What happened to USB host/OTG?

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
This was a feature intended for WinPho8.1, yes? Has it been pushed back to Win10?

Pardon if this isn't the correct place to be asking.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It was never on the WP8.1 list. It was a rumoured option.

Whether it comes out with W10 is anyone's guess. UOTG is specific to certain markets as others don't need it. Maybe it will be a low end device option only.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The feature would be helpful at times, especially with a larger device like the 1520. It's nice to be able to hook up a mouse and/or keyboard for certain tasks.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The feature would be helpful at times, especially with a larger device like the 1520. It's nice to be able to hook up a mouse and/or keyboard for certain tasks.

That would require the drivers for those devices. UOTG is mostly used for USB drives, which is pointless with the 1520.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not really.

Having the ability to plug in a flash drive and offline files like photos if traveling would be a nice feature.

I had a device with UOTG. A Nokia N8. I used it once or twice out of curiosity. Aside from having to carry the cable and extra drive around (I know not a big deal) you quickly learn it's not necessary when you have sufficient data allowance, WiFi and a SD card.

Like I said, it's mostly certain market that wants this. I do not see any need for it myself and my current phone that I have has the ability as well. I won't be using it, ever.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That would require the drivers for those devices. UOTG is mostly used for USB drives, which is pointless with the 1520.

Ah OK, I'm showing my ignorance here. I thought it was one and the same. On my Android devices I can plug in mouse/keyboard or a USB drive. I thought it was all the same function.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ah OK, I'm showing my ignorance here. I thought it was one and the same. On my Android devices I can plug in mouse/keyboard or a USB drive. I thought it was all the same function.

It's all the same port but to run other devices you still need drivers for them to work. If your device didn't recognize keyboard or mouse the UOTB would be simply a USB drive only. The Nokia N8 did the same thing.

MS for whatever reason has decided to stay away from allowing additional hardware for whatever reason.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Dammit, forgot to subscribe to the thread.

Anyway, wouldn't it be possible for MS to bundle in basic drivers like they do for Windows desktop? Chuck in mouse/keys/Xbox gamepad support and you've covered most bases...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99