Lets get the Snapchat situation trending

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So SnapChat deletes pics off your phone storage?

Yes. However, whether they're deleted off of Snapchat's "super secret servers" remains unknown.

Edit: Oh and my response to the dissertation you gave on why MS shouldn't pay for Snapchat was essentially stated in Xandros9's response.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So your personal use is how it should be for everybody? Six months ago Snapchat reported 100 million monthly users.

I personally don't use SnapChat. I only repeat what I read about why it became so popular so quickly.

There are a myriad ways of contacting people. I don't like to see users confuse preference with need. I understand some prefer to use SnapChat or other social media clients... I question the value of becoming so tied up in them that they become a need. I fail to see the point of what many of these services provide that can't be achieved through other means.

Often times this goes back to "my friends are all on there" or the ever popular "my family/friends/workmates won't contact me by any other venue." Really? They won't call? They can't text? Refuse to stop by in person? Don't know how to email? Never heard of a post office? Possess no other IM Clients? Exclusivity of contact method is 100% pure Grade A dung. If someone matters to you, or you to them - not having contact through any means but X does not make any sense.

Users often disagree with my point of view. That's fine. But I also try and provide concrete examples in my dialog to help encourage the same from those replying to me. I never said my way was the absolute, did I?

Outside of the "it is like crack and we need our dealer to stay on the platform" argument, no one has ever convinced me of any other indispensable reason to support any social media client.

kjordan_29

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the reply as I had no idea of that function.

No problem. I figured you weren't sure. You take a picture in the app, then you can type text over the picture or draw on it, and then send it to only the people you select from a list of friends. You can also record short clips. If you really like the picture or video, you can save them to your phone so you have a permanent copy, which I take advantage of sometimes.

bachansoo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Possible Snapchat news?

I sure hope they're working on something. This is getting ridiculous. I'm almost ready to switch platforms. No app gap my ***.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm really torn on this topic.

On one hand, the noticeable absence of Snapchat is hurting the platform and is a significant handicap to the countless (in the younger demographic) who value the service over Windows Phone. And everyone knows it...

Unfortunately this is all too correct and is the only argument I accept for me personally to support such an App.

...(Sorry RumoredNow, but you're probably in the minority...

Definitely, mine is a minority opinion. That may be why I get sooooo vocal about it at times. :D

...its a unique service/way of communication. one can show what they're doing to people, etc since these picture messages are so "cheap" and clean themselves up. something MMS and others haven't really done well. I'm not sure if I've really said what I wanted to convey, but I tried - I know I cant sway you either :). My phone is a tool of communication and hooking into social media as I see fit. I like Windows Phone more than I like Snapchat, but many people do not, especially as it already has a bad reputation for some reason among people.

I do appreciate that it has it's uses for most people who are not old cranks like me. :p

Sure, your position is a valid one, but it doesn't appear to be an exceedingly popular one.)

Thanks for paying attention... And yeah, my view is about as popular as "Let them eat cake!" was back in the day.

On the other hand, giving into these douches is something that sets a scary precedent, unless its under wraps (like NDA, but that might not help), and while not an exact match, I feel the quote "Never negotiate with terrorists. You'll only encourage more acts of terror." fits in well. Not saying Snapchat equals terrorists, but the core idea is there in rewarding bad behavior. (same analogy can be given to young children and maybe even North Korea)

​And that's the part that bums me out. I just can't see an OS maker being forced to pump their resources into supporting 3rd party services as in any way healthy for the ecosystem.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
​I just can't see an OS maker being forced to pump their resources into supporting 3rd party services as in any way healthy for the ecosystem.

Not all third party services, just the most popular ones. That allows for good "mind share" for consumers considering the switch.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not all third party services, just the most popular ones. That allows for good "mind share" for consumers considering the switch.

​Have you ever heard of "slippery slope" logic?

To an extent... How would that apply here?

If you draw a line... Say; 50% of users want it, so Microsoft should expend resources developing that 3rd party app. Why not 45%? Why not 33%? Why not 10% as every users becomes precious when fighting for market share the way Windows Phone has been doing?

Or an app that gains popularity then becomes eligible when formerly it was not. Why don't those devs then get their development cost refunded by Microsoft for becoming popular? Why do they not just abandon their App and now force Microsoft to create and maintain one from scratch?

Popular where? If Windows Phone doesn't have an App, but it is popular on iOS or Android, do they then have to spend time, money and resources replicating each and every "popular" App in those catalogs?

Where does it end?

There is no good place to draw a line here without inviting argument for more cases.

This is the slippery slope. Once you start on it you (potentially) slide all the way down that slippery slope until Microsoft pays the freight for every 3rd party service to have an App on Windows Phone.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Where does it end?

I understand your argument. However, when I say popular I mean services that become staples in a smartphone app list. The obvious ones: first it was facebook, then came Twitter, then Instagram. These are services that damn near everyone with a smartphone knows about. Snapchat has become one of those. When you ask where? It's only obvious; around 90% of the smartphone market owns either Android or iOS. Unless an app is touted as a platform exclusive it is usually on both of the aforementioned OSs. So get those "staple" services on Windows Phone via their damn near infinitely deep pockets. They can continue to work on expanding market share, once they've wrestled into second place they can much more easily negotiate their exit from "extortion" from 3rd party devs.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I understand your argument. However, when I say popular I mean services that become staples in a smartphone app list. The obvious ones: first it was facebook, then came Twitter, then Instagram. These are services that damn near everyone with a smartphone knows about. Snapchat has become one of those. When you ask where? It's only obvious; around 90% of the smartphone market owns either Android or iOS. Unless an app is touted as a platform exclusive it is usually on both of the aforementioned OSs. So get those "staple" services on Windows Phone via their damn near infinitely deep pockets. They can continue to work on expanding market share, once they've wrestled into second place they can much more easily negotiate their exit from "extortion" from 3rd party devs.

A) So the Slippery Slope applies you just want to be the one to define the terms so you are happy with it
B) Nice of you to spend Microsoft's money that way

As far as I know... Companies are in business to make money. Windows Phone has been a loss-leader for Microsoft for quite some time. To suggest that they have "damn near infinitely deep pockets" ignores all other aspects of running a business. No company expects to continue with a product at the cost of financial ruin. What you suggest would hasten that breaking point where Microsoft walks away from the loss-leader that is Windows Phone and declares it a total loss.

As far as I know... Companies are NOT in business to make money for others while they bleed resources away at a loss in support of those non-reciprocal entities.

I'd not be happy at all to see Microsoft cripple OS support by draining resources off to support a never ending barrage of current and emerging third party services. I'd rather go back to Android on a Nexus.

Look how many users are in an uproar over Microsoft Apps being released to and receiving support on other platforms.

If Microsoft decides they will pander to social media, develops the OS around them and creates Apps for their services it is simply shifting discontent to another group of users who would want to leave the platform. Myself among them. I'm already cheesed off I can't use my people tile in any size other than small because I refuse to have the Facebook icon blinking at me after I already deleted the App.

I don't want my OS of choice to be run on such a stupid business model of giving in to populist pressures with nothing to show for it but a big hole.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
A) So the Slippery Slope applies you just want to be the one to define the terms so you are happy with it
B) Nice of you to spend Microsoft's money that way.

A) it does apply however it'd be ignorant to assume that those are "my terms" I'm sure others (possibly including some at Microsoft) have had a similar vision for how "my terms" could be part of a successful business plan. Microsoft themselves stated that it is very important for them to have a presence in the mobile/smartphone market. To this day, four years and two months after the reimagining of their mobile strategy; 3% worldwide market share is hardly a presence. Catering to the mass consumer's wants is definitely a good way to sway them over to the Windows Phone camp. It seems there was a paradigm shift when Nadella took over however, it legitimately feels as though Microsoft no longer cares about having a strong presence in the smartphone market outside of small software like Office and OneDrive for iOS/Android, which they seem to be doing great with. I'm perfectly ok with that since the iPhone rocks, I did genuinely enjoy the WP UX however. It's a shame that they no longer care about it as I don't really see how W10 is going to help the situation, it simply reminds me of every other major phone release WP7 > WP7.5 > WP8 > WP8.1 > WP(WM?)10 each time served to only just incrementally increase market share, but every time it was predicted to "blow up" because of some nifty feature set or another. This time around it's the "unified/one OS" deal that's being touted. We can go on and on but in reality it's simple: Give the majority what they want and they'll have a much easier time adopting your platform.

B) see: A.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb