Is There a way to jailbreak the WP os or the cyanogenmod type of thing ?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android,Google android is at the top because of freedom,nelson Mandela fought because of freedom, world war,frech revolution were all because of no freedom, iOS and WP have no freedom,you have to fight in terms of jail breaking to get freedom,why don't Microsoft and apple ask themselves why people are jail breaking?, apple which made the first real smartphone has 12% market share after all this time of serving the world, android which has just debuted has taken over the world because it gives freedom,if anyone wants to complete with android they have got to give freedom!

You're confusing "freedom" and "open source". Jailbreaking Android/Apple allows the user to execute code/behaviour that isn't standard for the operating system. An open source like this is great if the developers are trustworthy. However, jailbreaking a system involves stripping out any security considerations which leaves the door wide open for malicious apps to be created. The app developers might well wrap those viruses in attractive interface elements or just entice you into installing them with a description of awesome functionality. As soon as you install and run them, you have no idea what might happen - they app might do what you expect, it might start silently calling premium rate phone lines, it might start logging andf transmitting your keystrokes, it might be stealing your contacts/bank details, it might start looking around your network (home and corporate), it might start using your device as part of a DoS attack on someone else. There are many risks, which people blindly (or not so blindly) accept.

Yes, you're describing a freedom of a sense, but you're also potentially making your device's security wide open (and free for anyone else).

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My brother instal custom ROM on his galaxy young and now it can't receive call, receive text, and when it connected on wifi network it's downloading something with strange mac address that isn't same with his device stated and wouldn't be found I any mac address lookup site. And It keep uses my bandwidth constantly. When I block the mac from router somehow it's mac address changed

Well if you want same thing happened with your devices I would stop you though

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The primary reason I "rooted" Android phones was to remove all the bloatware that came pre installed. I haven't seen any reason to do that on WP as any pre installed apps I don't want can be easily uninstalled in seconds.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android,Google android is at the top because of freedom

This is the best thing you said here. 100% right on the target. That is why people buy into Android; a perception of freedom. But it's freedom with risk... See all the other replies to your post for why. Freedom also entails consequences. One of the consequences of unbridled freedom is anarchy. Libertine attitudes often hide themselves in attractive, even romantic, guise in order to lull suspicion and deceive.

The vast majority of Android users are operating their handsets stock in any event... The notion that most Android users hack and mod is a misperception. People on these forums tend to forget we here are the minority. If you go to Android Central or iMore and ask, many will say they root or jailbreak. But this is a concentration of those types who are more likely to modify their device due to tech being seen as a major component in their lifestyle. Move that back out to the larger population and the percent of persons rooting or jailbreaking declines tremendously. People want their phone to "just work" without a lot of time spent tinkering and tweaking. The general public has a perception that rooting and jailbreaking will damage their device, void the warranty and decrease the value while increasing the risk that their device will cease functioning the way it should.

nelson Mandela fought because of freedom, world war,frech revolution were all because of no freedom, iOS and WP have no freedom,you have to fight in terms of jail breaking to get freedom,why don't Microsoft and apple ask themselves why people are jail breaking?

You are looking at this part backwards. By and large, the hacks and mods of Android come from outside the OS and 100% of jailbreaking technique and aftermarket Apps for jailbroken devices is outside of Apple. The OS maker isn't the one to accomplish this - it's outsiders literally "breaking in."

Apple is notorious for fighting jailbreaking. They regularly either reverse the jailbreak on the next update or lock the devices out of the update cycle. Apple doesn't want jailbreaking. Android has tolerated and even encouraged rooting and hacking, but even they will state that you are going it alone and no one is responsible for damage done to your device and its security except you.

To ask Microsoft to loosen security in Windows phone is to blow into the wind. You won't make any headway. It is against their philosophy of what the device is for, how it should be designed and how that functionality must be protected so that you and your data are safe from libertines.

apple which made the first real smartphone has 12% market share after all this time of serving the world, android which has just debuted has taken over the world because it gives freedom,if anyone wants to complete with android they have got to give freedom!

Palm, Microsoft and Nokia (along with some few others) pioneered the first smartphones. Apple did not invent the thing. They put it into slab form and made it hip with some brilliant marketing. They didn't start the concept by a long number of years. Please read a bit about Palm, Nokia and Windows Mobile... Android has not "just debuted" as it is almost as old as iPhone.

The first gen iPhone was released in June 2007.
The first commercial Android release was September 2008.
​Palm OS, Windows Mobile and Symbian all predate these two by a good many years.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
No, there's barely any chance for viruses or other malware to work on Windows powered phones. as they currently exist Even though it's one Windows across several devices, the phone version is stripped down. They do share the same Kernel (and they've been doing this since WP/Windows 8), but phones do have a limited API and instruction set available. Furthermore all apps and games are running in so called sandboxes, which means that each app allocates one specific part of the installed memory (RAM) without any chances of being hijacked by another app. On top of that each app is installed in it's own isolated storage on your device. It can't access any other app's storage and can't be accessed from other apps either.
And to top it all off, you're not gonna find any other bootloader as secure as the one used on WP devices. There's currently no way to bypass that, which would be required in order to perform a jailbreak/root.

Agree w poster with the RED exception, above

We don't know what Windows 10 will bring for phones. The closed (sandboxed) nature of the OS restricts interoperability. Certain DEVeloper APIs don't (yet) exist which will add the needed functionality & you can't write your own APIs (they won't work correctly).

I know I've over-simplified the explanation (to the point of trashing it) but dKp1977 may explain further.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Agree w poster with the RED exception, above

We don't know what Windows 10 will bring for phones. The closed (sandboxed) nature of the OS restricts interoperability. Certain DEVeloper APIs don't (yet) exist which will add the needed functionality & you can't write your own APIs (they won't work correctly).

I know I've over-simplified the explanation (to the point of trashing it) but dKp1977 may explain further.

Interoperability ain't bad for a closed system like WP. Apps can tie into the pictures hub (like OneDrive and Facebook), the people hub, the Me hub, they can offer a URI scheme that allows for launching an app from another one and even pass certain parameters. Unfortunately most devs just don't make use of it. The only app I'm aware of that ties into the pictures hub for example is Turtle Blog Viewer, which lets you access your Tumblr dashboard directly from the pictures hub and see all image posts there. The ways Microsoft lets apps interact with the OS or with one another is open enough to offer a wide range of functionality, while still maintaining a very high level of security.

I agree with what some have said in this thread that Android may be very open, hence offering almost limitless possibilities for developers and users, but that's not the very reason for its success. The majority of users doesn't even make use of most customization aspects Android offers. The reasons for its major success are more related to the fact that Google doesn't charge OEMs for the OS. And even more important, OEMs can alter the OS as they see fit, can use it on any kind of hardware, no matter how low the performance may be, which directly influences the price certain handsets are sold for. Another factor is marketing and PR. Just take a look at Samsung. There's little doubt, that specs aside, the Galaxy series never provided a great build quality nor a good UI. But Samsung invested millions and millions of dollars for commercials, advertising and more.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I miss an old Symbian app called Nokia Situations. That would be a major project for WinPhone.

It was a super-charged profile manager - i.e. it would set the phone up (adjust ringer, background, volume, WiFi, launch an app, etc.) based on location (both other locations & proximity to home), time, date, day, etc. I now turn WiFi OFF when I leave home & it turns ON automatically (near my favorite places), but Situations did both !

It was the Swiss Army Knife of Profiles, kinda like the memory seats concept for cars - except for work vs personal.

friartuck

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
there is a way to jailbreak a windows 8 tablet so if it is the same as a windows tablet then its easily found online but its not a permanent jailbreak meaning you must run the jailbreak everytime your device has been powered off, also note that this way may of been patched in an update

I wont post any links as I don't want to be in breach of any rules but just a quick search on google will yield the results

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there is a way to jailbreak a windows 8 tablet so if it is the same as a windows tablet then its easily found online but its not a permanent jailbreak meaning you must run the jailbreak everytime your device has been powered off, also note that this way may of been patched in an update

I wont post any links as I don't want to be in breach of any rules but just a quick search on google will yield the results

You're talking about the Surface RT, which is not exactly a Windows 8 tablet. It is a Windows RT tablet, it may seem picky of me to point that distinction out, but Windows RT is locked down more than typical Windows. (it cant even run most legacy programs)

There is no need to jailbreak Windows 8, or any version of traditional Windows because we already have access to system files. There are some safeguards and whatnot, but you can do as you please with a Windows PC.
f.lux?
various system tools?
all sorts of things are possible because Windows is an open platform. (not open as in open-source, but open as in you can throw practically anything on it)

unfortunately it means malware has more leeway to do damage, but such is the risk of freedom.

RT however? Sure, jailbreaking it is nice to be able to run the recompiled or the few desktop applications that will run unmodified. Unfortunately for that, Windows RT 8.1 broke the jailbreak, and it hasn't been jailbroken since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos