12-30-2014 09:37 PM
32 12
tools
    I know its a dumb question but its just some thoughts of mine cause I was thinking, if the WP os is made for those who wants simplicity and cleanliness why is it only focused there? why isn't there available os version for tech savvy/nerds people?, I'm pretty sure once in our life of using WP we wanted the endless customization and endless possibilities. Share your thoughts, no dumb/harassing comments please
    12-21-2014 03:49 AM
    Jailbreaking/rooting causes security issues. If one wishes to install custom ROMs, and one is aware of the potential security risks, Android is the best platform for him/her.
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    I totally agree with Laura. And I agree with mattJohn2 first sentence.
    Laura Knotek, noobchief and nohra like this.
    12-21-2014 03:59 AM
    I totally agree with guys, its why WP is my first or second choice when choosing my main phone because of the security issues. My next question is a bit off topic: So if its all about security, is that make the W10 more vulnerable/ less secure cause its basically a one os for multiple devices, Edit: So if they made a bug/virus/threat/etc for PC, mobile and tablet can be infected by the same bug too?
    Last edited by matt john2; 12-21-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    12-21-2014 04:13 AM
    I totally agree with guys, its why WP is my first or second choice when choosing my main phone because of the security issues. My next question is a bit off topic: So if its all about security, is that make the W10 more vulnerable/ less secure cause its basically a one os for multiple devices, Edit: So if they made a bug/virus/threat/etc for PC, mobile and tablet can be infected by the same bug too?

No, there's barely any chance for viruses or other malware to work on Windows powered phones. Even though it's one Windows across several devices, the phone version is stripped down. They do share the same Kernel (and they've been doing this since WP/Windows 8), but phones do have a limited API and instruction set available. Furthermore all apps and games are running in so called sandboxes, which means that each app allocates one specific part of the installed memory (RAM) without any chances of being hijacked by another app. On top of that each app is installed in it's own isolated storage on your device. It can't access any other app's storage and can't be accessed from other apps either.
    And to top it all off, you're not gonna find any other bootloader as secure as the one used on WP devices. There's currently no way to bypass that, which would be required in order to perform a jailbreak/root.
    Cree Ray, K_Arora5, nohra and 7 others like this.
    12-21-2014 04:44 AM
    Having used both iOS and Android, I used to systematically jailbreak my iPod Touch and install custom ROMs on Android. But I personally don't see the point on Windows Phone. I don't see any improvements Jailbreaking or custom ROM's could do.
    12-21-2014 08:42 AM
    There is not widespread jailbreak or root available for better or for worse. I wouldn't mind it, I had lots of fun jailbreaking my iPod touch and WP isn't perfect.

But it doesn't exist. Well, it does on some Samsung devices.
    matt john2 and Dk92 like this.
    12-21-2014 11:39 AM
    One of the reasons I decided to invest in WP was that I wouldn't have to jailbreak or root to get the best out of my device. I'm not saying that WP is perfect, nor am I saying that it couldn't use more customizing, but it works for me without having to hactivate the OS. iOS is almost at the point that I wouldn't want to jailbreak it anymore, and I would always have to root Android to get the true smoothness-and-stability combo.
    12-21-2014 11:48 AM
    There is not widespread jailbreak or root available for better or for worse. I wouldn't mind it, I had lots of fun jailbreaking my iPod touch and WP isn't perfect.

But it doesn't exist. Well, it does on some Samsung devices.
    Oh I'm not saying it's perfect. Obviously WP could benefit from some changes brought on by Jailbreaking like Apple did. Some of the most popular features on Cydia were integrated to iOS. It's just that right now I don't see the point. But if there was a sort of Cydia for WP then maybe I'd get into it! :)
    xandros9 and matt john2 like this.
    12-21-2014 12:51 PM
    virus coded for x86 wont run on phone hardware(arm) so unless intel and Microsoft have a phone in mind, no need to worry, on top of that you have what dKp1977 said, its astronomically impossible for this to happen(2014)
    matt john2 likes this.
    12-21-2014 01:33 PM
    To try and directly answering your question, the closest WP has to jailbreaking and rooting is developer unlocking. We did have ChevronWP7 which Microsoft actually backed, but that went to the wayside.
    12-21-2014 02:01 PM
    You can see here ( http : / / forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2451783 ) to know more.
    Note that since the last edit of the thread of the link, some things are appeared, although little useful, such as access to WPSystem folder of μSD card.
    12-21-2014 06:45 PM
    To try and directly answering your question, the closest WP has to jailbreaking and rooting is developer unlocking. We did have ChevronWP7 which Microsoft actually backed, but that went to the wayside.
    Now I see, MS started creating those third party features on chevronwp7 to the official os so now there's no point of doing it cause there are also apps available, and its also almost/impossible to root the OS. That's why some say its useless to do it in windows phones.
    12-21-2014 11:28 PM
    I think the closest I would recommend to "jail breaking" a WP would be to sign up for a free developer account, developer unlock your phone, and start playing with coding your own apps!
    12-22-2014 12:04 AM
    Cant do that yet....but if I could IDE love to see a win7 desktop theme with touch.....not even android can pull that off....yes one guy got close...but his app was pulled from google play.
    .....basically the concept is to make the windows mobile like the desktop UI....instead of the other way around that Microsoft is doing,and that is making the desktop more dumbed down to meet the mobile os.....its the easy way out,not the best though.
    12-22-2014 12:22 AM
    Cant do that yet....but if I could IDE love to see a win7 desktop theme with touch.....not even android can pull that off....yes one guy got close...but his app was pulled from google play.
    .....basically the concept is to make the windows mobile like the desktop UI....instead of the other way around that Microsoft is doing,and that is making the desktop more dumbed down to meet the mobile os.....its the easy way out,not the best though.

That sounds awful
    stephen_az and xandros9 like this.
    12-22-2014 12:25 AM
    thanks but I'm just a tech nerd not a developer, maybe someday.
    12-22-2014 12:39 AM
    Thank you, this is one of the most detailed comment ive seen.
    12-22-2014 12:42 AM
    I know its a dumb question but its just some thoughts of mine cause I was thinking, if the WP os is made for those who wants simplicity and cleanliness why is it only focused there? why isn't there available os version for tech savvy/nerds people?, I'm pretty sure once in our life of using WP we wanted the endless customization and endless possibilities. Share your thoughts, no dumb/harassing comments please
    Android,Google android is at the top because of freedom,nelson Mandela fought because of freedom, world war,frech revolution were all because of no freedom, iOS and WP have no freedom,you have to fight in terms of jail breaking to get freedom,why don't Microsoft and apple ask themselves why people are jail breaking?, apple which made the first real smartphone has 12% market share after all this time of serving the world, android which has just debuted has taken over the world because it gives freedom,if anyone wants to complete with android they have got to give freedom!
    12-22-2014 01:00 AM
    android,google android is at the top because of freedom,nelson mandela fought because of freedom, world war,frech revolution were all because of no freedom, ios and wp have no freedom,you have to fight in terms of jail breaking to get freedom,why don't microsoft and apple ask themselves why people are jail breaking?, apple which made the first real smartphone has 12% market share after all this time of serving the world, android which has just debuted has taken over the world because it gives freedom,if anyone wants to complete with android they have got to give freedom!

C+ needs improvement
    12-22-2014 02:41 AM
    Use C# dude
    12-22-2014 03:36 AM
    Android,Google android is at the top because of freedom,nelson Mandela fought because of freedom, world war,frech revolution were all because of no freedom, iOS and WP have no freedom,you have to fight in terms of jail breaking to get freedom,why don't Microsoft and apple ask themselves why people are jail breaking?, apple which made the first real smartphone has 12% market share after all this time of serving the world, android which has just debuted has taken over the world because it gives freedom,if anyone wants to complete with android they have got to give freedom!
    You're confusing "freedom" and "open source". Jailbreaking Android/Apple allows the user to execute code/behaviour that isn't standard for the operating system. An open source like this is great if the developers are trustworthy. However, jailbreaking a system involves stripping out any security considerations which leaves the door wide open for malicious apps to be created. The app developers might well wrap those viruses in attractive interface elements or just entice you into installing them with a description of awesome functionality. As soon as you install and run them, you have no idea what might happen - they app might do what you expect, it might start silently calling premium rate phone lines, it might start logging andf transmitting your keystrokes, it might be stealing your contacts/bank details, it might start looking around your network (home and corporate), it might start using your device as part of a DoS attack on someone else. There are many risks, which people blindly (or not so blindly) accept.

Yes, you're describing a freedom of a sense, but you're also potentially making your device's security wide open (and free for anyone else).
    12-22-2014 03:57 AM
    My brother instal custom ROM on his galaxy young and now it can't receive call, receive text, and when it connected on wifi network it's downloading something with strange mac address that isn't same with his device stated and wouldn't be found I any mac address lookup site. And It keep uses my bandwidth constantly. When I block the mac from router somehow it's mac address changed

Well if you want same thing happened with your devices I would stop you though
    12-22-2014 05:31 AM
    nelson Mandela fought because of freedom, world war,frech revolution were all because of no freedom
    Seriously?
    xandros9, badcat and nohra like this.
    12-22-2014 05:49 AM
    The primary reason I "rooted" Android phones was to remove all the bloatware that came pre installed. I haven't seen any reason to do that on WP as any pre installed apps I don't want can be easily uninstalled in seconds.
    12-22-2014 05:50 AM
32 12