The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I used to love the Windows OS and the Lumia phones, but I'm really getting tired of it... The app gap, the deleted 3rd party app 6Snap, the fact that Snapchat won't be on Windows Phone quick, the fact that Microsoft never thinks about Belgium for the release of updates,... France, Spain, Germany,... all those countries already have Lumia Denim on the 625, guess what, NOT A SINGLE LUMIA DEVICE IN BELGIUM HAS LUMIA DENIM!!! I'm really thinking about switching to Android... Windows OS is good but it never improves, it constantly stays the same. The lay-out of Windows OS has been the same as the lay-out from years ago. If WIndows doesn't change these things very quick i'm going to Android...
    a suser likes this.
    12-22-2014 06:51 AM
    I used to love the Windows OS and the Lumia phones, but I'm really getting tired of it... The app gap, the deleted 3rd party app 6Snap, the fact that Snapchat won't be on Windows Phone quick, the fact that Microsoft never thinks about Belgium for the release of updates,... France, Spain, Germany,... all those countries already have Lumia Denim on the 625, guess what, NOT A SINGLE LUMIA DEVICE IN BELGIUM HAS LUMIA DENIM!!! I'm really thinking about switching to Android... Windows OS is good but it never improves, it constantly stays the same. The lay-out of Windows OS has been the same as the lay-out from years ago. If WIndows doesn't change these things very quick i'm going to Android...
    Ok, have fun.
    12-22-2014 06:56 AM
    It's your money. If you think something else will work for you: Try it and buy it. Owning a phone isn't a religion and you don't owe a company your allegiance or loyalty. Buy what works for you.
    12-22-2014 06:57 AM
    They do not change these thing quick. So if you can not live with it you have indeed to change. But windows is now much better than a year ago. If you want to have early OS updates you can use P4D.
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 12-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    NafcMontana likes this.
    12-22-2014 06:59 AM
    12-22-2014 07:04 AM
    I think Harrie-S meant P4D - Preview for Developers.
    12-22-2014 07:12 AM
    Indeed corrected it
    12-22-2014 07:14 AM
    I think Harrie-S meant P4D - Preview for Developers.
    what is p4d?
    12-22-2014 07:22 AM
    Now would be a good time to try something else if you really are not happy. Android has Lollipop, and IOS has just been updated and both systems offer advantages that windows can't right now. I firmly believe that Microsoft has put windows phone on the back burner because of the massive effort of getting windows 10 to ship on time with all the promises that they made. Now, things will be different fall of 2015 when Microsoft transitions over to their one OS.

Switch now and enjoy for a year. Your Microsoft account will still be waiting for you if you decided to come back in a year.
    David Van Ryn and typhon62_1 like this.
    12-22-2014 07:22 AM
    what is p4d?
    Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview, all you need to know!

But I maintain getting on the Preview for Developers just to get fast track updates is the wrong reason to get in the program. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tm#post2867589

As for updates... I've not seen denim. I'm waiting patiently. The vast majority of users who will get the most from the update have not gotten it (930/Icon and 1520).

How has user patience grown so thin?

Most people who have Lollipop Android have it through purchase of a new device. Honestly, most Android OEMs push one update to your device if you are lucky or two if you have a flagship. Then they are done. They want you buying a new handset. Apple is the same. Even though the iPhone is homogeneous and not a mix of hardware arrays, Apple still drops out your model from the update after two years.

Microsoft is at least making an effort to bring everyone along. Can't we calm down a bit and wait our turn in civilized fashion? There are a disturbing number of these threads that are the verbal equivalent of pushing and shoving to get to the head of the line. And some have the dreaded "or else" addendum. Gimme now or else I'll leave!!!

Before you switch, do yourself the favor and look into the other forums: Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com & iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com to see how very many there are crying about updates and how they aren't getting them fast enough or at all...

Want to see what marginalized really feels like? Read a bit over at these places: BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com & webOS Forums at webOS Nation

Whatever you choose, I hope it brings you happiness.
    badcat, Noahma, ajb1965 and 10 others like this.
    12-22-2014 10:42 AM
    I agree with RumoredNow that users are expecting things this instant and if they don't get it they throw their teddies out of the pram (US: stroller). Patience...

Having been on Android before, I wouldn't go back for love nor money. That bridge has been well and truly burnt...

As for the app situation, things are improving near enough daily, so wait patiently. If you can't, that's your choice...

G.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-22-2014 01:51 PM
    Belgium is a tiny country...I wouldn't expect Microsoft putting too much effort in the Belgian market.
    12-22-2014 01:53 PM
    RumoredNow hits the nail on the head here.

If you can't be patient for updates with WP, then you're pretty much going to be out of luck, because you won't even get it this good on other platforms.

If you can't learn to be content where you are now, you'll never be content anywhere, even if it has everything you say you want, within a few weeks or months, you'll be regretting something else. People who are discontent will always find a reason to be discontent. That's been my experience in life.

I'm in the US on AT&T, and I have no idea when I'll get Denim or the 8.1 Update. Am I worried about it? No. As a matter of fact, I just purchased 3 more Windows Phones, because I know the updates will happen soon enough for me, because I'm patient.

As far as apps, it appears you seem to mostly be in a tizzy over Snapchat. Sorry you can't send lewd pictures of yourself in a falsely-secure manner anymore. But there is no such thing anyway, as long as phones can take a screenshot. Never, ever count on a self-destruct message or picture of any sort, because there is no such thing in our digital age. Before you can delete a tweet, it's had a screen-shot taken and posted everywhere already. Nothing is private like this. You want something private? Don't send it. That's good advice for pretty much everyone, and may someday save your job.

I'm really getting sick of all the Snapchat whiners. If you've got to have it that bad, then leave. Whining about it accomplishes nothing.

Either make up your mind to be patient, or change platforms. Drama isn't necessary.

Sorry, I'm just getting sick of these posts.
    Alexis-1991 and RumoredNow like this.
    12-22-2014 02:06 PM
    I'm in the US on AT&T, and I have no idea when I'll get Denim or the 8.1 Update. Am I worried about it? No. As a matter of fact, I just purchased 3 more Windows Phones, because I know the updates will happen soon enough for me, because I'm patient.
    You got it figured out! A phone should be bought for what it is, not on a rumor of what it will become. If you're not happy with it like it is now, don't buy it.
    RumoredNow and ajb1965 like this.
    12-22-2014 02:18 PM
    First off, Denim was JUST released. It's just not Belgium that doesn't have Denim yet. I have an unlocked 820 from UK. It doesn't have Denim yet either. Patience is a virtue. Just remember, IT'S COMING!! Secondly, my wife just got a Nexus 5. It hasn't received Lollipop yet. So you'll get the same issue on other platforms. Thirdly, you have to assess what you want out of your device (not if it can do everything that other devices can do). What do you use your device for? Is Snapchat a priority for you? If so, then you might have to leave WP. If not, what's the problem? Are the apps that are missing on WP ones that you personally use? In short, If a device/platform meets YOUR needs and does so flawlessly, that's all that matters. Don't worry about comparing with other platforms things that don't even matter to you. I know WP has some severe shortcomings compared to the other platforms. The thing is, those don't matter AT ALL to me. What I require from my smartphone is met in EVERY way with WP.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-22-2014 02:50 PM
    There's a perception that because Lollipop has been released, if you move to Android you'll end up with Lollipop on your device. Sadly, most devices won't get it. Sony is only updating it's flagship phones, Samsung will update the most recent devices. Many with Motorola devices are still waiting for their promised update... Grass isn't greener on the the Android side of the fence.

Sure, there are fewer apps on WP, and for some people the SnapChat issue is a deciding factor. Nothing I can say about that, as I'm not a SnapChat user. But if I were, I wouldn't want to be spending hundreds of pounds on an Android device when the chances of it receiving an update are slim.

At the moment I have an Android phone as a back up; perhaps you could do the same?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-22-2014 03:33 PM
    There's a perception that because Lollipop has been released, if you move to Android you'll end up with Lollipop on your device. Sadly, most devices won't get it. Sony is only updating it's flagship phones, Samsung will update the most recent devices. Many with Motorola devices are still waiting for their promised update... Grass isn't greener on the the Android side of the fence.
    You're correct. That is one of the downsides of Android. But OTOH, updates are not as critical on Android. We are waiting on WP updates to bring features or capabilities that iOS & Android already have. WP is in catch-up mode.
    12-22-2014 03:49 PM
    Thats a good reason why the Nexus 7 was such a good deal. Access to Apps we miss on WP, even if Android Tablet Apps are still somewhat limited, its still better than WP. Plus, Nexus will get all updates that the hardware can handle. Just got 5.0.1 on my 7 (2013) a week or so ago. The 2012 model just got 5.0.2 I think, special release just for it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-22-2014 03:49 PM
    If you must get Android, get Nexus... The advantages are enormous.
    12-22-2014 03:55 PM
    i don't care for apps, what i care is features which are must in every phone and which were part of earlier Nokia phones

video calling from front facing camera - not present in Windows phones
    card slot - not present in Windows phones
    5" screen *not in Nokia phones but required in all windows phones
    assigning songs as ringtones without the need the copying them in a specified folder

the list goes on
    12-22-2014 04:13 PM
    Go find something else you can live with for a year or so till we can see if MS actually still cares about WP. I recently jumped ship and I'm while getting used to Android I really miss just how easy WP is to use. The app gap really didn't bug me all that much, but the lack of new top of the line hardware at ATT did bug me. I really hope MS comes through with a home run but I have a bad feeling 2015 is not going to be a great year for WP.
    12-22-2014 04:18 PM
    i don't care for apps, what i care is features which are must in every phone and which were part of earlier Nokia phones

video calling from front facing camera - not present in Windows phones
    card slot - not present in Windows phones
    5" screen *not in Nokia phones but required in all windows phones
    assigning songs as ringtones without the need the copying them in a specified folder

the list goes on
    You list 4 gripes here.
    1. Yes, you can do video calls from the front facing camera. Many Windows Phone models have a front facing camera that support this. It's not our fault if you bought the 520 that doesn't have the front facing camera. You should have been able to know what cameras a phone has before you purchased.
    2. Card slot not present in Windows Phones? Wow! That's news to me! How the heck am I accessing my 64GB SD Card? Maybe because there is a CARD SLOT present in my Windows Phone! Again, check the features of the phone you are purchasing. Only a select few do not offer the SD Card expansion slot.
    3. 5" screen not in Nokia phones? Okay, now I know you've lost it. I'm not even going to bother telling you which models have this, because apparently you've never actually looked at a Windows Phone considering you're already on your 3rd strike out of 3 swings.
    4. Ringtones are easy enough to handle. Get Microsoft's own Ringtone Maker, and it will get you going easy enough with that, and you'll get a better ringtone as well.

The list goes on... Or should we say "the fallacies go on."

If those are the reasons you want to jump ship for a different phone OS, please, do yourself and us a favor and jump. The plank to use for jumping is just behind you and a little to the left. Watch that last step, it's a loo loo. Megalodon is waiting.
    Rajat Malhotra and RumoredNow like this.
    12-22-2014 08:54 PM
    Belgium is a tiny country...I wouldn't expect Microsoft putting too much effort in the Belgian market.
    That's not really good enough. The OPs concerns are valid on this matter. I'm from bloody London, that's a megacity yeah? And I'm still using this bugged out dev preview UPDATE ONE on my HTC 8X.

I wouldn't go as far as jumping ship just yet. Windows phone is Lumia, so that's clearly where everyone needs to be if they want anything from Microsoft anyway.

The HTC situation can't be that unfortunate (for any sympathisers out there) as they have time to make w8s and cool Cortana cases. Only HTC 8X owners, outside America, have any right to feel marginalised!
    12-22-2014 09:07 PM
    12-22-2014 09:32 PM