Am I the only one that notices micro stutter in WP 8.1?

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Using the Lumia 830.

I see this in almost all app's, on the home screen (when swiping finger down mostly), see it in the app's list, the battery app, etc...

People keep telling me there's is fine, but on my phone and my girlfriend's phone it is clearly stuttering. Both 830's

Some native app's scroll without any stuttering, other simply lag.
I tried most of the tweaks suggested on this and other forums with no result. My lumia 820 never had this issue!

Please let me know how your phone is doing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think all of the WP8 devices I've had have done it, even before 8.1. On my 920 it's very obvious. I just figured it was a "feature!" I notice it mostly in the Settings menu. Slightly, but very noticeably jerky.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hm this is interesting. I have a 920 and a 635, both with 8.1 and Cyan. If I'm seeing the same thing as the OP, my 635 feels quite a bit laggier than my 920. I attributed this to either a lower refresh rate on the 635 (didn't Nokia tout the 920 as having 60 Hz refresh rate?), or else the Snapdragon 400 chip isn't handling WP8.1 well. I'm not sure, thought my experience might help narrow the issue down.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I would disagree with tgp that all WP devices have micro stutter, or at least I have not noticed it. I don't recall seeing any jitter on a L820, ever. However I do agree that the L830 is particularly susceptible to this. I have yet to see it in 1st party apps, but in 3rd party apps micro stutter seems quite common. This will very likely be true of every L830. At least every device I've seen exhibited the same thing.

It's not lag however. The L830 tracks my finger pretty much perfectly. Micro stutter is seen best when scrolling through graphical lists at a medium speed.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the problem from time to time (not always) and specially when closing an app pressing back until I get to the menu. I'm using a Lumia 920.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Its definitely there on my 928, but the 8.1 OS feels faster somehow than 8.0 did despite the stutters.

Overall I like the feel of 8.1 better.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would disagree with tgp that all WP devices have micro stutter,

I disagree with that too, but that isn't what I said. All the ones I have used extensively have it. However, that consists of a 520 and a couple 920s. I have little experience outside of those models. I did have a few 521s as well but I used them very little. I was surprised; it was not the butter smooth experience I was expecting.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think 8.1 stutters more than 8.0. It most definitely stalls and resumes more, but maybe that's the Band driver being a bit raw. Guess I should try turning that off for a few days.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Its definitely there on my 928, but the 8.1 OS feels faster somehow than 8.0 did despite the stutters.

Overall I like the feel of 8.1 better.

I would take 8.0's smoothness any day, 8.1 tries too hard to be faster and it just looks bad sometimes, a lot of frame skipping

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Really? You've NEVER seen a 1st party app to this? Fascinating *cough* Xbox music *cough*

lol, as I recall, so far I have opened that app on my L830 just once... no micro stutter at all and completely smooth (I also had no songs on my device at the time). 😇

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I hope WP10 will bring better performance and all-round better experience (less stutter, etc..), they have a very interesting platform on they're hands.
I would hate to see it go away cause of people losing interest.

tried the other platforms and didn't like what i saw, tried Wp and was sold true my old phone Lumia 820, now all i see and read is issues and good hardware under-performing..

In some apps it works flawlessly, internet explorer is the least stuttering of the original app's. And on the 3th party list, i found Insider pro to be working absolutely flawlessly, even in the longer list's scrolling. So it IS possible to make this phone and other Lumia's run the OS and other app's without hick-up's. Go Microsoft, Gooo i believe in this platform and defend it when i can, don't let me down :) (i know they don't read this, but still wanted to say it :) )

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
if you mean slight lag during animation of returning to start screen remove cortana live tile

Good find! I really don't pin Cortana on start screen so it's smooth, but I tried to pin it now (to test it) and it really lags after I pinned it! I removed it again and the lags gone.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

i have tried to record stuttering in slow motion (240fps) maybe it helps, hope you can see sort of jumping there when swiping with finger on screen in contrast to smooth swiping in the end of video where i lift finger form screen :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077