The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-29-2014 09:55 PM
95 1234
tools
    I'm not a fanboy. But a friends company started out with a couple of iphones.....wel even apple have troubles in paradise.
    12-27-2014 07:38 AM
    WOW; not one WP fanboy steps up to the plate. Go with the Windows phone and be safe and happy. Development on the software integration between Surface tablets will only get better. When Windows 10 reaches the market, most all WP 8 devices will be upgradable.

Even better, Win 10 OS is said to be fairly transparent between all devices. That will not be the case with IOS going forward; at least, not to the extent that MS ecosystem will have.

I truly hope the new MS members that have recently joined WC sees these post and realize the mindset that is going on within the MS products now. I would hope this post would be an eye opener to them.
    It means we are honest with people. We all hang in limbo until Win 10 comes out and is on a device. We have decent phones but our future is cloudy at best.
    Jakez98 and AngrySprintUser like this.
    12-27-2014 07:44 AM
    I'm surprised at the recommendations not to try it. This is WINDOWS Central, right...?
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    12-27-2014 08:01 AM
    I'm surprised at the recommendations not to try it. This is WINDOWS Central, right...?
    This is WINDOWS Central with a dose of realism...

The general consensus is to stick with the iPhone 6 for now, and check out WP when W10 is released. That would be my advice as well. The OP has some serious business requirements for his phone, and it's no time for blind fanboyism. A personal device? Sure. But not here.
    12-27-2014 08:16 AM
    Mr allen,
    Just pick up a 520/525 for like 20 cents try it out yourself, experience it, download all the apps you need, test it out, see if you like it, then if you do, get the 930 or 1520.
    12-27-2014 08:41 AM
    Serious business requirements? My phone is my work tool and suits me perfectly (L930). But again if this is a "hard-core" business tool, none of the above are right. A BlackBerry 10 device is. Again, from pure business perspective. Otherwise switching from the iPhone 6 to a WP will do just fine. Hey, he can always buy one and give a test drive, he doesn't like it, returns it and keep the iPhone. Because again, it comes down to every individual.
    link68759 and banger696 like this.
    12-27-2014 08:45 AM
    This makes me proud to be a Windows Phone user, because this shows that we're not a bunch of fanboys. We recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each platform.

It has become more apparent than ever that MS is focused on bringing better experiences and features to competing platforms. So when Windows 10 comes, it's going to be a major deciding factor whether I'll stay with WP or switch my family to iOS and Android.
    tgp, Allen S, JRF_1986 and 3 others like this.
    12-27-2014 08:54 AM
    I'd stay put. MS apps actually run better on IOS.
    Allen S likes this.
    12-27-2014 08:54 AM
    I just switched back from a WP to an iPhone 6+. While I really liked the HTC One M8 Windows phone I had, I prefer the Apple ecosystem and have been primarily an Apple guy for quite a few years. The side benefit is that the MS apps are better at this point in time on iOS than they are on WP.

That should change over time, it just is the way it is now. Because of that I would think keeping the iPhone 6 makes more sense than making the switch now.
    Jakez98 and Allen S like this.
    12-27-2014 09:08 AM
    Wow! I was so amazed with the responses. Makes me feel so proud as a member of this Windows phone community.

Back to the topic, I would suggest you try with the entry/mid tier phones. 5xx or 6xx phones. Try it and experience it yourself. If you like it, then go with the 1520/930. Otherwise, keep your iPhone.
    12-27-2014 09:11 AM
    Hi Alan, Looks like someone needs to step in here that actually uses Windows phone in an office environment. We also had a mixed environment at one time ( iPhones, ipads, desktop PCs). We made the decision to standardize and moved all of our devices to the Windows platform with a mix of desktop PCs, laptops, windows phones, and surface.

We also use a mix of on prem office and office365 with SharePoint and exchange across all devices.

The level of integration across devices with MS windows is heads and shoulders above any other platform and is the primary factor to consider.

As to our windows phones we have had them just over a year and they have been rock solid with very few issues and actually prefer the windows phone os over ios.

Now as to office integration on ios, android or windows phone - Number one the current level of office integration on any of these platforms are adequate for a mobile device and will only continue to get better, however as a heavy user of MS Office although handy for very basic editing etc, content creation and your primary office functions are much better suited to either a desktop/laptop - even a tablet is going to be restrictive in function.

My point being - don't make your overall platform choices based on Mobile office use.
    JRF_1986, banger696 and Allen S like this.
    12-27-2014 09:19 AM
    agree, app thing is frustrating tho, but you can Try a cheap Windows phone and see for yourself..
    if it works for you great, if not you can still have iphone..
    12-27-2014 09:33 AM
    Wow what a joke of responses. I only counted one or two where someone actually suggested the OP try it with a budget phone to get their own opinion.

Anyway, I am an IT Manager and we also recently switched from iPhones to Windows Phones for our users. The reasoning was the same as the OP... We have started rolling out Surface 3 tablets to our high end users and Dell devices to our mid tier users.

Anyway, we had migrated almost everyone from iPhone to Windows phone except our President, a die hard Apple fan. He came to me a couple weeks ago and asked me why he still had an iPhone when everyone else had a new windows device. (Apparently everyone was afraid to approach him about this). He asked me to get him setup, so we gave him a Lumia 635 (just as a trial). I checked in with him yesterday and he said he loved it and was enjoying using it much more than his iPhone. He commented that it was easy to use, and he liked how all his office 365 SharePoint docs and sites showed right up in the office hub. He loved it, to say the least and wants me to get him a higher end phone now with a bit better camera.

Point is, try it. You may be surprised.
    12-27-2014 09:36 AM
    Thank you! So, what phone would you recommend? I have heard several of my colleagues say the exact same thing about SharePoint in the Office hub and the ease of it all. I am currently on Verizon, obviously in a contract since my 6 is new. I am not opposed to moving to AT&T (they only show a few phones in the store) and paying the ETF with Verizon by selling my iPhone for much more than the ETF. That would leave me with some money left over. I don't think I need the very best phone just for having it...rather a phone that will be capable of everything I need to do. Ex - we switched to the SP3 and got the i5 rather than i7 because its more than enough power for what we need.
    12-27-2014 09:50 AM
    Good to hear!
    12-27-2014 09:51 AM
    The other piece of the puzzle is that I use Outlook on my Surface Pro 3 (via Office 365/Exchange) for my tasks and categorization, etc. and I understood that the Windows Phone would support that organization/categorizations of tasks, etc. instead of having to purchase 3rd party apps/software to make it work.

You'll want a third party app for that (I recommend 2day) because while there is a native ability to manage these tasks, it's very simplistic.
    In the US, the Lumia 520 is $20 off contract on Amazon. Get it, take it for a test drive.
    12-27-2014 09:55 AM
    Thank you! So, what phone would you recommend? I have heard several of my colleagues say the exact same thing about SharePoint in the Office hub and the ease of it all. I am currently on Verizon, obviously in a contract since my 6 is new. I am not opposed to moving to AT&T (they only show a few phones in the store) and paying the ETF with Verizon by selling my iPhone for much more than the ETF. That would leave me with some money left over. I don't think I need the very best phone just for having it...rather a phone that will be capable of everything I need to do. Ex - we switched to the SP3 and got the i5 rather than i7 because its more than enough power for what we need.
    I'd suggest giving the Lumia 635 on ATT off contract a whirl. You can pick it up as a go phone with ATT for around $99.

Or if you want to go even cheaper there's the Lumia 520, but that's really bottom of the barrel haha
    12-27-2014 09:59 AM
    Definitely switch to WP. You wont regret it, better yet try it for yourself. I love my 1520, best phone ever!
    12-27-2014 10:02 AM
    It's not too big for you? It just seems massive and kinda too big to hold up and take phone calls...
    12-27-2014 10:06 AM
    It means we are honest with people. We all hang in limbo until Win 10 comes out and is on a device. We have decent phones but our future is cloudy at best.
    So what will you hang in limbo about when Win 10 has been out about a year. You are a windows phone user; say so. Don't just give the bad points in your recommendation to others. Offer both sides; things you like and things you don't. If you are so hung in space, why not give one of the other OS's a try.

I'm not jumping your bones, I'm just asking you to be fair. There are things about the Win world that I don't like and there are things I just love. When asked my opinion, I try to be "honest as you say" and give the good and bad.

Must be tough to go through each day not pleased about anything.
    12-27-2014 10:24 AM
    WOW; not one WP fanboy steps up to the plate. Go with the Windows phone and be safe and happy. Development on the software integration between Surface tablets will only get better. When Windows 10 reaches the market, most all WP 8 devices will be upgradable.

Even better, Win 10 OS is said to be fairly transparent between all devices. That will not be the case with IOS going forward; at least, not to the extent that MS ecosystem will have.

I truly hope the new MS members that have recently joined WC sees these post and realize the mindset that is going on within the MS products now. I would hope this post would be an eye opener to them.
    Yes, but those are all future promises. MS, Apple and Google tend to leap frog one another but it feels like MS is always the one trying to catch up.

As of now iOS has better MS product integration, more functional camera and video, supports airprint and airplay (mirrorcast f'ing sucks horribly in comparison), has the best messaging (to other Apple devices), better styled hardware, better support. As far as mapping and navigation go iOS wins as you can use google and the native app. Google services are just about non-existent on the platform. I also can't find any working remote apps for any of my home devices. I say all this being a MS fanboy :).

I'm holding out for WP10 but the wait for Denim is bad enough.

In the end I think Microsoft's strategy to work everywhere will be a win for them. I just hope they don't neglect their own ecosystem in the process. It should at least be slightly better on their own platform.
    etad putta likes this.
    12-27-2014 10:27 AM
    I'd suggest giving the Lumia 635 on ATT off contract a whirl. You can pick it up as a go phone with ATT for around $99.

Or if you want to go even cheaper there's the Lumia 520, but that's really bottom of the barrel haha
    You're off on your pricing. With a little searching the 635 can be found for as little as 40-60 bucks.
    12-27-2014 10:28 AM
    Sorry to burst the bubble guys - especially those who have blatantly knocked down WP over iOS. None of those posts have mentioned anything real to address OP's usage at all.

Let's say OP has a business that needs employees to be:
    Always connected on Exchange email - WP does it.
    Always connected to their docs and do realtime sync of docs between SP3 and WP - WP does it.
    Always be able to share docs without clogging emails by a central OneDrive storage - WP does that.
    Be able to use Lync or Skype for business communication or calls - WP does it. (you can even elevate normal voice call to Skype call!)
    Sync Notes and share notes amongst themselves - WP does it.
    Be always connected for a short term project and make notes, share photos about products/client sites - Create a Room for quick chats right within SMS hub - WP does it.
    Sync Business address book that is updated on all WP as well as SP3 - WP does it.
    Get 1TB of storage per employee with Office 365 subscription - SP3 and WP does it!

Guys, I agree, Office is slightly better on iOS than WP but OP clearly mentioned they've moved onto SP3 so they would do major work on SP3 when it comes to Office. What they may need is being able to make quick edits on WP on their Excel or PPT - WP does it!
    Cortana - she will remind all employees of their appointments, track their flights, remind them to say "You are amazing, boss!" to their employer every time they reach work.

If the employees are free during lunch, they can even make an alliance and play Age of Empires on their SP3 or WP - they so can't on their iPhones.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 12-27-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    12-27-2014 10:47 AM
    Sorry to burst the bubble guys - especially those who have blatantly knocked down WP over iOS. None of those posts have mentioned anything real to address OP's usage at all.

Always connected to their docs and do realtime sync of docs between SP3 and WP - WP does it.
    Always be able to share docs without clogging emails by a central OneDrive storage - WP does that.
    Be able to use Lync or Skype for business communication or calls - WP does it. (you can even elevate normal voice call to Skype call!)
    Be always connected for a short term project and make notes, share photos about products/client sites - Create a Room for quick chats right within SMS hub - WP does it.
    Sync Business address book that is updated on all WP as well as SP3 - WP does it.
    Get 1TB of storage per employee with Office 365 subscription - SP3 and WP does it!

Guys, I agree, Office is slightly better on iOS than WP but OP clearly mentioned they've moved onto SP3 so they would do major work on SP3 when it comes to Office. What they may need is being able to make quick edits on WP on their Excel or PPT - WP does it!
    Cortana - she will remind all employees of their appointments, track their flights, remind them to say "You are amazing, boss!" to their employer every time they reach work.

If the employees are free during lunch, they can even make an alliance and play Age of Empires on their SP3 or WP - they so can't on their iPhones.
    All very interesting points. With all these positives one would think many companies would be switching over to windows phones. Is there any way to find out that this is actually happening?
    12-27-2014 11:26 AM

Sure WP does it. But it doesn't do it any better, and in some cases worse. That's not even mentioning what it won't do at all.
    12-27-2014 11:33 AM
95 1234