WP a lost cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahmoud Hussein

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
So I'm a Nokia huge fan, I have a WP now because Nokia made a WP. after two years using the OS I started to think that it's really a lost cause! I really like the OS but I am really disappointed with the market share, the app gap and popularity of the OS. And now Nokia is gone, no manufactures seem to have plans for releasing a WP! And Microsoft isn't doing very well! Where is the 925 successor? The 1020 successor? Are they even planing to release any High-end flagship soon? Or they're waiting for Windows 10 which I think would be a disappointment just like WP8! What do you think?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Flagships will be released after W10 has been announced and MS will need to get it right, because anything short of spectacular could hit them hard.. On the way there, we will most likely only see handsets for emerging markets and those are the handsets that really drive the sales. If you want a flagship then go for the 930 or 1520 you might be surprised at how well those handsets can keep up and even compete with handsets from the competition that have the latest specs. The WP platform is unique and W10 (IF executed in the right matter) will enhance our daily experience, but honestly you're calling quits after just two years? And why should the market share matter to an average user? Unless you're a dev..

Edit: Rumors are circulating that Nokia might jump on to the Android ship, so you have sth to look forward too :)

Mahmoud Hussein

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Flagships will be released after W10 has been announced and MS will need to get it right, because anything short of spectacular could hit them hard.. On the way there, we will most likely only see handsets for emerging markets and those are the handsets that really drive the sales. If you want a flagship then go for the 930 or 1520 you might be surprised at how well those handsets can keep up and even compete with handsets from the competition that have the latest specs. The WP platform is unique and W10 (IF executed in the right matter) will enhance our daily experience, but honestly you're calling quits after just two years? And why should the market share matter to an average user? Unless you're a dev..

Edit: Rumors are circulating that Nokia might jump on to the Android ship, so you have sth to look forward too :)

I have a 925 now and I like it. I care about the market share because it's the reason why we have this huge app gap! Nokia isn't the Nokia I loved since the 3310, not anymore and I really don't like Android.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Some have said this before and I agree with them.. The "app gap" is subjective.. There are many users out there that are quite content with the apps we have now and can mostly find another app to serve their needs if the one they're looking for isn't actually available. As the situation stands, WP isn't the place to be if you want the latest app/games on your phone (not yet)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Some have said this before and I agree with them.. The "app gap" is subjective.. There are many users out there that are quite content with the apps we have now and can mostly find another app to serve their needs if the one they're looking for isn't actually available. As the situation stands, WP isn't the place to be if you want the latest app/games on your phone (not yet)
I agree. I'm not a big social media user (only use Twitter and Instagram), and I don't have issues with the apps available for either. I also don't play alot of mobile games, since I prefer PC gaming.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone does what I need it to, do I not want more and better apps? Of course but I don't feel I'd do better with a Android or iPhone

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The "app gap" is subjective.

Very true. As I am not a social media user, the only app gap I see is in what Android offers. There are apps I use on Windows for which I cannot find an Android app that matches or exceeds the functionality of the Windows app. In fact, nothing on Android came close.

I was reading articles last night that were written last year or the beginning of this year. They suggested that MSFT stop WinPhone development and instead fork Android. There are potential legal issues, but those aside, if MSFT forks android, they could develop it as they wish, but apps could be ported over with minimum of difficulty.

It sounds like a reasonable idea, but you're still essentially running Android with all its inherent issues.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

That would be amazing. I just bought my first Windows phone yesterday, the Lumia 830, and while I love the look of the OS, it does leave quite a bit to be desired compared to Android, IMO. What I'm really impressed with however, is the build quality of the phone. For a mid range device, this thing is just phenomenal. I'd kill to have a phone like this (albeit with better specs) running Android. I know that Nokia has an Android tablet coming out soon that is dirt cheap yet looks absolutely gorgeous. Also, Nokia released their own Android launcher called Z Launcher, and I really like it. It's completely different than any other launcher out there, and not in a gimmicky way- it's actually very well thought out and useful. I'd love to see what Nokia would do with a high end Android handset.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That would be amazing. I just bought my first Windows phone yesterday, the Lumia 830, and while I love the look of the OS, it does leave quite a bit to be desired compared to Android, IMO. What I'm really impressed with however, is the build quality of the phone. For a mid range device, this thing is just phenomenal. I'd kill to have a phone like this (albeit with better specs) running Android. I know that Nokia has an Android tablet coming out soon that is dirt cheap yet looks absolutely gorgeous. Also, Nokia released their own Android launcher called Z Launcher, and I really like it. It's completely different than any other launcher out there, and not in a gimmicky way- it's actually very well thought out and useful. I'd love to see what Nokia would do with a high end Android handset.
My understanding is that because of the acquisition of Nokia's hardware division, by Microsoft, they won't be able to put out any new phones till 2017.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you should really decide what exactly you need out of your device and then make a decision. Yes, there is an app gap. But do you REALLY use any of those apps, I know I don't so the "app gap" doesn't bother me much.

People always talk and compare platforms with the assumption everyone uses their devices the same or need the same things. I know several of my friends that have gotten the latest and greatest devices (Note, Galaxy, One Plus One, iPhone 6) just because it can supposedly "do everything." When it comes down to it, I observe how they use their devices and they are not even utilizing a quarter of what their devices can do! For example, the latest Note can do a "picture within a picture" app multitasking thing. The person I know that has it doesn't even know that feature exists! My other friend has an iPhone 6. They STILL don't utilize the cloud sync features to the fullest. Facetime? they don't use that either. Several of my friends have these new flagship devices and all they do is text, check facebook, and surf the internet. They don't game, they barely download any apps, and they don't even explore all the new "features" available on their devices.

Bottom line, don't let others persuade you to switch because of features you know you don't use. If WP is lacking in something you just have to have, switch to another OS. Decide what YOU want/need out of your device, not what other people "brag" about what their devices can do (and probably don't even use). If WP meets those needs, no need to switch. If not, do some research and find what other platforms offer you that meets YOUR needs.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I agree with this. App gap is subjective.

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have found much better apps on WP than I had ever used on Android, examples: Nextgen Reader (much better than Flipboard), MyTube, Tubecast, etc. I have spent more than 20 euros in WP apps vs 0 on Android. I suspect there are a lot like me. So WP is not a lost cause. Carriers are not interested in an Apple/Google duopoly and will start pushing Windows harder when W10 arrives. People should just relax, this is the best we've ever been, we even have Candy Crush now. I'll stick with WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)