WiFi file transfer/manager app?

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
So I'm new to Windows phone and apparently there is no way for me to transfer files from my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 to my Lumia 830 via USB, and it also doesn't support OTG like my Android phones do. I am really liking the phone, but if I can't figure out a way to transfer files, that's a major dealbreaker and I'll have to return it. On Android, there is an app called AirDroid, which among many other things, lets you transfer and manage files wirelessly over WiFi. Is there anything like that on WP? Preferably one that has a desktop client? I know I can kinda do it with OneDrive, but that's not ideal because it's not a direct means of transfer, and I also can't manage my phone's files from my computer. So is there anything like this out there? Thanks in advance.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If your Macbook Pro can handle a SD card and you have a SD card in your phone it can be done.
Get the SD card out of your phone and copy files on it and place it back and visa versa.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
If your Macbook Pro can handle a SD card and you have a SD card in your phone it can be done.
Get the SD card out of your phone and copy files on it and place it back and visa versa.

Having to do that is way too inconvenient every time I want to transfer a file. I would like to be able to just plug in, transfer, and go. Since I can't do that, I am looking for other ways that would work for me. I found an app called EasyTransfer, and it works to an extent, but it isn't perfect. It can't transfer whole folders, has very limited file manager abilities, and doesn't support all file formats. I have two weeks before I need to return the phone if I decide not to keep it, so I'll try it out and see if I can make due with it. In the meantime, I'm going to keep looking for a proper solution.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree for 1 file it is inconvenient
But I also use this if I want to transfer a few gb from my phone to PC or the other way around.
And I have a windows 8.1 and a lumia phone so I could use the USB cable.
But putting the SD card in the PC makes the coping 2 to 3 times faster than via the USB cable.
Anyhow I hope you find a solution.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
They're was just an article on All About Windows Phone reviewing an app called Linada Share. It's a DLNA server app that basically allows your phone’s media to be accessed by other UPnP/DLNA clients, with a common WiFi connection. See the review here and let us know if it meets your needs and/or how well it works for you.

Linada Share review - All About Windows Phone

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree for 1 file it is inconvenient
But I also use this if I want to transfer a few gb from my phone to PC or the other way around.
And I have a windows 8.1 and a lumia phone so I could use the USB cable.
But putting the SD card in the PC makes the coping 2 to 3 times faster than via the USB cable.
Anyhow I hope you find a solution.

Yeah for doing a large transfer I have no problem pulling the SD card out and doing it that way, but it's all the smaller ones that I'm worried about. I've done a bunch of searching and it looks like EasyTransfer is the closest thing to what I am looking for. Hopefully I can make it work for me.

They're was just an article on All About Windows Phone reviewing an app called Linada Share. It's a DLNA server app that basically allows your phone’s media to be accessed by other UPnP/DLNA clients, with a common WiFi connection. See the review here and let us know if it meets your needs and/or how well it works for you.

Linada Share review - All About Windows Phone

That's more of a media server app than anything, so it's not quite what I'm looking for. Thanks though.

Shouldn't it simply plug into your mac and look like a flash drive like it does on a PC?

WP uses MTP so it doesn't mount like an SD card or flash drive. I can hook it up and sync photos no problem because my mac sees it as a camera, but without the right software I can't transfer anything else. MTP is part of the Windows media framework, which is why it works seamlessly with Windows but not so seamlessly with OSX.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I just figured out that I can send files via bluetooth. While painfully slow, at least I have that option for smaller files.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked into Plex? I don't have a Mac Book, so I don't know if they have an server app for that. They do, however have a WP app. I've tried it once with a PC and my WP device. I'm pretty sure you can download stuff to your device from you're desktop. I'm just not sure Plex has a server application for Mac.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077