Facebook integration gone with Windows Phone 8.1

Shahroz Naeem

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So with Windows Phone 8.0, the social integration was awesome. The messaging hub could be used for messaging on social networking and the Me Tile could be used for posting. And the biggest advantage of it was that it was really quick - No app "loading" or "resuming" thing.

I hear that it can still be used with Twitter, but why was all that removed for Facebook? Was it just to accommodate the Messenger app of Facebook? :eck:

Ittipol Thirasat

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
The disadvantage point of social integration in WP8 was it hard to update feature. You have to update your OS every times you want to add some feature. Not only that, if you create newly social network app. You have to wait for Microsoft to add them to OS. But in WP8.1 most of OS integrate feature become extension-like (e.g. Music, Video, Games, IM, Social Network). It easy to add a feature by update an app. You can integrate your social network app using API they gave us. Windows Phone 8.1 is now more flexible than Windows Phone 8.0. As you can see, now we can see sticker in Facebook comment, like a comment on Facebook even we see a post using People Hub (That we cannot do when we stuck on WP8).

The old way to connect IM was not flexible at all. You can't send sticker or voice or video. You can't even chat in group. And you can only use it with WLM and Facebook! Maybe it not a good idea to keep it.

For those "resuming" thing. It happen because your device come with 512 MB of RAM. If your device come with 1 or 2 GB of RAM it far better. Even my old Lumia 920 was hardly to see those resuming screen. (It look like 512 MB and 1 GB devices was double on memory. But the thing is the free memory space of them is about 4-6 times difference)

Shahroz Naeem

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The disadvantage point of social integration in WP8 was it hard to update feature. You have to update your OS every times you want to add some feature. Not only that, if you create newly social network app. You have to wait for Microsoft to add them to OS. But in WP8.1 most of OS integrate feature become extension-like (e.g. Music, Video, Games, IM, Social Network). It easy to add a feature by update an app. You can integrate your social network app using API they gave us. Windows Phone 8.1 is now more flexible than Windows Phone 8.0. As you can see, now we can see sticker in Facebook comment, like a comment on Facebook even we see a post using People Hub (That we cannot do when we stuck on WP8).

The old way to connect IM was not flexible at all. You can't send sticker or voice or video. You can't even chat in group. And you can only use it with WLM and Facebook! Maybe it not a good idea to keep it.

Yeah, I guess that's true. But I miss that thing.

For those "resuming" thing. It happen because your device come with 512 MB of RAM. If your device come with 1 or 2 GB of RAM it far better. Even my old Lumia 920 was hardly to see those resuming screen. (It look like 512 MB and 1 GB devices was double on memory. But the thing is the free memory space of them is about 4-6 times difference)
Well, there's hardly anything I can do about it. :cry:
I hate it when that "resuming..." comes up and then the app doesn't even resume half the times. But I've noticed that the overall time that process takes is lower on the newer devices with 512 MB RAM than with the older ones.

Thanks, anyways! That answered my question.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site

So put the People app on the Store and update it from there, like Google did for the majority of their apps. This reason you cite is the one MS gave everyone, but it's actually not a good reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99