Windows Phone has very ****ed up settings when it comes to data access roaming. Despite I have "don't roam" and even to be sure "Data connection" is off I have been charged a lot of money when being abroad. Apparently the Windows Phone Store has despite my settings accessed the internet. There is a third setting in "data sense" which is "restrict background data when roaming" which ANOTHER SETTING for this. I'm not sure why if data connection off has been overridden.

Windows Phone is the only OS with these confusing settings on different places which also directly lie to us when it comes to the data usage. Go to hell Microsoft!
    12-31-2014 11:21 AM
    I've never had a problem like yours while travelling abroad with my L920... I only turn the data connection off.
    Aaron Yawn and Sonu K like this.
    12-31-2014 11:27 AM
    Windows Phone has very ****ed up settings when it comes to data access roaming. Despite I have "don't roam" and even to be sure "Data connection" is off I have been charged a lot of money when being abroad. Apparently the Windows Phone Store has despite my settings accessed the internet. There is a third setting in "data sense" which is "restrict background data when roaming" which ANOTHER SETTING for this. I'm not sure why if data connection off has been overridden.

Windows Phone is the only OS with these confusing settings on different places which also directly lie to us when it comes to the data usage. Go to hell Microsoft!
    Its a shame this happened to you, yes there are a couple places that need to be altered to make sure data roaming isn't enabled. I think that's why MS have allowed you to be able to toggle a Quick Action switch that'll turn off/on mobile data in general. Maybe in future use this toggle instead.

G.
    12-31-2014 11:48 AM
    Its a shame this happened to you, yes there are a couple places that need to be altered to make sure data roaming isn't enabled. I think that's why MS have allowed you to be able to toggle a Quick Action switch that'll turn off/on mobile data in general. Maybe in future use this toggle instead.

G.
    I have not seen any "quick toggle" at all. What I have used is cellular+SIM-->Data connection-->off. That should have been enough I thought but apparently not.
    12-31-2014 11:56 AM
    The default settings do not have any roaming enabled. Traveled many times without changing anything and without issue.
    Sonu K likes this.
    12-31-2014 12:13 PM
    Data Sense only restrict your data use by background task.
    My phone never touch my cellular data a bit when I turn "Data connection" to "Off" properly.
    Sonu K likes this.
    12-31-2014 02:02 PM
    My technologically illiterate father went on a mission trip to Panama over the summer. I showed him the cellular data settings on his 1020. He was able to switch off the cellular data before he left the airport and didn't have any problems being charged for data usage while he was out of the country. He was even able to Skype a few times with my step-mom over wifi.

This was on WP 8 before 8.1 was officially released. I'm not sure if any of the applicable settings have changed since the update, but I wouldn't think that would be the case.
    12-31-2014 03:32 PM
    No surprises there. Any phone will cost you a lot of money when roaming, unless of course your provider offers roaming package of some sort.
    Jazmac likes this.
    12-31-2014 03:37 PM
    T-MoUS gives you free data and texting when visiting in over 150 countries. My wife and I each used it for more than a month overseas... Cost us nothing. I met an American couple not on T-Mo who were jealous. The wife started cursing out Verizon.

​Do your homework is always a good bet. Either get a plan that works from home or get a temporary SIM for the travel country.
    mark233, Sonu K and James8561 like this.
    12-31-2014 03:42 PM
    The "restrict background data when roaming" should only have an effect if data is on. However, when you turn off data completely, it shouldn't really have any effect. If there is no data then there's no way to restrict it... basically, how are you going to restrict a piece of nothing?

I've travelled quite a bit with my Lumia and never had any issues when abroad. I leava data activated and roaming deactivated and never have I ever had any data usage that I didn't cause manually by activating roaming for a specific time period.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-01-2015 07:37 AM

Or you could've also chose the option 'Don't Roam' from the drop down menu which is placed under the data connection on/off option.
    LOL!. Stop cursing your phone and do your homework next time.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-01-2015 08:11 AM
    I've spent weeks each in NZ, Taiwan & Hongkong (with my 920, it could be for any phone). The first thing I do before arriving is to remove my SIM card.
    Roaming charges is bloody expensive. I usually get the local SIMs which lasts a week. Came with data, calls & SMS... works out reasonably cheap. The best thing is no surprise roaming charges on my phone bill after I return home.

1234567WP8.920
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-01-2015 12:25 PM
    Or you could've also chose the option 'Don't Roam' from the drop down menu which is placed under the data connection on/off option.
    LOL!. Stop cursing your phone and do your homework next time.
    He already mentioned that phone is set on dont roam and data was OFF
    Timbre70 likes this.
    01-01-2015 08:50 PM
    He already mentioned that phone is set on dont roam and data was OFF
    If that's true - and one of these settings alone would've been sufficient - there's no way data was used. No.Flipping.Way. So either he had data turned on and roaming enabled, or his carrier is messing with him. No other options.
    Sonu K likes this.
    01-02-2015 02:40 AM
    I am roaming nearly 85% of the year and in the three years on Windows Phone I've never seen the behavior described. I highly doubt that the Data was actually set to off by the topic starter.
    01-02-2015 06:30 AM
    T-MoUS gives you free data and texting when visiting in over 150 countries. My wife and I each used it for more than a month overseas... Cost us nothing. I met an American couple not on T-Mo who were jealous. The wife started cursing out Verizon.
    a_teenager_getting_yelled_at_by_her_parents_royalty_free_clipart_picture_100326-164721-345009.jpg
    lol.
    01-02-2015 08:36 AM
    Same here. I've taken a couple trips outside the country. One with an L920 and the other with an L1520 plus my wife's phones and all we did was turn cell data off and no roaming charges.
    01-02-2015 08:56 AM
    While I can't see why it would have used data, while data services was OFF, I can see how the phone may have used data while roaming, when data roaming was turned off.

For me, it's a domestic roaming issue. I'm on T-Mobile, and I work where there is only AT&T service. I keep my settings full open, with the exception of "Data roaming options" set to "don't roam" under Cellular+SIM. T-Mobile gives you 10MB (yes MB) of domestic roaming before they just simply disable your roaming data. This isn't a problem, but I will get a text saying I've used 8mb, than the 10mb shut off text within the first week. I can only guess it's from the drive up to the plant I work at. WP 8.1 (Cyan) on my Lumia 925 doesn't seem to recognize AT&T as a Roaming data service.

Knowing the above, is it possible the OP had left their data connection setting ON, and the carrier they were attached to, listed in their sim as an affiliated source, and therefore not considered by the phone, a roaming connection?
    Sonu K likes this.
    01-02-2015 09:38 AM
    Hey thanks man for your advice.
    01-02-2015 10:17 AM