User Voice: Baked-In Tap-to-Pay for WP

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You've no Debit Card?
I have a VISA and MC debit/credit card from different banks. As I said, I don't use either more than once every year or two. And I don't use them as debit cards so I get the float. I don't even know the PIN numbers for them. I put everything I can even my utility bills on AmEx to maximize rewards. Then pay in full every month.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a VISA and MC debit/credit card from different banks. As I said, I don't use either more than once every year or two. And I don't use them as debit cards so I get the float. I don't even know the PIN numbers for them. I put everything I can even my utility bills on AmEx to maximize rewards. Then pay in full every month.

Right... A cult member. :winktongue:

I'd love to see a tap-to-pay that is 100% card agnostic. AmEx included. I'm not sure, does any Tap-to-Pay support AmEx?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Right... A cult member. :winktongue:

I'd love to see a tap-to-pay that is 100% card agnostic. AmEx included. I'm not sure, does any Tap-to-Pay support AmEx?
AmEx announced support for HCE for Android.

I gave 3 votes for the generic HCE support. Thanks for the link.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've always used Google Wallet since my primary device is Android. On my Verizon branded phones I just disable Softcard and set up Google Wallet. I guess I don't quite understand about users wishing for support for different cards, since I never tried to set up Softcard. I'm assuming only certain cards are accepted?

It seems that Apple Pay has a similar issue. With Google Wallet, you can use pretty much any card. Tap to Pay uses the same Wallet that you use to buy from the Play Store.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm running out of votes to give  oh well, just dropped 3 more for the cause!

Should I remove the link to the other one in my previous post?

You can remove your previously given votes...

Would you kindly remove the link? I edited my quote of that particular post as well... Thanks.

I've always used Google Wallet since my primary device is Android. On my Verizon branded phones I just disable Softcard and set up Google Wallet. I guess I don't quite understand about users wishing for support for different cards, since I never tried to set up Softcard. I'm assuming only certain cards are accepted?

It seems that Apple Pay has a similar issue. With Google Wallet, you can use pretty much any card. Tap to Pay uses the same Wallet that you use to buy from the Play Store.

SoftCard only allows for minimal cards from certain banks. Otherwise they want you to link a rechargeable AmEx throwaway... AND non carrier branded phones are shut out from using SoftCard... AND it is only on Verizon and AT&T... Far from an ideal and universal answer.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Google wallet uses a similar method to softcard. All your google wallet payments will will be through a virtual mastercard issued by bankcorp. In that sense in not very different than serve and thier amex serve setup with debit cards. It pulls funds from the card listed but is being paid for at the terminal by the mastercard.

apple on the other hand is getting the most direct method and setting up relationships with banks and they are picking up traction.

I'm hoping that apple being as popular here as they are in US will help bring this feature without having to have a middle man such as softcard ad amex serve touching things. and especially not the carriers.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Google wallet uses a similar method to softcard. All your google wallet payments will will be through a virtual mastercard issued by bankcorp. In that sense in not very different than serve and thier amex serve setup with debit cards. It pulls funds from the card listed but is being paid for at the terminal by the mastercard.
Yes I know, but you can use virtually any card to fund Google Wallet. That's the difference. Softcard seems to accept very few cards.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know, but you can use virtually any card to fund Google Wallet. That's the difference. Softcard seems to accept very few cards.

Amex serve will let me add any card(debit or credit) to be the funding source as well.so really no difference. The Amex serve card serves the same purpose for softcard as the virtual mastercard used on your google wallet payments.

Bonus with softcard is that they do have a few credit card issuers( not close to what apple has) that allow them to use the card directly on the app without use the amex serve card. Google wallet doesnt have that option.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Amex serve will let me add any card(debit or credit) to be the funding source as well.so really no difference. The Amex serve card serves the same purpose for softcard as the virtual mastercard used on your google wallet payments.

Bonus with softcard is that they do have a few credit card issuers( not close to what apple has) that allow them to use the card directly on the app without use the amex serve card. Google wallet doesnt have that option.
OK thanks, I didn't know that. But why are users complaining about not having a compatible card?

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
OK thanks, I didn't know that. But why are users complaining about not having a compatible card?

It affects bonus points for using credit cards and i'd rather get rid of the middle man. For me, i'd get certain amounts of cash-back at certain locations vs others and if it shows as a Google/amex serve transaction and not the gas station i'm missing out on free money. Now if they accepted my mastercard natively we'd be great. And i'm sure there are more than a few that don't know all of thier options or they just don't want another card/account to manage.

Let's hope that EMV cards will help this move faster.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It affects bonus points for using credit cards and i'd rather get rid of the middle man. For me, i'd get certain amounts of cash-back at certain locations vs others and if it shows as a Google/amex serve transaction and not the gas station i'm missing out on free money. Now if they accepted my mastercard natively we'd be great. And i'm sure there are more than a few that don't know all of thier options or they just don't want another card/account to manage.
Got it! A friend of mine funds Google Wallet with his American Express card. He can use tap to pay at stores that don't even accept Amex, because the store sees MasterCard. However, he doesn't get Amex's benefits, such as extra cash back at the grocery store. Amex sees Google Wallet, not a grocery store. Pretty much what you're saying.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One other question akak84: aren't there fees for using/funding Amex Serve? If so, is it worth it just to use tap to pay?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
One other question akak84: aren't there fees for using/funding Amex Serve? If so, is it worth it just to use tap to pay?

There are fees for the retailer, but AFAIK there are no fees for the person with the card.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Jas is correct. The serve card has a monthly fee but since its linked to the Softcard account those fees are waived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa