Call Sense

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is develop Storage Sense & Data Sense app that are built in in Windows Phone 8.1 but what about Call Sense app?
I know that someone will said that there is feature to see total call duration via settings -> network+ but would be nice to divided on monthly basics, received and dialed calls etc.
Call Sense app will be really useful for people that have monthly call plans and similar situation, hope you folks from Windows Central agreed with me.
Cheers.
JosipoGo

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
i agree ,someone should open suggestion feature on Microsoft site for this or find same and lets vote for it, well said OP

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Would be nice to have, I know Verizon has it in their web site if you log in, you could look at your call history that is built in if you didn't know and this would be a great place to put a call count.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree carriers should provide apps for this or have it one line available or have a free number to check.
If there was a call sense it has to be a very complicated one.
I can make free calls to my family members so how to handle them in call sense.
A carrier/provider in my country has a plan where only the first 10 minutes are "charged" how to handle that in call sense.
Some carriers count the minutes and other the seconds how to handle this in call sense.
Some numbers are free and other are more expensive (not in the plan) how to handle this in call sense.
And what if there was a "call sense" and this gave other information as you carrier?
So a call sense will give more problems than help.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree carriers should provide apps for this or have it one line available or have a free number to check.
If there was a call sense it has to be a very complicated one.
I can make free calls to my family members so how to handle them in call sense.
A carrier/provider in my country has a plan where only the first 10 minutes are "charged" how to handle that in call sense.
Some carriers count the minutes and other the seconds how to handle this in call sense.
Some numbers are free and other are more expensive (not in the plan) how to handle this in call sense.
And what if there was a "call sense" and this gave other information as you carrier?
So a call sense will give more problems than help.

Most of those problems exist with DataSense too. Which data is charged by my carrier? 3g and 4g are counted differently by my carrier, but not by another. Some streaming music sites and apps don't get charged data against my 4g caps...
Datasense always reports that I've used a lot more 4g than I "actually" did according to my carrier, since it doesn't differentiate between those times when I'm in 3g service area (and therefore not using my 4g data allotment), and still counts when I'm streaming Pandora (which is not counted by my carrier as billable data)...

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Fully agree with Harrie-S that Call Sense app it self is complicated task, especially from point, how will app knows what is free call what not... and would be best that this kind of app be developed by carrier. But carrier answers on this kind of task are always, you have that info on monthly bill.
On the other hand on other platform is bunch of app that do exactly on what I am mean, maybe they do not have 100% correctness but at least approximately can give some result. I assume that MS do not want to open API via which developers would be able to develop Call Sense enabled app. And since is situation as it is, the best would be that MS develop this kind of app.
Cheers.

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm from Argentina.. I use Telecom's Personal carrier.. In their website they give you stats of usage like
1:32 call to xxxxxx $3.64
2 SMS to xxxxxxx $2.00

And so on. And they give you an app to control internet usage.. If I use my computer I'll give you some screenshots if someone wants to

Cheers 🍻.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe that someone, even MS will develop Call Sense app that will show value of calls or SMS, that can be only develop by carriers but as we can see most of carriers publish this kind od data under their subscriber portal.
Just for info, today on my colleague Note smartphone we notice that phone itself is counted 29 minutes of out going calls from day one of 2015, but carrier under subscriber portal of my colleagues is notice 37 minutes of out going call in same period. After investigating and chat with carrier we get result that carrier count one minutes as soon that minute start as example you can imagine that you call someone and after answering of the other side you drop call, carrier will count whole minute. Other case that for which we also get info today is that our carrier has calling plan in which call timer start as soon dialer click call, regardless is it called parties answer it.
In any case after this cases I am changing my mind from first post, simply no need for Call Sense app it would be useless, not accurate.
On the other hand, Data Sense app at least in my case and data plan that I have is almost 1000% accurate.
Cheers.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I could use call sense but in a different way than implied here: I'd need a detailed call log - what person/number have I spoken with when and for how long. I often need that information for project management time entries for work yet Windows Phone does nothing for me in this respect yet. It's one area where I would certainly profit from a detailed "call sense" or whatever it might be named.

grantpwarren

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is develop Storage Sense & Data Sense app that are built in in Windows Phone 8.1 but what about Call Sense app?
I know that someone will said that there is feature to see total call duration via settings -> network+ but would be nice to divided on monthly basics, received and dialed calls etc.
Call Sense app will be really useful for people that have monthly call plans and similar situation, hope you folks from Windows Central agreed with me.
Cheers.
JosipoGo

I would prefer it if they (data sense and possible call sense) linked to the network operators plan by logging in so it doesn't differ like data sense appears to do...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I could use call sense but in a different way than implied here: I'd need a detailed call log - what person/number have I spoken with when and for how long. I often need that information for project management time entries for work yet Windows Phone does nothing for me in this respect yet. It's one area where I would certainly profit from a detailed "call sense" or whatever it might be named.

If you want detailed information get it from your carrier. Carrier information is verifiable. What if WP would have an app but your customer has another app. And if you compare the information it turns out they are not the same? So to me it is your own responsibility to get this information and not windows phones responsibly.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason this isn't in big demand at least in the Us is because most postpaid customers have unlimited calling and SMS. It's the data that's limited.

I have unlimited calling/SMS, but I don't talk much anyway.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly for what it would be Call Sense app use full.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason this isn't in big demand at least in the Us is because most postpaid customers have unlimited calling and SMS. It's the data that's limited.

I have unlimited calling/SMS, but I don't talk much anyway.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

But what if you do not have unlimited plan and you would like to know how many minutes you spend, on easy way?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But what if you do not have unlimited plan and you would like to know how many minutes you spend, on easy way?
If I wanted to know, I could dial *646# (*MIN#) and get a free text message that showed how many minutes were used. That existed for AT&T customers even with feature phones.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
If I wanted to know, I could dial *646# (*MIN#) and get a free text message that showed how many minutes were used. That existed for AT&T customers even with feature phones.

This way do not apply in my case. My carrier BH Telecom only for prepaid subscriber is enable this feature, for postpaid, regardless calling plan or type of plan, only way to see calling history is via subscriber portal.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...way to see calling history is via subscriber portal.

And it is the most accurate. The carrier will always have final say on what you used no matter what an App on your phone says. I understand you want an easy to look at gauge, though and it seems a good idea to me which is perfectly in-line with other Sense Apps.

Have you tried pinning the browser page for your portal to your start page? It would not be a live tile, but would be fairly quick access...

Also maybe search for and vote on, or submit a new User Voice on the idea. https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
And it is the most accurate. The carrier will always have final say on what you used no matter what an App on your phone says. I understand you want an easy to look at gauge, though and it seems a good idea to me which is perfectly in-line with other Sense Apps.

Have you tried pinning the browser page for your portal to your start page? It would not be a live tile, but would be fairly quick access...

Also maybe search for and vote on, or submit a new User Voice on the idea. https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Already submit vote for Call Sense.
Fully agree that carrier will always have final say
Yes, there is option for pinning link on Start screen.
Also agree with you that this is good idea for completing Sense line, even maybe great idea it would be one Sense app for data and calls.
Maybe even someone would like to know how many minutes, for compare purpose, in total is for received and how many for dialed.
And to be frankly, I believe that someone would like to have same data for Skype let say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos