How to place the cursor?

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I hope I'm leaving this in the right spot. I'm a little confused on how to place the blinking cursor within text to add or delete more text. I've been on a 920 for almost 2 years and now I'm on a 1520 and this has always bugged me to no end. I was on IOS before the 920 and on IOS you do a press on the text and it provides a little magnifier bubble that you can use to see where to drop your cursor. I'm finding it difficult and sometimes impossible to do this on WP? Sometimes it works, sometimes all I can do is select highlight words. Is there something I'm missing? #feelstupid

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it's fiddly. If you tap a word, the entire word is highlighted. If you tap the same word again, the cursor will jump to a single point at the start of a word. If you tap in the empty space to the right of a sentence, the selector will jump to the end.

We all agree that the selection handle is far too small, and this text selection method confusingly got worse after the upgrade from Windows Phone 7.x to Windows Phone 8.x.

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Whew...I thought I was just losing my mind. I have pretty wide finger tips so tapping in between words very rarely gets me what I want. Other than frustrated. 😎 The IOS magnifier bubble is perfect.

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I have pretty large fingers and have always found this difficult but I got to say that for me it got a lot better when I moved from WP 7.5 to 8.1 not the other way around. 7.5 was literally impossible for me. I gave up trying and just backspaced to the error and retyped everything. With 8.1 I can get the cursor where I want it with a few (fat fingered) attempts.

This is the one feature I hate on Windows Phone. I wish MS would just let us have arrow keys like they did in the old Windows Mobile 5 and 6.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss