How to set up a mobile hotspot on Windows Phone 8.1

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site
OK, so I got a Windows Phone and "Internet Sharing" doesn't want to work.
Nokia Lumina 635 to be exact. At first I got a GoPhone and thought it was AT&T. Then I got an unlocked one and used Simple Mobile and it still doesn't work. It can't get past the error. The rep put it into an unopened android phone and it worked right away and her iPhone picked up the hotspot. Mine just keeps going:
Connection not shared
Internet sharing isn't currently available

I found the "Tether-X solution" with the help of some nice ppl here, but it's not exactly a hotspot and is a pretty tedious multi-step kludge to top it off.

Are there any other solutions to this problem?

Thanks for any input! ;)

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The solution is that it should work right out of the box with your Lumia 635. I've only had mine for three months but have used that feature regularly and it never failed. It's quite possible that AT&T is the culprit here, have you tried a different SIM card in your unlocked 635?

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, most definitely does. T-Mobile was known to have restricted the thethering options on their contracts which meant that for a long time, tethering didn't work with T-Mobile on iPhones but it did work on most Android phones because they weren't affected by this restriction placed on the SIM card. Not sure whether Android simply ignored the instructions on the SIM or how Apple disabled thethering in their OS but I know this was a big problem for Apple users for quite a while.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've used a tmobile lumia 635 on tmobile for internet sharing, and it works great. I've also used 3 unlocked/uncarrier phones(lumia 800, lumia 830, and lumia 1520) for internet sharing on tmobile. Since simple mobile is basically the same as tmobile, I feel this is relevant.
I've also attempted to use a at&t lumia 920 that I had unlocked to use on tmobile, and internet sharing never worked. theres been threads about this, but essentially, at&t locks the hardware on their phone down so that you can't have internet sharing without using a mobile share plan.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've used a tmobile lumia 635 on tmobile for internet sharing, and it works great. I've also used 3 unlocked/uncarrier phones(lumia 800, lumia 830, and lumia 1520) for internet sharing on tmobile. Since simple mobile is basically the same as tmobile, I feel this is relevant.
I've also attempted to use a at&t lumia 920 that I had unlocked to use on tmobile, and internet sharing never worked. theres been threads about this, but essentially, at&t locks the hardware on their phone down so that you can't have internet sharing without using a mobile share plan.
This is the same tactic Verizon uses as well. "Give us more money and you can tether." :angry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon