Come on MS, where's the cool new WP8 hardware these days!!??

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I recently jumped to a Note 3 on Sprint and I am already digging around to find the next cool Window's Phone that may someday, hopefully, will make it to my carrier. I watched the big thread on the number of Window's apps in the store and saw people going back and forth about this and that, but I think right now if MS wants to get more people to Window's Phone the first thing they need to do is make sure people can... find a damn Window's Phone!

I jumped to AT&T 2 years ago because I wanted a Lumia 920 so badly. I spent an extra $1500 during that time to leave my Sprint family plan and use WP8 and I loved it. I have owned an iPhone and Androids and, for ME (no flaming, iOS and Android both work well too), WP8 was faster, cleaner, and let me do things easier. Plus the Nokia devices were some great hardware. But I sat patiently for 2 years while wondering, 'where's the great new WP8 hardware?' Nokia was turning out a few decent ones, but even those weren't on Sprint. Then my 2 years on AT&T ended and... I went back to Sprint and got a Note 3, mainly because I didn't want to spend an extra $60+ a month and I wanted a larger screen between 5.5 and 6 inches. Nokia went from 5" to the ginormous-feeling 6? 1520, but the form factor of the 1520 makes it feel even larger. I was intrigued by the HTC One M8, but that was never coming to Sprint and the screen was still a bit too small. So Android will have to do for now (but thank heaven for Launcher 8 ? at least now my Note 3 operates a little like WP8).

So to me, forget the apps because WP8 has as many nice apps as iOS and Android. I went to Android and was actually looking forward to all the cool strategy and RPGs I would get access to. Guess what? There?s even more crap in the Play Store than there is in the WP store. After buying and trying several apps and games I found I used to play on my 920 more than I do my Note 3. They?re both still great at email, browsing, calendar, news, etc., but jumping to Android and expecting to find a lot more cool games turned out to be a splash of cold water in the face. Do I like my Note 3? Sure, I got it for $99 on sale and it?s a great piece of hardware, but there are so many little things I miss about WP8. But WP8 is worthless if I can?t find one on my carrier or the hardware looks the same as it did 2 years ago. Has anyone here tried the Samsung Note Edge? Yeah, it seems a little gimmicky, but once I held one and tried it for a few minutes I thought, ?dang, why isn?t WP coming out with cool hardware like this!?.

So come on MS, pull some secret hardware stash out of your sleeve, I am jonesing for some cool, shiny 5.5 inch Windows Phone that doesn?t just look like a slightly larger 920.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think Microsoft should stick with the unibody polycarbonate designs (like the 920). It's one thing that sets them apart. I doubt that's the way they will be going though if the continue with the squared off metal looks of the Icon/930 and the 830. I'm an owner of the Icon, and while I love the phone, the hardware is boring. even if it had a colored back like the 930, it's still boring.

As a Verizon user, I've always been envious of all the great Lumia hardware that AT&T got like the 800, 900, 820, 920, 1020, 1520, etc. We've been stuck with the 822, 928, and the Icon. The unibody polycarbonate is one of the things that stands out and will make it instantly recognizable as a Nokia (or in the future, just a Lumia). What other phone company makes phones with that bold styling? While something like the Icon is "elegant" one could say, it's completely unnoticeable. Even an Icon in black designed like the 1520 would be more noticeable I believe, and looks better.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I somewhat agree, though I liked the 830's design as well. For me, one of the major reasons for buying the 820 was the design of the phone.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Please stop comparing windows phone with android and ios. They are different platforms and entirely different operating systems. :(

Microsoft is investing in emerging markets, as they rightfully should be with the low-to-mid tier devices. It takes a lot of money and marketing to pitch phones here in the US, especially when many consumers still use the subsidized model. I would much rather MS continue R&D on Windows 10 and OS integration between its 3 existing platforms than them busily rush another hero phone. That's just my opinion though.

As for build quality--- people seem to forget that these are -phones-. Not art pieces, not cars-- so while I do agree with your sentiment on polycarbonate, I don't anticipate most of the general public agreeing with you. From my observations we live in a very guady society where people feel an odd need to advertise what they use, wear, or do. Thats why you see so many iCattle and android groupies unfortunately.

I've owned 2 icons, 2 928's, 4 822's and currently using a Samsung Ativ SE. I don't think a phone is intended to "make a statement." It needs to "get the job done". Which is what Windows Phone and Microsoft is all about. They make a product that works and does a great job at the things it was intended for. Everything else is secondary. But that's just me and my opinion.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, my point isn't just about cool new hardware, it's also about getting the carriers to... carry them! Sprint only has the Ativ S and HTX 8x, dinosaurs in cell phone years. And if you shop for a new smartphone on Sprint's site Windows Phone isn't even an option under OS!!

But they do need cool new stuff too! Yes, Lumia phones are rock solid but try to offer a few design differences. The HTC One M8 was a breath of fresh air. And what about 5.5 inch screens??!!

But all of this is moot if if you can't even find someone that carries WP.
Hard to gain market share when you're not out in the market!

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, my point isn't just about cool new hardware, it's also about getting the carriers to... carry them! Sprint only has the Ativ S and HTX 8x, dinosaurs in cell phone years. And if you shop for a new smartphone on Sprint's site Windows Phone isn't even an option under OS!!

But they do need cool new stuff too! Yes, Lumia phones are rock solid but try to offer a few design differences. The HTC One M8 was a breath of fresh air. And what about 5.5 inch screens??!!

But all of this is moot if if you can't even find someone that carries WP.
Hard to gain market share when you're not out in the market!

Unfortunately this is large due in-part to the fact that the US cellular market is very segregated. The carriers use the subsidy model to entice customers. Then there is the whole "carrier locked" issue which discourages the use of phones from other carriers on competitor networks. Windows Phone is doing so well in emerging markets, and fairly well in Europe, due to more lenient terms of hopping carriers and what-not. The shopping culture is SIGNIFICANTLY different as well. I have several European friends that have told me that most consumers buy their phone outright. So they tend to hold onto their phone for longer as opposed to here in the US where most consumers use their contract renewal and subsidy to get something new a shiney.

The flashier and more involved the handset is, the more expensive it gets. Remember that. But at the same time I can certainly see the dismay in just HOW many low-end lumias are being pumped out by MS.... but that also gets me thinking that there must apparently be a demand for those sorts of handsets. So they'll do whatever turns a profit.

MS has pushed their pro3 onto NFL... so gradually they are increasing their footprint. The other day I think I say a clip of Jennifer Lopez using a Lumia 2520 lol. So efforts, while moot, are being made. :) Patience is a virtue.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So efforts, while moot, are being made. :) Patience is a virtue.

Wow, surprised by the lack of response from the WP community, or I should say, by this type of anemic response. But maybe it's because saying anything doesn't really help anymore or it's becoming a futile argument? When MS bought Nokia I was actually excited because I thought maybe we would start seeing some cool new products and more progress with WP. But after seeing nothing inspiring the last six months I wonder what the heck MS is thinking or if they have just been overcome with incompetence?

And I really hope the sentence quoted above is the last stance anyone at MS or a company considering building MP phones is thinking, because if it is the WP platform is doomed. I know WP is making gains in some foreign markets and they say overall WP sales are slightly up, but in Europe and the US, two of the biggest and most important markets, WP market share actually saw a decline in 2014.

Sorry Ltauhmise, but if any WP phone manufacturers are saying wait because 'Patience is a virtue', then that is the worst business model ever, and the exact reason I just jumped from WP. If people leaving WP is goal though, then carry on, good job. As a person who made iOS games in 2010 and 2011 and is considering doing WP development, I can tell you seeing any official stance like that would kill any consideration I had for doing it.

I also can't believe you make this statement. If any statement is ever 'oh-so-wrong' this is it.

Please stop comparing windows phone with android and ios. They are different platforms and entirely different operating systems. :(

You mean please stop comparing WP with it's two main competitors in the mobile phone market place? Really?? Really really ??!! Isn't that the tact Thorsetn Heins took with BB10, saying it couldn't beat Android or iOS but would take the no. 3 spot from MS? He basically said Android and iOS were too entrenched and hard to compete against, but he targeted WP. Yeah, didn't work out that well for BB and Heins was sacked the next year. And where is BB now? If they aren't bought out soon maybe they'll continue on life support for a few more years.

So for the love of all that is holy, I hope no one at MS thinks this. They are all mobile OS's competing against each other. Compare them, hold them up, dissect them, hell do a taste test, and strive to gain market share in any weak spot you see with Android and iOS. And if you notice WP has a weak spot, pray you fix it before Android or Apple notices.

But for now, fix one simple glaring weak spot WP has, and that is not even being in front of consumers. If a person walks into a Sprint store and can't even see a WP phone or the only ones they see were introduced 2 years ago, Android and Apple don't even need to try because WP isn't even fighting back anymore, they are simply cowering down and handing over their lunch money. And that didn't work out too well for, what was that company again, BlackBerry?

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow, surprised by the lack of response from the WP community, or I should say, by this type of anemic response. But maybe it's because saying anything doesn't really help anymore or it's becoming a futile argument? When MS bought Nokia I was actually excited because I thought maybe we would start seeing some cool new products and more progress with WP. But after seeing nothing inspiring the last six months I wonder what the heck MS is thinking or if they have just been overcome with incompetence?

And I really hope the sentence quoted above is the last stance anyone at MS or a company considering building MP phones is thinking, because if it is the WP platform is doomed. I know WP is making gains in some foreign markets and they say overall WP sales are slightly up, but in Europe and the US, two of the biggest and most important markets, WP market share actually saw a decline in 2014.

Sorry Ltauhmise, but if any WP phone manufacturers are saying wait because 'Patience is a virtue', then that is the worst business model ever, and the exact reason I just jumped from WP. If people leaving WP is goal though, then carry on, good job. As a person who made iOS games in 2010 and 2011 and is considering doing WP development, I can tell you seeing any official stance like that would kill any consideration I had for doing it.

I also can't believe you make this statement. If any statement is ever 'oh-so-wrong' this is it.

You mean please stop comparing WP with it's two main competitors in the mobile phone market place? Really?? Really really ??!! Isn't that the tact Thorsetn Heins took with BB10, saying it couldn't beat Android or iOS but would take the no. 3 spot from MS? He basically said Android and iOS were too entrenched and hard to compete against, but he targeted WP. Yeah, didn't work out that well for BB and Heins was sacked the next year. And where is BB now? If they aren't bought out soon maybe they'll continue on life support for a few more years.

So for the love of all that is holy, I hope no one at MS thinks this. They are all mobile OS's competing against each other. Compare them, hold them up, dissect them, hell do a taste test, and strive to gain market share in any weak spot you see with Android and iOS. And if you notice WP has a weak spot, pray you fix it before Android or Apple notices.

But for now, fix one simple glaring weak spot WP has, and that is not even being in front of consumers. If a person walks into a Sprint store and can't even see a WP phone or the only ones they see were introduced 2 years ago, Android and Apple don't even need to try because WP isn't even fighting back anymore, they are simply cowering down and handing over their lunch money. And that didn't work out too well for, what was that company again, BlackBerry?

Yeah, I agree for the most part. Pretty good post.

I would LOVE a 5.25 inch with a body of the 8X with a 3,000mAh battery and IPS screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes