I have a Nokia 521 (WP 8.1) and keep music on a micro-SD card. I recently edited a lot of the music, so I pulled the card out of the phone and manually re-loaded the music onto the card.

Some of the file structure has changed, and the phone apparently cannot figure out where new files are (and where old files are not). Also, album art has completely disappeared.

Is there any way to force the phone (and/or the default Xbox Music app) to re-build its database of albums and file locations and album art, etc.?
    Preferably without using the Windows Phone for Desktop sync program, which I really don't like.
    01-15-2015 04:22 PM
    On my 521 all the music that I got stored on sdcard does not show up in Xbox music app but shows up just fine in Nokia music. Almost 90% of my music I got from Xbox music itself. Microsoft really needs to fix Xbox music app.
    Iwish I could help with your problems but I am at a loss on what you can do expect perhaps try Nokia music:-)
    01-15-2015 07:58 PM
    Thanks for responding.
    Apparently my problem was that I had removed the micro-SD card from the phone, and was deleting/copying files to the card through a card reader. My guess is that that the phone only keeps track of file addition/removal when this happens through the phone itself. That is, there is no separate scanning of the micro-SD card after it has been removed and then re-inserted to the phone.

So I connected the phone to my computer with a USB cable, and deleted all music files. Then I copied all music back onto the card (again through the phone). The downside is that the phone is a bottleneck - copying is only 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as when the card is plugged into a card reader. But now the Xbox Music app recognizes the location of all music files and can play my collection.

Xbox Music is not displaying any of the album art (whether embedded in id3 tags, or a "Folder.jpg" image in the folder where files from an album are stored). I'm not sure why this is still a problem, as Xbox Music displayed album art before all this.
    However, the Nokia Mix Radio app (the successor to Nokia Music)displays album art, so I will just use that app.
    01-16-2015 10:41 AM