Is it worth the switch from low-end Android to low/mid-end Windows Phone?

JackesNinja

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've got a question in the matter of switching of Android to WP 8.1. Currently, i'm thinking about buying a new smartphone(dirt cheap, I mean, a maximum of 110 euros), and i'm thinking of giving WP 8.1 a try. The reasons why i'm thinking of that are the usual problems that plague the low-end Android devices: Very limited multi-tasking(the phone turns into a massive whirlwind of lag if i have the FB messenger and chrome opened at the same time, and shortly afterwards it closes the FB messenger chat-head), the usual slowdown that increases as you pour more apps into the phone, very limited space, oh, and the bad battery life(3 hours is enough to sip all the battery while in 2/3G, Wi-Fi is a bit better but nothing too special too. Yeah, that's the stats even with the most minimum brightness possible.). My phone has 512MB RAM too. So basically I want a phone that is cheap, that has fluid perfomance, good battery life, reasonable multi-tasking capabilities, and so on, I essentially want the system to be perfectly usable without any noticeable stuttering or slowdown. I'm thinking to switch to Lumia 630. Worth it? Thanks for the attention.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I think so. I went from a Galaxy S3 to a 920. Mostly, I did it after I got a Surface tablet. I liked it a lot, and decided to make the switch to WP.

Once I had the 920 for awhile, I upgraded to a 930.

The 920 is not a low end device. But, it's two years old, so it has a low end price. It is, really, a great phone.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520 and a Lumia 920. WP is a very light OS, so you won't have things like Facebook messenger chatheads, but it'll run much more fluidly, and the battery will last much longer. I'd suggest getting a used 920, it's very affordable.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Moving from anything android to anything windows phone is better low to mid end,Lumia 535 is pretty good budget phone,830 nice mid tier phone

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Nokia 5800 to current Lumia 630 after short use of low spec android. Lumia 630 may not be as future proof as 635 or 535 due to only 512 ram for apps and games,etc. Although it is very fast phone, multitasking is fluid and simple, and I haven't experienced crashes and bugs yet. Battery life is soo long.. after full day of heavy browsing, fb, calls and texting, movies and music playing I get 20-30 % left..unless I play games like Microsoft solitaire or asphalt. :D People complain about lack of front camera, flash, some sensors - double tap :'( and 512 ram but hey overall it's great phone for the money.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
At this point I would not recommend the Lumia 630 anymore since the 535 offers significantly more at the same price.

If you need LTE then the 635 is your best bet, yet it comes with only 512MB of RAM, no LED-flash and no front facing camera.
If you don't need LTE then go for the 535 with 1GB of RAM.
If you need Dual SIM go for the 535 DS with 1GB of RAM.

All these devices should cost you somewhere between 100? and 110? so they're perfectly within your budget.

Don't get me wrong - a Windows Phone 8 device with 512MB of RAM still beats the living **** out of an Android device with 512MB of RAM. It's snappy, it's solid, stable and you won't be limited to running only a certain number of applications. Windows Phone's memory management is quite solid at this point. But why limit yourself to 512MB if you can get better specs for the same money?

DrKnockers

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have had both iPhone and all of the Samsung range and to be honest, I dont see much difference between all three o/s. I got my 735 on 3uk last week and I am pleased with how fast, slim and quality the phone is. The one thing that lets it down which most will say is the app store, but i think once Microsoft realise and improve it, then I think alot of Android and iPhone users will come over.

Dont follow the crowd, be different and have a WP. You wont regret it.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have had both iPhone and all of the Samsung range and to be honest, I dont see much difference between all three o/s. I got my 735 on 3uk last week and I am pleased with how fast, slim and quality the phone is. The one thing that lets it down which most will say is the app store, but i think once Microsoft realise and improve it, then I think alot of Android and iPhone users will come over.

Dont follow the crowd, be different and have a WP. You wont regret it.

Well Microsoft trying their best,just for developers to join in

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6