01-21-2015 01:16 AM
46 12
tools
    I am at a loss here. Like others have stated here, I NEVER get the swipe up to unlock screen when a call comes. I just get the "Answer or Reject" screen.
    It only comes when your phone is locked
    01-20-2015 01:10 AM
    It only comes when your phone is locked
    Not for all of us, but that has already been described. My phone rings, I take it out of my pocket, the display automatically switched on and lets me either pick up the call or reject it. No lockscreen showing, no swipe needed.
    01-20-2015 02:22 AM
    Not for all of us, but that has already been described. My phone rings, I take it out of my pocket, the display automatically switched on and lets me either pick up the call or reject it. No lockscreen showing, no swipe needed.
    Was your phone locked then? Not just screen timeout
    01-20-2015 02:23 AM
    Was your phone locked then? Not just screen timeout

I always lock my phone before I put it in my pocket. I can still pick up calls without any further action required. Anything but that will require me to unlock the phone first of course.
    01-20-2015 02:25 AM
    I always lock my phone before I put it in my pocket. I can still pick up calls without any further action required. Anything but that will require me to unlock the phone first of course.
    Well my phones have all worked according to instruction so IDK
    Sonu K likes this.
    01-20-2015 02:44 AM
    If you didn't hear it he last 4 or 5 times mentioned... GESTURES BETA!
    Makes these little computers behave more like, well... a phone. I can't believe that only MS has presented a solution. Not even the new iPhone 92 has this feature.
    As long as your phone has a proximity sensor, it will work. From my reading, some of the newer low end Lumias lack these sensors.
    No more swipe, click answer, recover from driving off the road. Just pick up the phone, place it to your ear and say hello.
    RumoredNow and Mahdi Ghiasi like this.
    01-20-2015 08:54 AM
    Makes these little computers behave more like, well... a phone. I can't believe that only MS has presented a solution. Not even the new iPhone 92 has this feature.
    As long as your phone has a proximity sensor, it will work. From my reading, some of the newer low end Lumias lack these sensors.
    No more swipe, click answer, recover from driving off the road. Just pick up the phone, place it to your ear and say hello.
    I think everyone saw it the last 5872827 times it was mentioned. That wasn't the issue though
    Harrie-S and Sonu K like this.
    01-20-2015 09:33 AM
    Little thing called Bluetooth...
    01-20-2015 09:47 AM
    I do not agree with this. If the lock screen would automatically unlock what happens than if you need to get your phone out of your pocket. Before you know it you kill the call or whatever because you touch the screen.
    Precisely what I was thinking. Or the flip side, you accidentally answer it while trying to take the phone out, when you don't want to. Either way, while I can see how the process is less-than-fluid as the OP mentions, I want to have to do more than just press a button to answer to avoid accidental actions.
    01-20-2015 10:14 AM
    Precisely what I was thinking. Or the flip side, you accidentally answer it while trying to take the phone out, when you don't want to. Either way, while I can see how the process is less-than-fluid as the OP mentions, I want to have to do more than just press a button to answer to avoid accidental actions.
    Touch wont work I suppose. If proximity is covered, screen may be lit up, but touch wont work.
    01-20-2015 10:45 AM
    Been using this and it is incredibly cool. All my Android friends are red with envy when I just put the phone to my ear and can start talking :D
    Harrie-S likes this.
    01-20-2015 10:51 AM
    Been using this and it is incredibly cool. All my Android friends are red with envy when I just put the phone to my ear and can start talking :D
    In this case they don't know jack about their devices. Jesus, even my old HTC Touch HD already had these features. And it's nothing new on WP either, Tentative Phone app (HTC) anyone? The HD7 already had it. It's just new to Lumias. Not sure if iPhones have it, but most Androids I know do.
    01-20-2015 11:46 AM
    In this case they don't know jack about their devices. Jesus, even my old HTC Touch HD already had these features. And it's nothing new on WP either, Tentative Phone app (HTC) anyone? The HD7 already had it. It's just new to Lumias. Not sure if iPhones have it, but most Androids I know do.
    So there is an android app that works with a proximity sensor (not just auto answer) that answers the call when the phone is raised to one's ear? I guess I don't know Jack either and btw, what does Jesus have to do with this discussion? I think WC should institute a strict policy of separation of church and phone.
    Harrie-S and gpobernardo like this.
    01-20-2015 12:07 PM
    Some people complains about how Symbian requires too many screen interaction but honestly WP is worse. It appears that the phone answering procedure makes me miss calls. On most other operating systems, the screen goes automatically on and then you just have to either swipe or press on the screen. With WP you must have to swipe upwards to remove the idle screen, then press a button. This is totally unnecessary. Also under stress this swipe motion makes you less able to re-aim for the button, losing time.

My suggestion is that the should not be any requirement to swipe upwards when receiving a phone and just press the button or swipe just like all others. The phone screen shall just be there. Microsoft really got it wrong here and did not test this procedure fully through.
    With the Gestures Beta app, you will be able to answer calls just by placing your phone near your ear - after reading the caller ID on the swipe-able screen. At the same time, you can still choose to swipe the screen or press the answer button. This works for phones both with and without a case - I keep my L1020 in a leather pouch in my pocket almost everytime, and Gestures Beta works just fine*.

You may want to check this subliminally entertaining video for a quick demonstration of what Gestures Beta allows your phone to do:

* - I say "fine" since there is around a 5% miss rate, but that's what "Beta" means. So, if placing the phone near my ear doesn't work, I just tap on the answer button, or swipe upwards in case my phone wasn't active. I don't think it can get simpler than that, current technology is still far from telepathic interactivity.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-20-2015 02:18 PM
    I have this too... But Gestures beta solves it nicely.

I had my wife call me so I could take some screen shots. The call came in while my phone was locked and on Glance. Lumia 1520.3, Official 8.1 + Cyan.

The call comes in and I see this...

Attachment 94192

After sliding the panel up I see this...

Attachment 94193

Now that I have Gestures beta, however, I just look at the first screen and if I want to answer I put the phone to my ear.
    Pretty interesting discussion being had in this thread. I've learned quite a bit.

For instance, TIL RumoredNow is married to a handbag.
    RumoredNow, gpobernardo and Sonu K like this.
    01-20-2015 04:43 PM
    Pretty interesting discussion being had in this thread. I've learned quite a bit.

For instance, TIL RumoredNow is married to a handbag.
    And not a normal handbag but criminal one because here eyes where covered. ;-)
    RumoredNow and Sonu K like this.
    01-20-2015 04:56 PM
    My guess is that if you have a password than you will need to swipe up and than tap yes to answer. If you don't, than it will appear as the simple version. Indeed gestures beta is so intuitive that it makes interacting with my phone easier than ever before !
    01-20-2015 05:30 PM
    I've seen this all the time on my 920 since the very beginning (Amber), and still is even after changing the ROM from Cambodian to Italian. Not that annoying to me though, I prefer this than not.
    01-20-2015 06:27 PM
    I've seen this all the time on my 920 since the very beginning (Amber), and still is even after changing the ROM from Cambodian to Italian. Not that annoying to me though, I prefer this than not.
    Serious question. Haven't you figured out that locked phone = swipe up then answer, and unlocked means simply answer?
    RumoredNow and Sonu K like this.
    01-20-2015 07:09 PM
    My guess is that if you have a password than you will need to swipe up and than tap yes to answer. If you don't, than it will appear as the simple version. Indeed gestures beta is so intuitive that it makes interacting with my phone easier than ever before !
    No lockscreen password here... Sorry to shoot down that theory.

...locked phone = swipe up then answer, and unlocked means simply answer...
    This, however, holds true (at least for me).

...RumoredNow is married to a handbag.
    She won't let me put her actual pic as a contact photo, but a pink Dooney and Bourke she has no issue with.

I tell people, "the bag is calling me." Her mom, she herself calls, "you old bag."
    gpobernardo likes this.
    01-20-2015 08:55 PM
    No lockscreen password here... Sorry to shoot down that theory.

This, however, holds true (at least for me).

She won't let me put her actual pic as a contact photo, but a pink Dooney and Bourke she has no issue with.

I tell people, "the bag is calling me." Her mom, she herself calls, "you old bag."
    Its not a theory, its the official explanation
    01-21-2015 01:16 AM
46 12