Complicated phone answer procedure

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This behavior started for me under Cyan... As dKp 1977 asks, why some and not all?

There must be a setting somewhere... I just have not found it.

Gestures Beta should just work even with the flip case. I think it reads accelerometer + proximity sensors to decide when you have put the phone to your ear. It never fails for me and I love it.

I have just checked all settings where a specific option like that would make sense. I couldn't find anything that comes even close. Couldn't it be device specific for some reason? AluminumRims stated that it was a known issue on the 930.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have just checked all settings where a specific option like that would make sense. I couldn't find anything that comes even close. Couldn't it be device specific for some reason? AluminumRims stated that it was a known issue on the 930.

Possibly, but you don't have it on what I assume is an RM-937 1520 and I do have it on an RM-938 1520. Why split the firmware on variants for this one item?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

But RumordNow has a 1520.3.
And I have a 820 and 925 both on P4D with the same "slide" before pick up.
So it looks like a real mystery.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Possibly, but you don't have it on what I assume is an RM-937 1520 and I do have it on an RM-938 1520. Why split the firmware on variants for this one item?
I've had a 620, 625 and 735.it happens for all. When the phone is locked you need to swipe up, otherwise it works as normal
Its really quite obvious once it happens a few times. Its been there since WP7
Edit : If you don't believe me
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp7/start/make-and-receive-phone-calls
"To answer an incoming call

?When you get an incoming call:
?If your phone is locked, slide up, then tap Answer.
?If your phone is unlocked, tap Answer.
"
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/calling-and-messaging/make-and-receive-phone-calls
"To answer a call

If your phone is locked when you get an incoming call, slide up, and then tap Answer. If your phone is unlocked, tap Answer. To send an incoming call directly to voicemail, tap Ignore."

banger696

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have just put gestures on my L530 with flip wallet. The wallet has a hole at the top so you dont need to open the wallet and it answers just fine as does the speaker come on (another hole) when placed on a desk.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It only comes when your phone is locked

Not for all of us, but that has already been described. My phone rings, I take it out of my pocket, the display automatically switched on and lets me either pick up the call or reject it. No lockscreen showing, no swipe needed.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Not for all of us, but that has already been described. My phone rings, I take it out of my pocket, the display automatically switched on and lets me either pick up the call or reject it. No lockscreen showing, no swipe needed.

Was your phone locked then? Not just screen timeout

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
If you didn't hear it he last 4 or 5 times mentioned... GESTURES BETA!
Makes these little computers behave more like, well... a phone. I can't believe that only MS has presented a solution. Not even the new iPhone 92 has this feature.
As long as your phone has a proximity sensor, it will work. From my reading, some of the newer low end Lumias lack these sensors.
No more swipe, click answer, recover from driving off the road. Just pick up the phone, place it to your ear and say hello.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Makes these little computers behave more like, well... a phone. I can't believe that only MS has presented a solution. Not even the new iPhone 92 has this feature.
As long as your phone has a proximity sensor, it will work. From my reading, some of the newer low end Lumias lack these sensors.
No more swipe, click answer, recover from driving off the road. Just pick up the phone, place it to your ear and say hello.

I think everyone saw it the last 5872827 times it was mentioned. That wasn't the issue though

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Little thing called Bluetooth...

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I do not agree with this. If the lock screen would automatically unlock what happens than if you need to get your phone out of your pocket. Before you know it you kill the call or whatever because you touch the screen.

Precisely what I was thinking. Or the flip side, you accidentally answer it while trying to take the phone out, when you don't want to. Either way, while I can see how the process is less-than-fluid as the OP mentions, I want to have to do more than just press a button to answer to avoid accidental actions.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Precisely what I was thinking. Or the flip side, you accidentally answer it while trying to take the phone out, when you don't want to. Either way, while I can see how the process is less-than-fluid as the OP mentions, I want to have to do more than just press a button to answer to avoid accidental actions.

Touch wont work I suppose. If proximity is covered, screen may be lit up, but touch wont work.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Been using this and it is incredibly cool. All my Android friends are red with envy when I just put the phone to my ear and can start talking :D

In this case they don't know jack about their devices. Jesus, even my old HTC Touch HD already had these features. And it's nothing new on WP either, Tentative Phone app (HTC) anyone? The HD7 already had it. It's just new to Lumias. Not sure if iPhones have it, but most Androids I know do.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
In this case they don't know jack about their devices. Jesus, even my old HTC Touch HD already had these features. And it's nothing new on WP either, Tentative Phone app (HTC) anyone? The HD7 already had it. It's just new to Lumias. Not sure if iPhones have it, but most Androids I know do.
So there is an android app that works with a proximity sensor (not just auto answer) that answers the call when the phone is raised to one's ear? I guess I don't know Jack either and btw, what does Jesus have to do with this discussion? I think WC should institute a strict policy of separation of church and phone.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Some people complains about how Symbian requires too many screen interaction but honestly WP is worse. It appears that the phone answering procedure makes me miss calls. On most other operating systems, the screen goes automatically on and then you just have to either swipe or press on the screen. With WP you must have to swipe upwards to remove the idle screen, then press a button. This is totally unnecessary. Also under stress this swipe motion makes you less able to re-aim for the button, losing time.

My suggestion is that the should not be any requirement to swipe upwards when receiving a phone and just press the button or swipe just like all others. The phone screen shall just be there. Microsoft really got it wrong here and did not test this procedure fully through.

With the Gestures Beta app, you will be able to answer calls just by placing your phone near your ear - after reading the caller ID on the swipe-able screen. At the same time, you can still choose to swipe the screen or press the answer button. This works for phones both with and without a case - I keep my L1020 in a leather pouch in my pocket almost everytime, and Gestures Beta works just fine*.

You may want to check this subliminally entertaining video for a quick demonstration of what Gestures Beta allows your phone to do:

* - I say "fine" since there is around a 5% miss rate, but that's what "Beta" means. So, if placing the phone near my ear doesn't work, I just tap on the answer button, or swipe upwards in case my phone wasn't active. I don't think it can get simpler than that, current technology is still far from telepathic interactivity.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have this too... But Gestures beta solves it nicely.

I had my wife call me so I could take some screen shots. The call came in while my phone was locked and on Glance. Lumia 1520.3, Official 8.1 + Cyan.

The call comes in and I see this...

View attachment 94192

After sliding the panel up I see this...

View attachment 94193

Now that I have Gestures beta, however, I just look at the first screen and if I want to answer I put the phone to my ear.

Pretty interesting discussion being had in this thread. I've learned quite a bit.

For instance, TIL RumoredNow is married to a handbag. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb