New Wiindwos 8.1 User just switched from iPhone! PLS HELP

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
While the iPhone's speed and camera are better, it was hindering my productivity, I had to purchase a special app (iExplorer) just to be able to move my photos from the iPhone to the computer, and attaching files when sending an email is so unintuitive. Anyway, enough of that, so I sed my iPhone 6 aside and bought a Nokia Lumia 930

I have a few questions:

1) I have an Office 365 subscription which allows me to install Office on 5 diff. computers and 5 mobile devices, when I try to sign in on my Windows 8.1 phone, it just gives an error and tells me to try again. Tried restarting my phone, no luck. Tried connecting via my VPN (US Texas) server maybe there is a geographical limitation as to where once can use his Office 365, no luck......what's going on here? now Office is in Read only mode not the full Office

2) Where the heck is the stopwatch in this phone?

3) There is an app called Lumia Camera that keeps failing to install, so I deleted it, how can I get it to install?

4) How come this is a 20MP camera but the 8MP iPhone camera takes sharper and crisper photos?

5) I was very disappointed that this 20MP camera can only shoot videos @ 30 FPS and not 60 FPS like my iPhone 6, is it ever gonna happen to allow us to shoot @ 60 FPS? the smoothness diff between 30 and 60 FPS is like day and night

6) biggest problem I have is my contacts, they were all in my iCloud account, I thought it would be as simple as exporting them and importing them into the People application but I was wrong because the iCloud exports the fields in a weird format that doesn't work properly on this phone. Please tell me there is an easy way of doing this instead of me having to manually enter 500 contacts :(

7) Is there no Google Maps for this phone? I think that's the best GPS maps app hands down and was very disappointed that it wasn't there in the App Store

Hope you can answer all my questions, thanks

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey :) First of all welcome :D and ehm were you trying to post a video? In any case there must have been a link, otherwise you wouldn't be able to post this and ask for help ;P

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey :) First of all welcome :D and ehm were you trying to post a video? In any case there must have been a link, otherwise you wouldn't be able to post this and ask for help ;P
nope, no video, no link, just points as in 1) 2) 3), etc.

I cannot even report my post to a moderator it's telling me the same thing no links allowed

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok let's get you to 10 posts and check if it still persists :p Why did you drop IOS?

Done, check the original post please.

iOS, while the iPhone 6 was great in terms of speed and the camera was the best I've had in any phone especially the ability to take videos @ 60 FPS is amazing.........but....

functionality and practicality wise it was too stupid for an OS this mature to be like this....

1) Try sending an attachment in an email, very difficult and only shows files in your photos or videos so let's say you have some documents stored on iCloud Drive, you can only send them one at a time by going to the file itself and sharing it via email but imagine you wanted to send many documents to a client, it's a nightmare

2) Your photos and videos are locked in the phone, there is no way you are getting them out unless you want to share them somewhere and download them from there, I had to purchase a separate app (iExplorer) for 20 USD just to be able to easily access my iPhone files

3) Loudspeaker should be renamed to low volume speaker, it sucks plain and simple, thats on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, and on the iPhone 6 (had them all)

4) While the app market is great in iOS and I had a few purchased, I came to notice that all I really use is Twitter, Facebook, email, Whatsapp, Viber, and Skype, so no win here for iOS. Plus the apps are becoming just like Android, full of fake reviews and shady apps, so again, app wise, I don't care

5) the biggest problem......... copying my MP3s to my iPhone, first time iTunes would sync my entire library, great, that was easy but then when I added a few songs, it wouldn't update the library, I asked on the iPhone forums and noone had an answer as to how to add the new songs only, working with iTunes is harder than studying for a pHD in nuclear science

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
There's no need to export/import your iCloud contacts. Just add your iCloud account to your phone and enjoy.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I play with my gf's 5s from time to time (for the cool games :winktongue:) and I mostly don't see any reviews at all?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The lumia cam bit is weird, but try installing it again or another 3rd party cam app and check what happens

The phone does not have a built in stopwatch (I hate it as well :/) so downloading one is the solution

4k recording is coming with the Denim update if you have a 1520 or 930

and give Here maps a shot :D

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
The lumia cam bit is weird, but try installing it again or another 3rd party cam app and check what happens

The phone does not have a built in stopwatch (I hate it as well :/) so downloading one is the solution

4k recording is coming with the Denim update if you have a 1520 or 930

and give Here maps a shot :D
How do I update my denim? (crap that sounds weird when I think of Denim all that comes into my head is blue jeans :D)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
How do I update my denim? (crap that sounds weird when I think of Denim all that comes into my head is blue jeans :D)

You could wait it, because WC reported that 930's are getting the update nowadays. Or you could decide to flash the phone, but be careful when doing that

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Right, so I've added my iCloud account and all my iCloud contacts now show.

Now the questions is:

1) If I ever do want to add a new contact, where is it going? if it's going to my phone then it's going to be a mess with some contacts on the phone and some on the iCloud account.

2) Is there a way to mass copy all those iCloud contacts to my Windows phone so I can then delete the iCloud account?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
When adding a new contact the phone will prompt you to decide between a hotmail or gmail account (in your case you might even get the icloud option; not sure). Give it a try ;p

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
When adding a new contact the phone will prompt you to decide between a hotmail or gmail account (in your case you might even get the icloud option; not sure). Give it a try ;p
WOW! you are right man!! it did ask me and I chose iCloud, and the moment I added the contact I checked my iCloud on the web it had that newly added contact!

Excellent integration saves me so much headaches :)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
WOW! you are right man!! it did ask me and I chose iCloud, and the moment I added the contact I checked my iCloud on the web it had that newly added contact!

Excellent integration saves me so much headaches :)

And maybe you like the following even more.

If you go to the people hub and tap on "showing" you can uncheck the "hotmail".
If you than add a contact you can not choose the "hotmail".

corby lambert

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Try downloading the "Lumia camera classic"
I love here maps but I think you can use Google maps through IE
You'll have to download a stopwatch app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo