New Wiindwos 8.1 User just switched from iPhone! PLS HELP

udupa1982

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1) Office for Windows phone is not yet out and will come with Windows 10 and the existing one is very basic and you don't need office365 for that.
2) Download stop clock as there is no inbuilt one.
3) Current Lumia camera app is slow I would advice you to make "default Camera" app as your goto app. You can change defaults by going into settings->right swipe -> cameras and photos.
4) Picture quality wise Nokia camera beats iPhone's camera. Look into lenses and settings within the app for more options.
5) 4K is coming to with the Denim update. Denim is an firmware update for Lumia phones which will come with Windows phone 8.1.1.
7) You can import contracts by linking your icloud account via settings-> add account. You can also import contracts to outlook email account. Once you import contracts to outlook it stays there in your email. That's what I did when I moved from Android to Windows phone.
8) I'm using HERE Maps from 2012 and it's really nice and I have never lost my way using HERE maps. It also has downloading ability where you could download whole State/country map. You can download the whole map of Texas onto your phone and by doing so you will save data while driving.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Yupp this is the best part!!!! Which is why I can't use my gf 5s when I'm lost lol

You could if you'd download Skobbler from the app store. A mere $10 buys you all maps from this planet to download and use offline on any iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod). Simultaneously.

I never understood why so many Windows Phone users claim these offline maps to be a feature unique to Windows Phone when really it's available on all platforms for very little money these days. The Skobbler maps for example are based on the Open Streetmap project and excellent quality.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You could if you'd download Skobbler from the app store. A mere $10 buys you all maps from this planet to download and use offline on any iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod). Simultaneously.

I never understood why so many Windows Phone users claim these offline maps to be a feature unique to Windows Phone when really it's available on all platforms for very little money these days. The Skobbler maps for example are based on the Open Streetmap project and excellent quality.

Does it work for voice-guided navigation too (like Here Drive+) ?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I never understood why so many Windows Phone users claim these offline maps to be a feature unique to Windows Phone when really it's available on all platforms for very little money these days

Did not claim that tho :p I simply meant the the offline features for google maps on ios.. suck xd

BullGuard8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
1) Office for Windows phone is not yet out and will come with Windows 10 and the existing one is very basic and you don't need office365 for that.
2) Download stop clock as there is no inbuilt one.
3) Current Lumia camera app is slow I would advice you to make "default Camera" app as your goto app. You can change defaults by going into settings->right swipe -> cameras and photos.
4) Picture quality wise Nokia camera beats iPhone's camera. Look into lenses and settings within the app for more options.
5) 4K is coming to with the Denim update. Denim is an firmware update for Lumia phones which will come with Windows phone 8.1.1.
7) You can import contracts by linking your icloud account via settings-> add account. You can also import contracts to outlook email account. Once you import contracts to outlook it stays there in your email. That's what I did when I moved from Android to Windows phone.
8) I'm using HERE Maps from 2012 and it's really nice and I have never lost my way using HERE maps. It also has downloading ability where you could download whole State/country map. You can download the whole map of Texas onto your phone and by doing so you will save data while driving.

Great advice bro thanks a lot!! I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my quesitons

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Also you can drag and drop Mp3s on your windows phone via the usb cable or use bluetooth no need to use a sync app, furthermore if you need to use custom ringtones drop the .mp3 or .wav into the ringtone folder. Or you can use the many file managers in the store to move it to that folder :).

Here are a few apps, I would recommend

1) OfficeLens
2) Transparency Tiles / Skinery Themes / Start Perfect
3) Simple Calendar / ical or Chronos
4) Mytube / Metrotube / TubeCast (you can use the latter to cast via the app to a variety of devices, however as you have the 930 you have MiraCast built-in to the device so you can cast your entire screen should you wish via project
my screen)
5) Windows Reading list

Lastly you can pin an website to your start screen and if the developer has implemented the functionality then the pinned website will function just like a native app providing live updates.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Did not claim that tho :p I simply meant the the offline features for google maps on ios.. suck xd
No you didn't. What you did say was, and I quote: Which is why I can't use my gf 5s when I'm lost lol . This has nothing to do with Google Maps at all. This is you saying that your girlfriend's iPhone 5S is incapable of providing you with (proper) maps in case you're lost. Which to me, quite frankly, sounds like fanboyish bull**** par excellence.

And you know what else sucks? iOS's capabilities to run Windows Phone apps. And Windows Phone's capabilities to run iOS apps. You know why they suck? Because just like offline maps for Google Maps this was never part of the original design. Yet for a mere US $10 you can purchase an app that offers offline maps of the entire world for you to download, with voice navigation (pedestrian/bicycle/car), speed trap warnings, real time traffic information and traffic based rerouting. This app is available on both Android and iOS, but not on Windows Phone. I wonder why...

If you wanted to compare Google Maps offline features lets be honest and compare Google Maps on iOS vs. Google Maps on Android vs. Google Maps on Windows Phone. Oh, wait. Google Maps on Windows Phone doesn't exist. Sucks, doesn't it? :wink:

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Hmmmmm..... $21 dollars (maps + traffic) to get what I already have for free. I know which one I'm choosing.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
3), 4), 5) just wait a little bit more for the denim (depending on the carrier).
6) You can use "transfer my data" app, you may have it pre-installed on the phone, or you can download it. You can also export your contact to outlook (the one you logged in your phone), it will automatically appear on your phone.
7) there is an app called "gmaps+", it can pull google map's information and overlay with here/bing map.

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Some more apps that could be useful for you.

1. Files - File Manager
2. Easy Manager - Transfer files to mobile from your PC when both your PC and mobile is connected to the same wifi (i use this one to transfer files)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is you saying that your girlfriend's iPhone 5S is incapable of providing you with (proper) maps in case you're lost. Which to me, quite frankly, sounds like fanboyish bull**** par excellence

LOL chill mate; you're reading into it way too much. I think you should take into consideration that my country does not have wifi hotspots and allowing people to use your wifi for free (shops etc) is a very rare commodity, which means that in case I need to use the iphone without planning ahead (by buying an app or downloading the bit of the map I need via Google maps--- I was only referring to Google Maps btw and not any of the other services) I have a problem... Not a huge one, but still a problem. On the other hand if I were to take out my WP and use it I wouldn't need any kind of connection at all.. This is what I was promoting -_____- I have never said that the iPhone was lacking -____- In fact I have many other posts strewn around this place of me actually praising (in other words not badmouthing) the IOS systems

Have a nice day :)

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I think you should take into consideration that my country does not have wifi hotspots and allowing people to use your wifi for free (shops etc) is a very rare commodity, which means that in case I need to use the iphone without planning ahead (by buying an app or downloading the bit of the map I need via Google maps--- I was only referring to Google Maps btw and not any of the other services) I have a problem... Not a huge one, but still a problem. On the other hand if I were to take out my WP and use it I wouldn't need any kind of connection at all.

So let me get this straight: downloading the required maps from within an app on an iPhone is "planning ahead" while downloading the required maps from within an app on a Windows Phone isn't? In my humble opinion you're gonna have a problem on any device no matter what if you don't download the maps before you need them :wink:

Again, you're not really make much sense to me. Either that or I don't get it :winktongue:
Either way, I'd say we'll leave it at that and agree to disagree in order to not derail this thread any further.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Simple.. Download offline maps for any country you want via Here maps and keep it on the phone for whenever you want it; no payment necessary...

Oy Vey :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs