Banks giving up support for Windows Phone. The plane has hit the mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Apple is the exception to this, Android however, along with Microsoft is making its way through low cost devices. The flagship phones just bolster the mindshare. Don't overlook the power of high volume low cost. Hell even the most successful grocers (Walmart, sams club etc.) survive through mass volume sales and low cost products.

I don't think it's impossible to make money on high-volume-low-cost. It's just very hard, especially in a market where the OS is ubiquitous and it's difficult to differentiate (like Android, Windows, and Windows Phone). And in the case of Windows Phone, Android is occupying the only space we can eat into.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't take bank apps as a factor when buying my phones; specially when the web page using IE works perfectly. People have been killing WP since WP7 and I still think that the best is yet to come and I've been thinking the same since WP7.5.

If you ask me everything has been getting even better with each iteration.

StudentoflifeUSMC

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Except that they won't.

You have to remember, we are the exception here. Most of America's WP users don't know a Windows Insider program exists, and if they did - they're not going to run it because of that big statement of 'your warranty will be voided.' And with ATT and Tmobile doing their 'lease' programs, you have to turn the phone back into the store. It only takes a moment to see that you're not running the stock OS. Will they do anything ? I don't know, but I do know that a lot of consumers, they're not going to take the chance on it.

So for the majority of Windows users, that App gap will exist until Late 2015 if they're lucky.

And a LOT of ATT WP users bought their Nokia Lumia 920s in December/January timeframe. I know, I was one of them. The thing was $49 with a free wireless qi charger. Who wouldn't? So...what do they upgrade to? A 1520 ? Those aren't even carried in a lot of ATT stores any longer. The 830? Not really an upgrade. The M8? Maybe, but then again, it's not a Nokia, and the camera is suspect.

So they hold out...for how long? My 920 is 2 years old, and the battery is now down to giving me about 10 hours of charge a day. Nothing against the phone, but batteries have limited lifespans. They're consumables. And again, I can't be alone in this.

So where do we go? What does WP have that the others dont at this point, being they've already ported off Microsoft Office to Android and IOS, and they've already said Cortana will likely go the same route as well.

A big app gap, a tied down platform that stifles developers creativity, almost no exclusive features left, and no upgrade path.

That's not a recipe for success.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
With Chase I twittered to them, emailed my branch contact, worked out the Business CEO and emailed her and basically let everyone know I was surprised and not happy. From the top they said they just don't have enough WP users to justify support. I imagine BOA decided to do the same. So until Microsoft sell a lot of US phones we're going to continue the decline. No Zillow anymore, Chase, BOA, Geico etc.

I pointed out Universal Apps and the number of PCs and tablets requiring apps... but we'll see. It's ultra annoying, but I can see the logic.

Let's face it, when we can't get apps like SnapChat (and that would be worldwide usable on 70m+ phones) it's not great for the platform, but other than sell more phones, what else can Microsoft really do.

Still, I enjoy my phone and like not having the same as everyone else. Being on this ride is part of the fun. W10 looks really neat and this will be a good year despite no Chase or BOA!

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
With Chase I twittered to them, emailed my branch contact, worked out the Business CEO and emailed her and basically let everyone know I was surprised and not happy. From the top they said they just don't have enough WP users to justify support. I imagine BOA decided to do the same. So until Microsoft sell a lot of US phones we're going to continue the decline. No Zillow anymore, Chase, BOA, Geico etc.

I pointed out Universal Apps and the number of PCs and tablets requiring apps... but we'll see. It's ultra annoying, but I can see the logic.

Let's face it, when we can't get apps like SnapChat (and that would be worldwide usable on 70m+ phones) it's not great for the platform, but other than sell more phones, what else can Microsoft really do.

Still, I enjoy my phone and like not having the same as everyone else. Being on this ride is part of the fun. W10 looks really neat and this will be a good year despite no Chase or BOA!

What I don't get it what is the "magic number"?
Microsoft sold 10 million Lumias in one quarter. How many more do they need before developers pay attention. The fact is they should be paying attention to user install base, not marketshare which is hugely misleading. I fail to see how a pool of at least 15 million users is not enough for Snapchat. Banks might be more skewed because of regional breakdowns, but I still don't see the excuse. If they won't tell us how many users they demand, they have no right to use it as an excuse.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What I don't get it what is the "magic number"?
Microsoft sold 10 million Lumias in one quarter. How many more do they need before developers pay attention. The fact is they should be paying attention to user install base, not marketshare which is hugely misleading. I fail to see how a pool of at least 15 million users is not enough for Snapchat. Banks might be more skewed because of regional breakdowns, but I still don't see the excuse. If they won't tell us how many users they demand, they have no right to use it as an excuse.

100 million just guessing but its probably that

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Where is Joe "Over-promise, Under-deliver" Belfiore? What happened to closing the app gap? The non-response / lack of fight from Microsoft is maddening

Think about it. What is Microsoft seriously supposed to do to solve it? The only thing they could do - and no doubt have done a lot of times already - is pay companies/devs to bring their apps to Windows Phone. Instagram is a great example of how this ends. They grab the money, throw out a half assed version of their app and never work on it again. Sure, Microsoft could just continue throwing money at them, but where would that lead? And how would that even end? Microsoft can barely know what app will be the next "big thing". Just as an example, who would have thought that a ridiculously crappy service like Snapchat would ever become a hit?

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As long as they don't pull the windows 8.1 app we're fine. That can easily be converted to a universal app this fall. Yes, Windows 10 will be the panacea. Tens of millions of Windows 7 computers will be upgraded to 10 overnight which will instantly expose Windows Store apps to tens of millions of customers.

There's no ignoring the hundreds of millions of Windows PCs out there. Be patient people.

This mess is MS own doing. Steve Sinofsky destroyed Windows with 8 and starting from scratch on Phone.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I just don't think this " universal app" thing is going to take off if devs have to develop differently based on PC,tabs,and phones! Now if its just a case of make the app and the os will automatically adjust based on device....then it will automatically work! But if still takes the developer to adjust the coding according to device .....there just going to make it for tabs and PC, maybe phones. Like the Kinect for the one......how many games are there with Kinect implemented? Now ms sell ones without kinects because that big maybe never really happend. We have universal apps now but only like 10 of them

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just don't think this " universal app" thing is going to take off if devs have to develop differently based on PC,tabs,and phones! Now if its just a case of make the app and the os will automatically adjust based on device....then it will automatically work! But if still takes the developer to adjust the coding according to device .....there just going to make it for tabs and PC, maybe phones. Like the Kinect for the one......how many games are there with Kinect implemented? Now ms sell ones without kinects because that big maybe never really happend. We have universal apps now but only like 10 of them

Actually, for apps that use built in controls it really IS write once and run an phone, tablet, PC. It does automatically work even today.

However sometimes layout isn't appropriate and so you need small View changes. Or I/O isn't support the same (e.g. camera interop) etc. And those changes take a little time. In the big scheme of things, generally a little time though.

Developers should all be writing Universal Apps today.

Bigger issues existing in Microsoft's poor developer backend - two portals, single user access only. Better stats. Junk like that. That's what devs hope they fix more!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I bank with a local credit union who expressed to me they were not going to build an app for Windows phone and I should use its web based solution or get android or IOS. Web based, I'll continue using my computer as I always have. Even if I were to switch support, the apps they produced for IOS and Android are 3 and 2 stars from those that do use it respectively. Point is, I don't use a major bank for my banking business and am not affected by it. I use Mint and MoBudget Pro on my 1520. Works out just fine for me. Besides, 3 /12 stars for BOA isn't exactly praise worthy.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I bank with a local credit union who expressed to me they were not going to build an app for Windows phone and I should use its web based solution or get android or IOS. Web based, I'll continue using my computer as I always have.

I know what you mean. I use a regional bank. They have apps for iOS & Android. Even though I use an Android as my primary device, I still have somewhat of a compromised experience because their Android app is somewhat gimped compared to the apps for larger banks. I can do pretty much everything except deposit. My bank's Android app doesn't have that feature (I don't know if their iOS app has it). But my experience with the bank is excellent. It's worth it to me to keep from switching for a better mobile experience.

A redeeming factor of my bank is that it has branches all over the place. There are probably 6 or 7 locations I can drive to within 10 minutes. Seriously, they're thick! The closest is 1 mile from my house. I live in a (heavily populated) rural community.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean. I use a regional bank. They have apps for iOS & Android. Even though I use an Android as my primary device, I still have somewhat of a compromised experience because their Android app is somewhat gimped compared to the apps for larger banks. I can do pretty much everything except deposit. My bank's Android app doesn't have that feature (I don't know if their iOS app has it). But my experience with the bank is excellent. It's worth it to me to keep from switching for a better mobile experience.

A redeeming factor of my bank is that it has branches all over the place. There are probably 6 or 7 locations I can drive to within 10 minutes. Seriously, they're thick! The closest is 1 mile from my house. I live in a (heavily populated) rural community.

Exactly.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't make sense that they would pull it due to lack of market share yet not remove their app for BlackBerry. There has to be another reason whether it be taxes, the upcoming W10 app, or something more sinister like their agreement with Apple to use Pay.

In any regard, if you're not happy like myself, COMMUNICATE IT!
@windowsphone
@joebelfiore
@BofA_Help
@Chase
@Microsoft
1.877.CHASEPC
1.800.933.6262 (BofA Online Banking Help)

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Think about it. What is Microsoft seriously supposed to do to solve it? The only thing they could do - and no doubt have done a lot of times already - is pay companies/devs to bring their apps to Windows Phone. Instagram is a great example of how this ends. They grab the money, throw out a half assed version of their app and never work on it again. Sure, Microsoft could just continue throwing money at them, but where would that lead? And how would that even end? Microsoft can barely know what app will be the next "big thing". Just as an example, who would have thought that a ridiculously crappy service like Snapchat would ever become a hit?

At this point YES MS needs to open wallet to make sure they are competitive with APPS that cannot be duplicated by 3rd parties.

Your average Joe can make a good instgram app alternative as we saw before but no one can duplicate the built in features of banking apps.

So if MS is unwilling to keep a wide array of banking apps on baord they will lose users and users will think twice before buying into a WP.

WP already has a stigma that it lacks APPS, if it loses all the major US banking apps that will just hurt further.

WP will never pick up on market share if they keep losing apps. So MS needs to pony up money to subsidize dev costs to keep these APPS.

If MS does not act they are going to lose even more marketshare which will cause more APPS to disapear which will cause them to lose more marketshare, and around and around we go till it all falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb