How does WP's update system work?

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I haven't got any of the OS updates(Amber,black,cyan,and denim) on my wp8 so far.Now windows 10(phone) is about to be released.I would definitely want that.So do I need to update all these available updates one by one before getting windows10?I read an article on The Verge.com it reads "Microsoft has promised that all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10".does this mean to say that I can get windows 10 once it is available even without bothering to update to wp8.1?.if yes will i miss any of the features available on wp8.1?what if I update my phone first with all the available updates including denim,then updated to windows 10? is there any difference?will I get all the feathers of older updates if i do so?or windows 10 is a clean installation meaning that it will clear the old OS completely as i install windows 10?I may sound very naive but i am bit confused here.Please help me clarify this.Thank you

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Which phone and os version do you have and are you locked to a carrier.
Bye the way it still takes at least 6 months before windows 10 is official released.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
What phone? Do you have auto update enabled? I have a SIM free/unlocked UK 930 and it had Cyan on it when purchased. Just got Denim couple of days ago.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Yes i know it may take more than 6 months before the final release.But i am curious to know that's all.I use lumia 720.OS vers:8.0.10211.204

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I didn't update my phone on purpose.I ignored the updates.Sure i will update the phone soon to wp8.1 but the question is,will the windows 10 update be a clean installation or just an addition to wp8.1?"Microsoft has promised that all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10" so does this mean that I can update directly to windows 10 from wp8?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes i know it may take more than 6 months before the final release.But i am curious to know that's all.I use lumia 720.OS vers:8.0.10211.204

Basically if you update now and use the Lumia software recovery tool you would get the latest update for your phone. This update includes all earlier updates so you do not have to do it step by step.

The only but is. If you are locked to a carrier and the carrier does not allow the update than you can not update.

Apart from that there is no reason why your 720 can not get windows 10.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't update my phone on purpose.I ignored the updates.Sure i will update the phone soon to wp8.1 but the question is,will the windows 10 update be a clean installation or just an addition to wp8.1?"Microsoft has promised that all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10" so does this mean that I can update directly to windows 10 from wp8?

Yes you can go directly from window 8.0 to windows 10.
But you also can go from 8.1 to 10 (without a clean install)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No that is not true.

Actually, if you want to go through Windows Update, it is definitely true. Your PC needs to be up to date to do it that way. Of course, on a PC, you can just use the ISO if you're on an out of date version.

I would assume the phone would have to have the same requirements, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Unlike android here u can go direct to the new version and it will not lack any features.
But I am curious why u didn't upgrade to the earlier upgrades even now? How long has it been since u bought the phone?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Yes you can go directly from window 8.0 to windows 10.
But you also can go from 8.1 to 10 (without a clean install)

is there any difference between these two?I mean if it is not a clean install then if I get windows 10 directly I might lack some features of wp8.1 is that right?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
is there any difference between these two?I mean if it is not a clean install then if I get windows 10 directly I might lack some features of wp8.1 is that right?

No you will not miss anything.

Updates to Windows Phone 8 are cumulative?so when you install the latest update, you'll also get all the previous updates (if your phone doesn't have them already). Only updates that apply to your phone will be downloaded and installed. Update availability varies by phone model, region, and mobile operator.

See also this link.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Unlike android here u can go direct to the new version and it will not lack any features.
But I am curious why u didn't upgrade to the earlier upgrades even now? How long has it been since u bought the phone?

My wifi isn't fast enough to upgrade.I tried few times and it got stuck and update wasn't successful and finally i gave it up in the end.I use my wp just for onenote and mails,so i didn't bother to upgrade it.windows 10 really interested me.so wondered how the windows 10 upgrade works.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
No you will not miss anything.

Updates to Windows Phone 8 are cumulative—so when you install the latest update, you'll also get all the previous updates (if your phone doesn't have them already). Only updates that apply to your phone will be downloaded and installed. Update availability varies by phone model, region, and mobile operator.

See also this link.
Windows Phone 8 update history | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

oh thank you this makes sense.let me see if I got this right,So If I now check for update on my phone it will show me "an update is ready to install" this means it has gathered all the available uninstalled updates in a queue and install them one by one automatically?(in my case will it update amber,black,cyan,denim automatically in one single update?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
oh thank you this makes sense.let me see if I got this right,So If I now check for update on my phone it will show me "an update is ready to install" this means it has gathered all the available uninstalled updates in a queue and install them one by one automatically?(in my case will it update amber,black,cyan,denim automatically in one single update?

Yes you should go in one time to the latest version.

I don't know if you go to DENIM because I do not know if DENIM is already relized yet for your phone.

You have to check the denim status for your phone in this link.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...pdate%2Fwp8-software-update%2F&token=JEVlBEqP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786