Does reseting a phone bring it back to the original OS that was installed at factory?

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site
When you do that about->reset thing, will it bring it all the way back to 8.0 if that was what was on the device? It's like how it would be from opening the original box?

I understand there would be no "custom rom's" with WP devices so does there's no revert back to something else, right?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The short answer is no (simple explanation is that its a one-way upgrade)

There are ways to downgrade however, but nothing that you can do on the phone by itself.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
No it resets it to the latest official released software.
With lsrt you "only" loose the preview for developer updates. (if you where on pfd)
Every WP version is official, the recovery tool simply flashes the last commercially available OS version and the last firmware available to your product code.
It could or it couldn't be the same version you already have, so you may achieve the same result with the reset option from the settings.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Every WP version is official, the recovery tool simply flashes the last commercially available OS version and the last firmware available to your product code.
It could or it couldn't be the same version you already have, so you may achieve the same result with the reset option from the settings.

What is the difference with my reply?.
Bye the way firmware and OS are software.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia Software Recovery Tool only offers the latest "Official" release for your device. Just as others have stated above. Let's look at this a moment. Using LSRT will have varying results. There is no "one answer" because each user is in some ways unique.

Using LSRT:
  • Under 60% of active Windows Phones made the update from 8.0 + Black to 8.1 + Cyan. A user could be running Amber or Black and flash to Denim depending on their Region/Country/Model/etc.
  • As mentioned above, any Preview for Developers advancements to the core OS will be lost when using LSRT. A user on P4D could be beyond 8.1.1 on the OS due to P4D and gain benefits of Denim level core App updates then loose it all and go back to 8.1 + Cyan by using LSRT depending on Region/Country/Model/etc.
  • Your phone could be current with Official and using LSRT is a strictly lateral move and restores exactly what you had

It's always best to check the lists to determine what LSRT will give you. Remember to base this on your Phone's original Region/Country/Model/Carrier or Country variant. It has nothing to do with where you are standing or what carrier network you happen to be on - unless those personal conditions match the phone 100%. For example, I am in the United States and am on an AT&T mvno. LSRT will not give me an AT&T ROM for my 1520. It follows what the phone reports as; a Factory Unlocked, Latin America Region, Country Variant.

Here are the lists (Microsoft is pretty good about keeping them up to date): Software update for Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Microsoft - Global
_____

Using "Factory Reset" (Settings > about > reset your phone) or "Hard Reset" (physical button push combination):
  • This will restore the last "system image" saved in the phone's recovery memory

And that's all it can do... Again, the results might vary by user. A phone that has never taken an OS update, will again be just as it was when leaving the factory. If your phone had updates then doing a factory or hard type of reset brings you to where you were at the last OTA that you installed.

It's important to note, if you have taken an OTA that has some bad code due to network interruption or other factors, all you can do by resetting to the system image stored in the phone is repeat the errors and bugs.

I don't believe that a Factory Reset or Hard Reset restores any P4D updates??? Anyone have more solid info on that?
_____

You can revert to earlier Official versions of the OS and Firmware or even flash a compatible ROM from the same variant, but with different Region, etc. That, however, is beyond the scope of the OP's question and a topic best left for elsewhere...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LSRT does not restore P4D. If a device is on P4D, LSRT will restore to the current approved firmware & OS version for that device. . .

's'what I said in the LSRT portion of my post...

What I was asking is if anyone on P4D knows if restoring from the image on the phone restores P4D updates or no. When I was on P4D I never did a hard reset with the physical buttons on the phone or used Settings > about > reset your phone. I also can't find any first hand reports quickly and am not spending my whole day digging for something that does not affect me.

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site
Can you make an image of your phone's present state and save it? Would it be saved to the reset image? Or do you have to save it to some file on a computer and use some sort of restore tool?

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If you settings, about, reset your phone with pfd you do not lose the pfd updates. I have done this multiple times. The only way to lose the updates is with lsrt.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
's'what I said in the LSRT portion of my post...

What I was asking is if anyone on P4D knows if restoring from the image on the phone restores P4D updates or no. When I was on P4D I never did a hard reset with the physical buttons on the phone or used Settings > about > reset your phone. I also can't find any first hand reports quickly and am not spending my whole day digging for something that does not affect me.
Oops -- my bad. . .

:cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans