Switched carriers; is there a way to switch firmware?

codytebaldi

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 635 that I originally purchased for the "Walmart Family Mobile" plan (which is powered by T-Mobile). I had no problems with the service during my vacation or while traveling back home for most of the way. But sadly, T-Mobile just doesn't have service where I actually live - I found out that I was permanently roaming and while I was able to at least call and SMS on a local 2G network, obviously I bought the Lumia for more than that. So after a 40-day-active IMEI requirement, I switched to Cricket, whose plan is comparable and only slightly more expensive than the Walmart plan.

I got the phone unlocked and activated the Cricket SIM and the service works nicely. But I'd like to know if there's a way to ditch the T-Mobile-branded Cyan - and perhaps install Cricket's? I know Cricket sells 635's, so I imagine they must have their own firmware, or perhaps use AT&T's. But even a completely un-branded Cyan would be preferable to what I have now.

The reason is that T-Mobile's Cyan is missing features. For example, when first setting up the phone, I repeatedly tried to set up "visual voicemail" until I learned it wasn't supported through the Walmart plan; so I ignored it then. But Cricket actually supports it, and I'd really like to activate it now. Problem is, it's not there anymore. I distinctly recall seeing the option when going through the phone in December, but at some point one of the OS updates pushed by T-Mobile since December seems to have completely removed the option from the phone altogether. I cannot find it on the Phone Settings page. Same with the phone-as-hotspot feature - the entire "Internet Sharing" page has been completely removed from the settings menu. I can't even say what else has been removed or changed.

I'd really like to use these WP 8.1 features that my new plan supports. How/where do I get and install an unrestricted Cyan build?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99