Best method for reformatting my micro sd card and get all of my data back on it?

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My sd card is in need of a reformat - pictures are no longer saving to the card (though they do eventually turn up on onedrive) and the phone asks repeatedly to repair the card with no benefit

I have my music, numerous videos, photos, saved photos, camera roll photos and nearly all of my apps stored there now. If i reformat the card, what is the best way to be sure that the data is restored to the card correctly?

nomanquadri

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
All the media files you could move to your PC and later transfer back to the SD card. For the apps, backing up your app list to the cloud won't help because you can only restore from a backup when you hard reset your phone. You could make a note (or take screenshots, or use the purchase history of your MS account) of the apps installed and later reinstall them. But if you have space on your phone you could move as many apps to your phone storage just move them back after the format.
Can't vouch for this being the best way btw, hope others help you too.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

I agree with ^^^^^^^^
Move all apps to your phone memory. And write down the ones which not fit on the internal memory.
(and even if possible copy some stuff which is on the internal memory to your pc to make more space for your apps)
Copy all directories from your sd to your pc.
And because your sd card "indicates" it has failures i would use the pc to do a "slow" format.
After the formatting copy back the "sd" directories.

The copying goes faster if the sd card is in the pc so i would suggest to do the coping if the sd card is in your pc.

It could be that some data or apps are "missing" due to possible "defects" on your sd card.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've transfered all the apps that I could to the phone, then made a copy of the card contents to my desktop. However, the card cannot be formatted by any method, even went to the SD website and downloaded SDFormatter - no luck. Using treesize professional to view the contents of the card, the WPSytem files appear to be write protected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3