The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-22-2015 03:58 PM
123 1234 ...
tools
    Since I always buy midrange phones OS updates are the thing that's keeping me on WP. Most android midrange phones receive one update and it's goodby forever. Then you're stuck with a phone that has a year old OS version (if you're lucky) and another year until your contract is up.

Also the live tiles. I find them fantastic.
    02-20-2015 04:20 PM
    A two year contract ๐Ÿ˜‚
    LOOOL that made me laugh ๐Ÿ˜‚
    02-20-2015 04:46 PM
    In a word, actually few words. Hope in windows case and H8 for the A's
    02-20-2015 05:06 PM
    I like the simplicity of the UI. So easy to get around and find things. Even my girlfriend who has an iPhone can pick up my phone and get around on it with no problem. Same cant be said when I pick up her phone. If she didnt have so much time left on her contract she would be switching to WP. Oh and she loves the camera as do I. Cant wait to try Windows 10 on my 1520 and I cant wait for the next flagship.
    02-20-2015 05:07 PM
    Lumia devices. I'd have no problem owning an Apple device, but I'm not a fan of iOS and deep down I know id be over paying for said Apple device. Android 5.X is growing on me, its the first version of Android I actually thought looked appealing. I have a Nexus 7 2013. There certainly are a few Android devices I wouldn't mind owning. OnePlus One, Samsung Note 4, Galaxy S, Nexus 5, G3, Oppo makes solid devices... I'd probably miss the PureView camera, though.

I would not be devastated if I were forced to buy a non WP device, next. However, my upgrade is in July, and I'm eagerly awaiting that new Lumia flagship! If it doesn't grab me or it's slow to land on AT&T, ill have to get another option. I can't be wasting my upgrade on this NEXT plan. Have to get them ASAP or I'm just wasting money.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 02-20-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    Bomgoat, Robinsonmac and shockjay like this.
    02-20-2015 05:09 PM
    2-stage camera key. Best. Gimmick. Ever.
    Legoboyii likes this.
    02-20-2015 05:18 PM
    Fluidity of the OS and cameras (Android flagships have cameras that can't really compare to my 1020) :P
    02-20-2015 05:18 PM
    The fact is not obbligatory upgrade to windows 10

signatura here --v

im Spanish and do not speak English perfectly
    hi!
    02-20-2015 05:58 PM
    Android OEMs keep saying that custom skins are the real differentiators, but they actually drive me nuts. Just ironic.
    Legoboyii likes this.
    02-20-2015 06:01 PM
    Windows Phone works for me. I luv the OS. App situation is not a deal breaker. Every app I use or need is available. Plus, I work and play in Microsoft's ecosystem..so its a natural fit.
    horseybob and Robinsonmac like this.
    02-20-2015 06:06 PM
    The UI itself. I love its simplicity and fluidity...

Oh, and I also love bright colors.
    02-20-2015 06:37 PM
    Surprisingly a lot of the reasons are hardware, at least for me. To quote from another thread:

The main reasons for me not to jump ship back to iOS:
    - Price: I'm off contract, and an iPhone 6 is crazy expensive.
    - Optical image stabilization: only the iPhone 6+ has it, but I'd like a ~5" screen
    - Cortana. Maybe Siri works equally well, but I like Cortana's voice and the voice recognition quality
    - Glance, and being able to have the next upcoming appointment on the lock screen.
    - Free offline maps for international travel. I do own Garmin USA maps on iOS though
    - Having an SD card slot.
    - Wireless charging
    - press and hold the camera button to launch the camera

Things I'd miss from WP but that I can probably do without:
    - Pinning OneDrive documents to the start screen
    - Drag and drop music and videos between phone and PC, and not having to use iTunes
    - Pinning of separate email accounts to Start
    - The photos tile. Looks so cheerful every day
    - A smoothly scrolling start screen
    - A touch KB that shows capital letters when you hit SHIFT (wtf Apple..)
    02-20-2015 06:45 PM
    Live tiles, Panorama like UI... My most favorite features of Windows Phone.

I HOPE MS WILL NOT REMOVE THE PANORAMA FEATURE ON THE UPCOMING WINDOWS 10!
    Qais Abu-Hasan and Legoboyii like this.
    02-20-2015 06:45 PM
    The premise of this thread is bothering me every time I look at it.

"What's holding you from leaving windows phone?"

That presupposes everybody wants to leave and they just have excuses for not doing so. This title in NO WAY applies to me. I have no desire to move to another mobile OS or ecosystem.
    02-20-2015 08:53 PM
    I think that the app problem will vanish after windows 10 update , don't you think?
    Yes the number of apps will increase after release of Windows 10. Microsoft is offering a free upgrade for those who are on windows 7/8/8.1. Lots of pc's are still running windows 7 and they will surely upgrade as it is free. That will give developers a huge platform. This in turn will benefit the Windows 10 for Phone apps also.

Just a word to those who are talking about the app gap :
    Actually android and iphone have tons of apps and most of them are not note worthy. Most of the apps on android and iphone are available on windows mobile today.

After using Samsung galaxy S5 for a year now as an experiment, I can surely say that android is laggy and full of bloatware & malware.
    the whole taco likes this.
    02-20-2015 09:07 PM
    Can't afford an iPhone!
    02-20-2015 09:26 PM
    Android has more apps but seems more buggy and unstable and iPhones are too expensive and aren't impact resistant. I've dropped my Lumia 635 Bunch of times. If I had an iPhone I'd be on my 10th about now lol.
    02-20-2015 09:36 PM
    Before answering
    - I own a Galaxy note 4 and a Lumia 1520

So what keeps me on the 1520
    - OS, although not fully functional and full of issues works overall better than android. Phone never slows down. No one crash in ages. Big tiles make things easier also on big screens (it means you can do many things with one hand if you know how to put tiles and how to handle the device properly)
    - Windows sucks less data than Google does. I won't stretch as far as saying it offers more privacy as they both closely cooperate with governments so privacy on these devices is utopic. However, it feels better.
    - The phone used as a photo/videocamera goes well above my expectations. To the point that i often leave my M4/3 camera at home unless i really need to shoot something afar. Pictures are really gorgeous and night pictures come out beautiful out of the box. Videos are just a tad worse but still much much over what an average user needs. I was impressed one year ago and things are only improving in that department
    - Simplicity. Despite the menus being messed up in these versions (8.1 DP) once you find the key item the submenus are easy to understand and do what they say. Android is somewhat better structured in terms of main menus but the subs (at least in all my Samsung devices and the HTC too at times) are hard to find.
    - UI looks good on WP (but not very customizable). While having to use Android because i need it, the icon concept for me keeps looking very childish. I have applied a varied of custom UIs over time and i have found a good compromise (but i lose the key functions of the TouchWiz on the Note). For some reason all those childish icons have me tired and bored.

What keeps me from migrating to the WinPhone platform altogether.
    - OS still in the works (Basic functions missing, customization still low despite the hype, browsers very subpar, lack of proper language tools, lack of proper mail management, lack of key apps i need for work. I don't like onedrive either. It's so buggy that i lost tons of documents i really needed so i

Will it keep me on it? 100% sure if MSFT adds what i am missing (In particular better browser, proper chinese inputs, good email client, in the style of K9 on Android or better....the outlook app on Android looks fine but it's somewhat boring). I can stretch as far as RE-Buying all apps i need on the WP platform on the condition that they make things happen quick. In lack of proper patching and improvements i may go for Blackberry, which already allows access to all the android apps i need without being on a Google platform and offering a good level of safety and, well, email apps are just top notch.
    02-20-2015 10:21 PM
    androids bloatware is what keeps me away.
    Root and gone.

But still, I totally get it. Bloatware is a MAJOR Android problem.

I am the one that knocks...
    02-20-2015 11:44 PM
    The ui, live tiles, my life is a post it note anyway so the pin to home screen suits me perfectly, for apps most of, if not all the ones I use are there, games I tend to use my iPad or vita anyway, tried practically every iPhone and android phone out there, I'm sticking with WP
    02-21-2015 12:56 AM
    Finances. I don't have the money to jump to a different phone nevermind OS. Much as I love Windows Phone, I feel I should check out what the world has to offer me.
    02-21-2015 01:17 AM
    I never spent more than 200 euros in a mobile phone (except for the nokia 6230 with a colossal 64Mb MMC and 0.3mp camera!)
    At this price-point ,iPhone is not an option and android is really not impressing me, mainly for it's unconsistant performance and the fact that you must dedicate some time to get it run slightly faster.

I found myself ,with every Android device I had ,constantly pressing the task-killer to clean up some ram.
    It started to become something like nightmare and I often found myself using futurephones to have less things to worry about in my mind!

But if money wasn't an object I would probably go for a pricier Lumia phone ,like the next 9xx
    (if only the battery life would give you 1.5-2 days of moderate use) ..
    I wouldn't buy an iPhone ,although I'm a sucker for fluidity and transparency ,mainly because I don't want another LCD screen like ever again :P

My next phone will be the Lumia 735 (or the next 7xx because I'm fed up with the SD400) mainly because of the great colors/ viewing angles of the screen.

All and all , WP is great on midrange phones and truly worrying free OS without any nasty surprices.
    02-21-2015 01:48 AM
    What;s holding me? Nothing! I just love WP and Lumia.

I won't use an HTC,Yezz or any other windows phone. And I won't use a Nokia Android.
    02-21-2015 01:59 AM
    Metro/Modern design language (Segoe font, accent colors, icons, pivots)
    Start screen (live tiles, different sizes, transparency)
    Fluidity of OS*
    Microsoft stuff (Outlook, Bing, Onedrive, Cortana, Onenote)
    Nokia stuff (Here maps, MixRadio, Nokia Camera)

Stuff that was removed or in the process of being phased out:

Nokia branding
    auto-hiding system tray
    Hubs
    Games only in the games hub
    All Windows Phones have a camera button

*inconsistent with 8.1
    captaincalamity likes this.
    02-21-2015 02:24 AM
    Strange question by OP. Should be why aren't more people switching to this awesome platform w outstanding devices like the 1520
    02-21-2015 02:28 AM
123 1234 ...