What's holding you from leaving windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
XBL support, camera, and general feel of OS...

What keeps me away from iOS is the overpriced hardware, and hate of xcode.

What keeps me from Android... Not to sure the lag from days of the past is still an issue... Just haven't seen anything compelling to draw me over.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
UI is unique, the whole "Flip" transition I still love! The App thing starting to bug me.....looking at my apps(which I brought) is 1529 ...... How many do we really need? There's enough for everyone personally

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Since I always buy midrange phones OS updates are the thing that's keeping me on WP. Most android midrange phones receive one update and it's goodby forever. Then you're stuck with a phone that has a year old OS version (if you're lucky) and another year until your contract is up.

Also the live tiles. I find them fantastic.

Bomgoat

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I like the simplicity of the UI. So easy to get around and find things. Even my girlfriend who has an iPhone can pick up my phone and get around on it with no problem. Same cant be said when I pick up her phone. If she didnt have so much time left on her contract she would be switching to WP. Oh and she loves the camera as do I. Cant wait to try Windows 10 on my 1520 and I cant wait for the next flagship.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lumia devices. I'd have no problem owning an Apple device, but I'm not a fan of iOS and deep down I know id be over paying for said Apple device. Android 5.X is growing on me, its the first version of Android I actually thought looked appealing. I have a Nexus 7 2013. There certainly are a few Android devices I wouldn't mind owning. OnePlus One, Samsung Note 4, Galaxy S, Nexus 5, G3, Oppo makes solid devices... I'd probably miss the PureView camera, though.

I would not be devastated if I were forced to buy a non WP device, next. However, my upgrade is in July, and I'm eagerly awaiting that new Lumia flagship! If it doesn't grab me or it's slow to land on AT&T, ill have to get another option. I can't be wasting my upgrade on this NEXT plan. Have to get them ASAP or I'm just wasting money.

Last edited:

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone works for me. I luv the OS. App situation is not a deal breaker. Every app I use or need is available. Plus, I work and play in Microsoft's ecosystem..so its a natural fit.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly a lot of the reasons are hardware, at least for me. To quote from another thread:

The main reasons for me not to jump ship back to iOS:
- Price: I'm off contract, and an iPhone 6 is crazy expensive.
- Optical image stabilization: only the iPhone 6+ has it, but I'd like a ~5" screen
- Cortana. Maybe Siri works equally well, but I like Cortana's voice and the voice recognition quality
- Glance, and being able to have the next upcoming appointment on the lock screen.
- Free offline maps for international travel. I do own Garmin USA maps on iOS though
- Having an SD card slot.
- Wireless charging
- press and hold the camera button to launch the camera

Things I'd miss from WP but that I can probably do without:
- Pinning OneDrive documents to the start screen
- Drag and drop music and videos between phone and PC, and not having to use iTunes
- Pinning of separate email accounts to Start
- The photos tile. Looks so cheerful every day
- A smoothly scrolling start screen
- A touch KB that shows capital letters when you hit SHIFT (wtf Apple..)

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Live tiles, Panorama like UI... My most favorite features of Windows Phone.

I HOPE MS WILL NOT REMOVE THE PANORAMA FEATURE ON THE UPCOMING WINDOWS 10!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The premise of this thread is bothering me every time I look at it.

"What's holding you from leaving windows phone?"

That presupposes everybody wants to leave and they just have excuses for not doing so. This title in NO WAY applies to me. I have no desire to move to another mobile OS or ecosystem.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I think that the app problem will vanish after windows 10 update , don't you think?

Yes the number of apps will increase after release of Windows 10. Microsoft is offering a free upgrade for those who are on windows 7/8/8.1. Lots of pc's are still running windows 7 and they will surely upgrade as it is free. That will give developers a huge platform. This in turn will benefit the Windows 10 for Phone apps also.

Just a word to those who are talking about the app gap :
Actually android and iphone have tons of apps and most of them are not note worthy. Most of the apps on android and iphone are available on windows mobile today.

After using Samsung galaxy S5 for a year now as an experiment, I can surely say that android is laggy and full of bloatware & malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss