What's holding you from leaving windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I moved from iOS to a Windows Phone (Lumia 920) in Dec 2012. Since then I've had a 1020, a Nexus 5, a OnePlus One, an LG G3 and an iPhone 6. My heart was always with Windows Phone and I really convinced myself of this by using other platforms.

The fluidity of WP is remarkable. Even something as high end as the LG G3 stutters as you scroll in certain apps (like Chrome). I've never seen stutter on WP, even low-end devices. The tiles are the icing on the cake - compared to the static grid of app icons in iOS they are a revelation. I'm now back with WP, having bought a black Lumia 930 a few weeks ago. Can't believe how much the OS has moved on since I last used it. With Denim the camera beats anything else on any other platform. I like Microsoft's roadmap too - Windows 10 looks great.

Apple doesn't seem to be going anywhere - yes they sell loads of iPhones, but they have no vision, being content to make products which sell in very large numbers, They will lurch from one high-volume product to the next. Great for business, but I want more than that.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Whats holding me back? NOTHING. Winphone is the best. I have owned everything else. IPhone/apple products are just fashion accessories, android is OK.....but its very sluggish, even browsing with chrome is not smooth and fluid, and just buggy all around.

With MS/windows, everything I own work as one system. Its great.

MS/windows phone is the best "ecosystem" of all platforms.

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
So much to say and love Windows phone platform,
But what I most like is Cortana.
Man,I literally could not imagine a world without her.
Lets hope MS will bring the best of her in near future(W10).

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
The potential is what is keeping me but I'm not sure MS can move fast enough for the mobile market. Waiting for 10 to put out a flagship, I think is a huge mistake. Exclusivity and how updates are released are other big problems. I have to say that I am tempted to move away from wp. I'm waiting to see how 10 looks like before I make up my mind.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Features keeping me with WP:
-Off contract device pricing
-Unique live tile home screen concept
-Windows Insider Program
-Windows desktop and Live ID integration
-soon to be Office preview (and the Outlook preview which will replace the current mail client)
-OneDrive storage size

The potential of seeing the changes I want via the Insider program has me the most excited.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
How about those of us moving TO the windows phone from Android/iOS? I've been an android user for years (don't care for apple.. never did) but I'm a huge fan of the latest Microsoft OS's. I installed Win98 beta back in the day just to get multiple monitor support... I always install the latest version as soon as it's released. I jumped right in with Windows 8 and actually like the metro screen. Especially with multiple 24" monitors... I've been a Note 2 user for the past two years. Yesterday I couldn't figure out why my email wasn't syncing... People complain about how hard it is to find settings for things in WP... My gosh.. I searched for about 30 minutes in my settings and couldn't find a way to turn back on syncing... I finally did a web search and found someone that said "Go to gmail app, click settings, click sync, a warning will pop up telling you it will turn on sync for all apps.. click yes." YOU HAVE GO TO BE KIDDING ME! It's ridiculous!
Last week my daughter's battery was low in her Lumia 822 and she had to go somewhere so I let her use my phone and I used hers... the Windows OS is a JOY compared to my Note... she even came back and said "Is my phone charged.. I can't stand this thing! (talking about my phone).
I can't wait to get the 1520 and never look back.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Simply put it this way, i would have NEVER had such a big interest in mobile phones if i had gone with a different OS.
I know there are faults, i know that updates are slower than the competition, but thats what makes me root for it more. Also, absolutely nobody uses windows phones, i personally have a soft spot for underdogs.
I love having an OS that nobody else have, i like how its so exclusive, it gets people curious and they ask, "oh you have a windows phone, how is it?"

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
First is the UI, I really loved it.
Then is the camera, still awesome so far.
And finally is, it's still working fine, so why should I replace it with another phone?

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Inexpensive, "good enough" phones readily available on AT&T network, allowing me to utilize numerous inexpensive MVNOs with great coverage. Like the UI much better than the others. Like a good camera without paying too much. Like the easy integration with Outlook.com, OneDrive, OneNote, etc. Not wedded to my phone, so prefer something that is easy to use and just works--don't want to be fiddling with my phone all the time. Plenty of apps for me--don't understand the "app gap" at all. Some people can't live without a particular app? Get a life!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If Apple releases an iPhone with wireless charging (preferably the "universal" kind that works on all existing chargers) and, in my dream fantasy land, ups the resolution a bit (oversampling?), I'm gone.

Kind of holding out hope that the larger iPhones get camera upgrades like that. Ooh, xenon too, while I'm dreaming.

;)

Edit: MS services, ProShot, ginormously full app store = I could live without tiles and AMOLED.

I hate Apple so I won't feel bad to say what I'm going to say: the camera on the iPhone 6, albeit 8mp, is a great camera. It's Sony hardware and Apple puts a lot of time in imaging quality. And as they hired some people from Nokia's ex-PureView Team, I expect the camera on the iPhone 6S to be even better...as much as I hate the idea.

Wireless charging...doubt it. Unless, of course, they can come up with a new proprietary wireless charging that no one else uses and that they can charge you 100 dollars for a charger.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just a word to those who are talking about the app gap :
Actually android and iphone have tons of apps and most of them are not note worthy. Most of the apps on android and iphone are available on windows mobile today

The difference is that even the apps that are available on WP, are way way better on Android and iOS. There's little point in filling the "app gap" if you're filling it with web renders and sub-par of endless "BETA" versions.
As I see it, the app gap on WP is slowly being replaced by a quality-app-gap.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I hate Apple so I won't feel bad to say what I'm going to say: the camera on the iPhone 6, albeit 8mp, is a great camera. It's Sony hardware and Apple puts a lot of time in imaging quality. And as they hired some people from Nokia's ex-PureView Team, I expect the camera on the iPhone 6S to be even better...as much as I hate the idea.

Wireless charging...doubt it. Unless, of course, they can come up with a new proprietary wireless charging that no one else uses and that they can charge you 100 dollars for a charger.

Oh, it's not the quality of the images per se -- it's that "zoom, reinvented", oversampling to a smaller extent, that hold me in. My 928 (so basically equal in resolution) is certainly still capable without oversampling or zoom abilities, and the xenon is glorious in those occasions where it is warranted. My Icon on the other hand, has shown the power of the higher resolution and reframing as well -- pull, shoot, crop later, still have a high quality shot! There are some shots where it is *insane* when you look at the final product versus the original.

Wireless: oh, I'm sure they'll call it something special, and try to sell their own chargers and talk about the "magic" inside that keeps things topped up just so, but once someone throws them on some regular wireless chargers the gig will be up. (Unless the rat finks use some NFC/iBeacon/Bluetooth crap to try and validate chargers before the phone will activate the charging circuit...hmmm)

I really wouldn't expect to see anything until the iPhone 7+.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Why would I want to leave Windows Phone when it has everything I need.

I had an Android device and beyond the initial WOW of the customisation there isn't a lot else going for it and Google Now is a POS when it comes to anything other than web search, iPhones are expensive for what they are and each successive update slows older devices to a crawl in order to force people to upgrade. BlackBerries are about the only other devices that are interesting to me, but they sold their souls to the devil by allowing Android apps to run on BB10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss