Badly rendered websites = dealbreaker

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well...you were used to Chrome or Firefox on Android and then moved to IE on Windows Phone.
It's normal you notice the downgrade in quality. Chrome and Firefox are superior browsers in all platforms they're available.

IE explorer has evolved with time on WP and it's better than it was. But it's still not Chrome or Firefox. However it's worth mentioning that Microsoft is preparing Spartan which will probably replace IE on WP and is supposed to be a far better browser. So, I think we'll see improvements when Windows Phone 10 and Spartan arrive to the rendering of webpages on WP devices.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
the cbc.ca is mostly good, but when going to the news section does give me the same error as you. All other sites render just fine.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
all the websites that have been given as example's of not rendering correctly, render correctly on my 930 running 8.1 update with denim. The only site I had an issue with was cbc.ca but only when I clicked on the news link.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I see this all the time on my Lumia 635 and previously on my 520. I just don't bother with some sites on the phone, but instead view them only on my desktop.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... I've never had problems with Internet Explorer on my Lumia. Can't recall ever seeing it crash (or much of anything on WP - I've actually had more apps crash on iOS and; of course, Android would be the most unstable). Just for gags, I went ahead and loaded up some of the sites I saw mentioned here to see how they worked.

http://engadget.com said:
wp_ss_20150223_0001.jpg
Everything's good here.
http://cbc.ca said:
wp_ss_20150223_0002.jpg
Very simple, but everything seems to work okay.
http://avsforum.com said:
wp_ss_20150223_0003.jpg
Not optimized for mobile viewing, but the desktop site had no rendering problems.
http://hardwareheaven.com said:
wp_ss_20150223_0004.jpg
The ads don't scale properly to the designated area, but everything else is rendering just fine.
http://bikeforums.net said:
wp_ss_20150223_0005.jpg
Again, not optimized for mobile viewing... but for those wanting to try a full desktop site on a small screen it doesn't really seem to have any problems. I'd sooner see if it's something that can be integrated with Tapatalk instead of making my life harder

Not a single instance of that "error" screen... and as someone who creates and manages websites for organizations, I've actually found that IE is handling experimental HTML5 a lot smoother than Chrome on my LG G3 and Safari on my iPhone 6 (which would be reasonably redundant if they are webkit-based like their desktop counterparts).

Santander bank's mobile website is a train-wreck... but it appears they simply didn't code it very well since the desktop version is also a mess. The site looks very... web 1.0, and I'm not surprised at all to find that it doesn't validate... also the locator is way off.

Last edited:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what peoples problems are but due to my insomnia, I just spent the last couple hours browsing the web on my phone. I can happily say that there were no issues loading any web page.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, certain mobile sites do NOT render correctly on IE for WinPhone. As others have mentioned, Spartan browser (when it's rolled out w Win10) should remediate that.

My current solution, use IE in mobile mode, use UC Browser in desktop mode, no switching settings, just bouncing between apps.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The same for me as well.

Is Firefox going to be released for WP?

I will also say that IE is my least favorite web browser whether on a smartphone or a desktop. At work we always recommend using Firefox or Chrome when accessing Blackboard Learn or even our electronic portfolio application. There are less glitches.

I also hope Spartan is better.

​-Rich

the cbc.ca is mostly good, but when going to the news section does give me the same error as you. All other sites render just fine.

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
dont bother. IE mobile is totally crap when it comes to rendering. I love WP but im honest enough to admit that. IF you cant wait till W10 for phones then maybe you should thinkg about a (hope temporary) android revert.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Decided to check out the news tab of cbc.ca to see if maybe I could get any of the issues mentioned here..

wp_ss_20150223_0006.jpg
...as expected, IE rendered it just fine. Also decided to check out some of the other sites i'd missed over
wp_ss_20150223_0007.jpg
wp_ss_20150223_0008.jpg
Fatface worked perfectly, I was able to do an entire pretend shopping spree for my daughter with zero problems.
wp_ss_20150223_0009.jpg
Same deal with the uk Vodafone site. I went through about twenty or so pages there without any rendering issues messing with the browsing experience.

The problem clearly isn't IE... or Windows Phone.

BTW, everyone recommending UC should probably re-read the original post; he established in the very first post that he'd already tried that.

Last edited:

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm wondering if I'm alone in this. I've just made the jump to Windows phone (Nokia Lumia 830 w/ Denim) from android, as I've been looking forward to Win 10. I love the start screen and live tiles, and overall the experience has been good. I don't need a ton of apps, and what is available is sufficient for my needs, BUT..

There are a large number of webpages that don't load correctly when in mobile view. I've gotten blank pages with "error" on the phone, but more often will just get pages that have sections trailing off outside of the viewing area or links that overlap with other links. I can switch to desktop mode which allows me to view the webpages but having to zoom in all the time and have the page re-render is a huge PIA. Forum sites are especially problematic. I've tried just about every browser available. IE, Opera Mini, UC Browser, maxxthon, Surfy; they all run into the same problems. I love the phone but if I can't browse websites properly I'm going to have to revert back to android :(. I really wanted to love this phone and give WP a chance!

Are there any updates coming soon that might address these issues? / is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Yeah, I have similar problems too. Does not matter what web browser you use because they all render using IE Engine! You could wait for W10/Spartan but idk...

IE Mobile is terrible when it comes to rendering, not much worse than IE11 on desktop. Even the ancient webkit browser on Palm Pre loads WPC Forums better than the Lumia 925.

[EDIT]

• HTML editors in places like the WPC forums are a PITA to use.
  • Long lists with photos crash the browser. e.g wallhaven.cc
  • Trailing, render window height/size issue. e.g BlackBoard

A lot of this code is based on standards that many sites take advantage of. Only the most basic websites have no rendering issues.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The same for me as well.

Is Firefox going to be released for WP?

I will also say that IE is my least favorite web browser whether on a smartphone or a desktop. At work we always recommend using Firefox or Chrome when accessing Blackboard Learn or even our electronic portfolio application. There are less glitches.

I also hope Spartan is better.

​-Rich

Yeah, BlackBoard is terrible lol ... Cannot access Instructor resources, etc.
Firefox might be a possibility in W10, but in WP8.1 is pretty much impossible to have Firefox with Gecko. Would be a Firefox-themed Trident browser haha

Benny1434

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree, IE is my least favorite part about WP. I have DP installed, and yes, some webpages do look a lot better now (not rendered in ancient code anymore), but with the addition of some Android and iOS strings, there are the occasional pages that do not load properly. One of the most frustrating is the banking website that I now have to use (dropped WP support). Ok, that's a bull move but whatever I'll use the website. Thing is when I use the website I can't do what I need to do because the important buttons that take me where I need to go cannot be pressed to move to the correct page, annoying. There have been a few other issues with formatting but nothing end of the world. Only other annoyance is, on certain websites, ads that snap the entire page to the very top after everything loads, making reading while all other garbage is loading a pretty frustrating experience.

​Other than the occasional annoying IE issues, I am more than completely satisfied with WP and am loving my 1520. Looking forward to Windows 10 and Spartan.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if you guys have used other platforms recently, but many web pages don't tender right on my iPhone either. So I don't think it will ever be perfect on WP. Although it's much better on 8.1.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo