WP8.1 & Denim update extras+info and access point lost

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Hope you can help. Lumia 820 on O2 UK. I've just updated to WP8.1 and Denim, I think. I say I think because I've lost my extras+info (and my access point). At the end of the update it said that there was a problem with both these. It suggested to uninstall and reinstall them, so I uninstalled them. Then it dawned on me they're apps in settings and maybe I shouldn't have uninstalled them at all. Off I went to the WP GB Store in a bit of a panic and sure enough searching for them returns nothing. What can I do to get these back? Can I roll back to Cyan and start again? Anyone got any ideas? Any input much appreciated. Thanks.

VS729

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
That's a weird problem you've got there jeez.... I'd suggest the safest bet in my opinion. Roll back to cyan using Lumia Software Recovery Tool and then update back to denim properly, offcourse, backup all your data.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. Hope you can help. Lumia 820 on O2 UK. I've just updated to WP8.1 and Denim, I think. I say I think because I've lost my extras+info (and my access point). At the end of the update it said that there was a problem with both these. It suggested to uninstall and reinstall them, so I uninstalled them. Then it dawned on me they're apps in settings and maybe I shouldn't have uninstalled them at all. Off I went to the WP GB Store in a bit of a panic and sure enough searching for them returns nothing. What can I do to get these back? Can I roll back to Cyan and start again? Anyone got any ideas? Any input much appreciated. Thanks.

No need to roll back yet.
First try this app
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=19d44d9e-f18e-4df1-9bce-36335242ed2e

Actual you can not roll back to cyan with the lsrt because now Denim now live.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I seemed to have sussed it on my own though, but pretty weird. So I go on the WP Store GB and search for these apps, but nothing's returned. Looks like I'm stuffed. Sobbing now. First time my 820 has ever let me down, in any way. In desperation I try Google. So I search for "Windows Phone extras+info" and "Windows Phone access point". Both return links, but to the WP Store US site. I click on these and they go to the pages for these apps but on the GB site. How can that be? I searched the GB site for these apps but nothing was returned. Anyway, I click on install for both these apps and I'm told they're already purchased. Really weird. I never purchased them because they were shipped with the phone in the first place. I'm guessing that they're pseudo third party apps that appear in your apps list, not your settings list. Turns out nope, they're the genuine article. Both apps now appear as they should've in my settings list and my phone is as it should be. Spooky ****. Is there a dark Windows Phone Store that we don't know about? Anyone know what's going on here?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear that you got them. I will try to explain so it's not that weird anymore.
- If you not use the exact name of an app in the store search you may indeed not find the app. (actual the store "search" function is very bad).
- Better is it to use a link and that is what you did. But when you pushed the "American" link Microsoft is smart enough to redirect it to your region (setting of your phone) so you end up in the GB store.
This is "easy" because if you would want to buy an app the you want to pay in ? and not in $ and also sometimes apps have regional differences.
- Now you saw that you already "bought" them is actual an indication that you already had installed them earlier so they are "yours". So Microsoft keeps a list which apps you downloaded. This is also "smart" because if you ones really bought an app you always can reinstall it on your phone for free. You even can install the app on a new phone for free , if you use the same Microsoft account on your new phone.

I hope this make it a little more clear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte