I've got a friend who want to use Windows Phone, but wants to stick with Verizon. What phones are currently supported on Verizon's network? He is looking at buying a no-contract phone and registering it on Verizon monthly plan. In our area Verizon really does have the best coverage so thats why he is staying.

So which phones can he pick up?
    03-02-2015 09:58 AM
    Off the top of my head:

Nokia Lumia Icon, 928, 822
    Samsung ATIV SE, Odyssey
    HTC One M8 for Windows

I personally recommend one of the Nokia's or the One.
    03-02-2015 10:05 AM
    So that seems like all the stuff Verizon has carried except the 8x. But we were looking for any others that would also work even if they were released by another carrier. I know that Verizon uses CDMA which makes it tougher, but with just those phones its pretty slim pickings.
    03-02-2015 11:05 AM
    So far as I am aware, Vzw does not allow BYOD (bring your own device).
    03-02-2015 11:18 AM
    So that seems like all the stuff Verizon has carried except the 8x. But we were looking for any others that would also work even if they were released by another carrier. I know that Verizon uses CDMA which makes it tougher, but with just those phones its pretty slim pickings.
    Woops, I forgot the HTC 8X!

ding ding ding!

the only phones that'll work with Verizon are Verizon branded, so you're limited to those above.
    Sprint ones are technically compatible, but one does not simply take a Sprint phone to VZW and vice versa. (not that Sprint's selection is any better)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-02-2015 11:56 AM
    Sprint ones are technically compatible, but one does not simply take a Sprint phone to VZW and vice versa. (not that Sprint's selection is any better)
    A bit off-topic, but..

XDA used to have instructions from clever folks to flash a Verizon rom onto a Sprint Windows Mobile Phone (example - HTC Touch Pro, which Verizon crippled with lower amount of RAM). Ah, those were the days...
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-02-2015 12:05 PM
    A bit off-topic, but..

XDA used to have instructions from clever folks to flash a Verizon rom onto a Sprint Windows Mobile Phone (example - HTC Touch Pro, which Verizon crippled with lower amount of RAM). Ah, those were the days...
    I still remember the webOS days, where probably due to tight budgets, Palm's Pre lineup remained almost identical from the original, to the Plus, to the Pre 2.
    People were swapping around the Sprint Pre's comm board into newer non-Sprint devices called "FrankenPres", cooking up doctors to run the new versions of the OS and still work with the network, etc. (basically webOS's version of ROM flashing was modding the equivalent of Lumia Software Recovery)

I also remember reading some review where the-gadgeteer's main writer, who's name escapes me, took a Sprint Treo 650 to Verizon.
    03-02-2015 12:13 PM
    I still remember the webOS days, where probably due to tight budgets, Palm's Pre lineup remained almost identical from the original, to the Plus, to the Pre 2.
    People were swapping around the Sprint Pre's comm board into newer non-Sprint devices called "FrankenPres", cooking up doctors to run the new versions of the OS and still work with the network, etc. (basically webOS's version of ROM flashing was modding the equivalent of Lumia Software Recovery).

Some of us still are. :)
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-02-2015 12:22 PM
    Of you use it on Verizon Prepaid you can use your own device.
    03-02-2015 12:25 PM
    It has be a Verizon branded Windows phone
    03-02-2015 12:32 PM
    Some of us still are. :)
    My Pre+'s comm board has got a short or some disconnect, so if my friend can't fix it I might try to get a donor or part, maybe switching out for an unlocked GSM board. :)
    03-02-2015 12:38 PM