What's the point of the Files app if it doesn't do anything?

Qaddafi

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I move images from one folder to another on the SD card, you can see it has been moved. I doubled check with a different file manager (Pocket File Manager).

It however doesn't appear in its new destination folder on the photos app. I don't know how to make the app rescan or refresh itself. Everything is the way it was and the new moved files even though there, don't appear. Like it hasn't updated itself. How can I trigger to rescan the SD card?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When I move anything with 'Files' app, I can see that in the destination folder without any changes to the phone. Connecting to PC shows it in new folder. Even if I create a new folder and move some pics to it, same shows in the Pictures hub as well. IMO that File app works good.

Qaddafi

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I had it, but now I'm back to Windows Phone 8.1 because 10 was still buggy. I just don't think it's a reasonable solution, especially after this being an issue since the beginning of Windows Phone. First they lacked a file manager, which everyone wanted and now that they do have it, it more or less is pointless. What's worse is nokia symbian OS, which according to windows is the old OS, did it way better than how it is right now.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had it, but now I'm back to Windows Phone 8.1 because 10 was still buggy. I just don't think it's a reasonable solution, especially after this being an issue since the beginning of Windows Phone. First they lacked a file manager, which everyone wanted and now that they do have it, it more or less is pointless. What's worse is nokia symbian OS, which according to windows is the old OS, did it way better than how it is right now.

I have some things I know were done better back in the day (Palm OS, etc.) that hasn't really been channeled IMO in today's modern OSes.

Something is up with your device I think. Files has served me well, and it even acting as a file picker at times is even better.

Qaddafi

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have some things I know were done better back in the day (Palm OS, etc.) that hasn't really been channeled IMO in today's modern OSes.

Something is up with your device I think. Files has served me well, and it even acting as a file picker at times is even better.

I have owned 3 Nokia Lumia phones: My current 635, the 925, and the 521. I've had the same problem with all of them. If I move one or two files around using the file manager it's okay, but the moment I move things in bulk it gets buggy. It's not like it's just the Photos app that's the problem because I've tried it with other apps too. A few solutions that have worked in the past are a hit or miss for me right now. I used pocket file manager at times to clear "cache" and rebuild the thumbnails, and it's worked before. I can't seem to make it work right now and I don't think I should be required to go out of my way to make a file manager work. I mean it either works or don't offer it. I even have my OneDrive folders re-arranged and the Photos app doesn't update that either. It decides to rescan, re-index, re-update or whatever it's called whenever it feels like it. I'm sure if I restart it enough times I'm sure the phone will get the hint, but again I think that's B/S.

I'm sure Windows 10 will address this since they have a new photos app and a new file explorer but damn the windows experience has been frustrating since the beginning with first no file manager, their crappy sync app not working well and supporting MTP instead of mass storage. Whats worse is i actually like the windows phone and want to commit to it instead of my current phone, but every time I decide to try it out as my main phone one way or another the issue is file management.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lol Symbian could give all today's OSes a beating in file management, yea I understand your frustration, what a coincidence, last night I downloaded a video from one drive and wanted to share it but I couldn't find it in the photos app, then I tried moving it, renaming it, everything, and I cant see it anywhere except the files app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786