Modern apps vs Normal apps

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the current apps developed for Windows 8.1 and Windows phone 8.1 the apps developed truly lacks quality. Apps broken, majority of apps still enjoy beta stage even after a year or two, features are added slowly bit by bit in each update, apps ported from other platforms are hit or miss with features missing, resource hog etc. Don't go mad at me I'm not complaining here or hammering you guys about how bad Windows modern apps are. Sometimes I wonder is it the fault of developers that they are not hard at work or develop apps for windows just because they are told to do so ,treating us like Windows is all bad and burden on developer community. Look at the normal app developed for Windows vs the modern app developed for the same. E.g: Take VLC , they have same app for both but there is a huge difference in app performance, features. Is it due to programming tools available to develop modern apps (Visual studio, Silverlight) lack the ability to deliver the quality?

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Ha Microsoft's own apps are a total mess. They have money, they have work force, what's stopping them? They release APIs and they are the ones who are are not able to utilize it properly. Contrast to it the same apps on Android and iOS are excellent. What now then?

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Actuallly this is a very valid point. Let alone other developers, Microsoft itself is unable to deliver for its own platform. They should be the trendsetters in terms of quality.

Is the OS broken? Are the developer tools broken?

intriguing questions.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Actuallly this is a very valid point. Let alone other developers, Microsoft itself is unable to deliver for its own platform. They should be the trendsetters in terms of quality.

Is the OS broken? Are the developer tools broken?

intriguing questions.

If that was the case, why do we have excellent third party apps?

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If that was the case, why do we have excellent third party apps?

3rd party apps are also no good except a few. What's the use of 3rd party apps if they are not allowed to use the exclusive or newest APIs that are released and there are people who don't trust these 3rd party developers with their privacy.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
3rd party apps are also no good except a few. What's the use of 3rd party apps if they are not allowed to use the exclusive or newest APIs that are released and there are people who don't trust these 3rd party developers with their privacy.

Actually I agree with you. Maps, Gmail, YouTube are apps on Android, that is, not baked in the OS and still they run like the apps baked in the OS. On the contrary, on the super fast OS named Windows Phone, all the apps except the ones baked in the OS, take much more time to open and are sluggish. Third party music players like PowerAmp behave like the built in Music Player on Android, while on Windows Phone these apps need to show a splash screen and usually stutter. I think Windows Phone APIs are crap for third party apps or the OS is huge trash!

Just imagine all the third party apps behaved like built in apps, how better WP would be! For ex. if Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp opened like built in Messaging app, those smooth and fast animations. I hope Windows 10 changes that.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Actually I agree with you. Maps, Gmail, YouTube are apps on Android, that is, not baked in the OS and still they run like the apps baked in the OS. On the contrary, on the super fast OS named Windows Phone, all the apps except the ones baked in the OS, take much more time to open and are sluggish. Third party music players like PowerAmp behave like the built in Music Player on Android, while on Windows Phone these apps need to show a splash screen and usually stutter. I think Windows Phone APIs are crap for third party apps or the OS is huge trash!

Just imagine all the third party apps behaved like built in apps, how better WP would be! For ex. if Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp opened like built in Messaging app, those smooth and fast animations. I hope Windows 10 changes that.
I like how Facebook messenger on Android has those chat heads floating on your screen, whichever page you open those chat heads will be floating and ready to open. I behaves like it was destined to be on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon