Hello. I joined this forum to ask some questions. As the title says I am debating about jumping from android to windows. I am not totally new to the WP, I working at a Verizon dealer a few years ago and used the Nokia 1020 (I believe that is what it was) for a week or so. I liked a lot of the layout, but had some issues with how the contacts were integrated into everything. just making a call from a contact was a lengthy process compared to my Samsung note 2 at the time. I have my eye on the htc m8 and saw the windows version and thought I would look into it more. I see that it has been updated to 8.1, does this update help smooth out some of these issues? I don't really care about the smaller app store, or learning how to use a new ui (that's the fun part right?) Also, being a long time android user does Gmail sync well with the WP? I need to make sure my calendar will since without hiccups, I have a lot of Dr appointments in there to keep plus dates for various business meeting. Thanks in advance.
    03-12-2015 09:19 AM
    If you don't care about apps then WP is best for you. WP8.1 is very mature than WP8 and almost on par with Android or ios feature wise.
    You will be able to sync gmail and google calendar without any hiccups whatsoever. Though I would recommend you to move to Microsoft services as they work much better than Google ones.
    Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.

Oh and Welcome aboard. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    no_android likes this.
    03-12-2015 09:33 AM
    Windows alone (OS) is good, on par with others (Android, iOS) and better in some ways. If you care less about apps, Windows would be best for you. And as what the above have said, there's no problem syncing Gmail and for best syncing, move to Microsoft services (Bing, Outlook).
    03-12-2015 10:02 AM
    I have just changed from iPhone to windows and don't regret it at all. In fact I find I am using my iPad less too as well! Love the keyboard and word flow (I think it's called) really easy to send emails and texts, and take notes using one note or do wee bit of work on word.

I have a low end 535 and it is a great device, does not feel like a low end model at all.
    03-12-2015 11:26 AM
    Used both Android and iOS. Just went from the Lumia 635 to the One M8 for Windows.

Windows 8.1 is a major improvement over previous versions. You can import your google contacts (or add them to your Microsoft account, which is what I'd recommend).

Cortana is the major bonus, you can easily reach the dialer to call someone now, but hold down the search button until Cortana pops up and say "Call...." and it's instantly working. Pair it with a Microsoft Band and you can make calls without even pulling your phone out.

I don't use calendar much, but as far as reminders go, I just set a Cortana reminder for meetings, or you can even do the location ones. Last night I had a bunch of errands to run, one of which was to get cat food. I wanted to run and get dinner for myself first, so just to make sure I wouldn't forget I asked Cortana to remind me to get cat food when I am near Pet Smart. Driving by it later, my phone goes off with the reminder.
    RomilHirani likes this.
    03-12-2015 11:43 AM
    Thanks guys. It is going to be a tough time deciding. I have about a week before I do the actual upgrade.
    03-12-2015 12:15 PM
    Thanks Mike, that's good to know about the Cortana. I use a location based reminder app on my S4. It usually works well, on occasion it will be waaay off on GPS locations. I don't even bother with Svoice, I have had my share of arguments with "galaxy" over spelling, or song/artist names lol. right now I am at 60/40 in favor of the HTC m8 WP. I'll have to figure out a way to export all my s-notes to pdf or something though.
    03-12-2015 12:40 PM
    There are 2 android apps I like to use and I was hoping there was a WP counterpart. 1) ringdroid- make ring tones from .mp3 files on your phone. 2)Zarchiver- for unzipping/creating .zip files. is thereally anything like that?
    03-12-2015 07:24 PM
    There are 2 android apps I like to use and I was hoping there was a WP counterpart. 1) ringdroid- make ring tones from .mp3 files on your phone. 2)Zarchiver- for unzipping/creating .zip files. is thereally anything like that?
    Well I can list three apps, one comes pre-installed on lumias.

Ringtone Maker (Free)
    http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...4-17a64f9142e5

8zip (Paid)
    http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...e-2a28c052c5f8

Archiver (Free)
    http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...7-eec68abba397

And there's two apps for finding free ringtones that are notable. Zedge and Ringtones+
    03-12-2015 07:49 PM

You can easily find these type of apps on WP.
    There is Ringtone Maker for making ringtones.
    8zip, Files & Folders Pro, Aerize Explorer etc. can be used to create zip files.
    So there is no problem whatsoever.
    03-13-2015 01:06 AM
    I jumped from Android to WP8.1. Since I'm still a student and can't afford a really high end phone, I considered WP, for the reason that WP is very efficient and even in a modest specs it won't lag compared to an android counterpart with the same price tag and also apps is not a big issue for me so WP all the way. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    03-17-2015 05:16 AM