The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-20-2015 07:40 AM
50 12
tools
    Note that Microsoft have a Native compilation option for recent Visual Studio versions which accelerate app load time. But developers have to use this to gain the full speed available.
    03-16-2015 02:14 PM
    I have a 920. 1GB RAM, fairly powerful chipset, official Denim and NOT on DP. And have hard resetted as well. Still, if I am chatting on Facebook Messenger and switch to 2-3 basic apps, e.g. Photos, calendar, WhatsApp and return, I always have a resuming screen and 40% times it crashes me taking to Start screen. It was there in Cyan+DP, in Denim, and even after hard reset in Denim.
    sent from my LUMIA 920
    Unpin Cortana live tile
    03-16-2015 02:21 PM
    I have a 920. 1GB RAM, fairly powerful chipset, official Denim and NOT on DP. And have hard resetted as well. Still, if I am chatting on Facebook Messenger and switch to 2-3 basic apps, e.g. Photos, calendar, WhatsApp and return, I always have a resuming screen and 40% times it crashes me taking to Start screen. It was there in Cyan+DP, in Denim, and even after hard reset in Denim.
    sent from my LUMIA 920
    Crashing 40% of the time is not normal. I know that's an exaggeration though...
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-16-2015 02:35 PM
    This is interesting, I've always thought my Android apps were not that refined and laggy. I've had the original Galaxy (Epic branded) and now a S3 and a Lumia 1020. While I like the design of the S3, Android has always seemed like a poor mans iOS to me.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-16-2015 02:50 PM
    Note that Microsoft have a Native compilation option for recent Visual Studio versions which accelerate app load time. But developers have to use this to gain the full speed available.
    That is for desktop app.
    03-16-2015 02:56 PM
    Crashing 40% of the time is not normal. I know that's an exaggeration though...

Actually it's not exaggeration. It crashes more than that. But only Messenger crashes this much. Other apps are fine but show loading and resuming a lot.
    03-16-2015 07:01 PM
    Unpin Cortana live tile

Yes.. No Cortana tile as well..
    03-16-2015 07:01 PM
    That is for desktop app.
    Microsoft are using it on their MSN branded WP apps. You can too.
    03-16-2015 08:21 PM
    Yea, it's pretty sad.

The reason is not because of a lack of power on WP part - but rather developers focus their time and effort to make an app excellent on iOS/Android whereas on WP they just get it up and running, throw it out there, and never touch it again.
    03-16-2015 08:28 PM
    This is interesting, I've always thought my Android apps were not that refined and laggy. I've had the original Galaxy (Epic branded) and now a S3 and a Lumia 1020. While I like the design of the S3, Android has always seemed like a poor mans iOS to me.
    S3 is one of the worst performing androids in this day and age and should not be compared to lumia 1020 as its a classic lagdroid with the bloated version of lagwiz.
    03-17-2015 12:03 AM
    It depends on the app. I've had a really bad run with Tumblr. Slow, painful, and it ate up my data plan faster than anticipated. Frankly, Crunchyroll was little better. It works fast enough, but it is waaaaay outdated.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-17-2015 01:08 AM
    I tested quadcore and 512MB RAM : HTC andorid and L630 with almost the same specification.
    FB is working faster on L630, viber almost the same, but starts faster on android but It has delays if you have big number of background apps.

WP is working more fluid then android. Also on my WP you could have whatsapp, viber, fb, fb messager, skype, badoo and all online but on androdi your phone will work much slower, you will have to remove fb or viber or something else.
    03-17-2015 03:15 AM
    Except this technology is not available for WP. It's currently meaningless for WP. Hope that changes with W10M.
    03-17-2015 04:01 AM
    I can say whatsapp facebook and messenger opens/resumes faster on a moto G 2nd gen than on my lumia 930.

However, it is mostly for the windows phone animation delay (to hide loading) that actually makes almost all the apps load at the same time (at least on 930 which is a beast) and opening/resuming always behaves the same. In android, you may get fast app loading, but then once ram starts to be consumed you get erratic behaviour, like freezes, blank screens, high loading times randomly etc... that's why I hate android, you can pretty much see when android garbage collector is working heavily when your apps freeze to free some memory, this never (or rarely) happens on windows phone.
    03-17-2015 08:08 AM
    I can say whatsapp facebook and messenger opens/resumes faster on a moto G 2nd gen than on my lumia 930.

However, it is mostly for the windows phone animation delay (to hide loading) that actually makes almost all the apps load at the same time (at least on 930 which is a beast) and opening/resuming always behaves the same. In android, you may get fast app loading, but then once ram starts to be consumed you get erratic behaviour, like freezes, blank screens, high loading times randomly etc... that's why I hate android, you can pretty much see when android garbage collector is working heavily when your apps freeze to free some memory, this never (or rarely) happens on windows phone.

Yes.. My 920 is a lot smoother than Moto G2 with Lollipop 5.0.2. And my brother's 730 is even better than my 920. But WhatsApp shows the loading screen for s spilt second always. And I don't know about 730, but I see loading and resuming very often making mulititasking useless. I would love iOS style resume, instant! And also there is a large performance difference between system apps and third party apps on WP which is not there in Android or iOS. Only Mytube and Aerise are that smooth, but still built in apps excel them. This doesn't whappen on other OSes. I don't know why.
    03-17-2015 01:19 PM
    Its probably cause I don't use my 635 much, but I've actually noticed it's smoother than my 1020, which shouldn't be the case. I'll have to reset my 1020 soon, anyways. Guess ill know better than.

Im almost wondering if WP has a "lite" version on these 512MB RAM devices.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 03-18-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    03-18-2015 12:28 PM
    Its probably cause I don't use my 635 much, but I've actually noticed it's smoother than my 1020, which should be the case. I'll have to reset my 1020 soon, anyways. Guess ill know better than.

Im almost wondering if WP has a "lite" version on these 512MB RAM devices.

Or maybe, it is because of the quad core CPU?
    03-18-2015 01:32 PM
    Doubt it. They measure fairly similar in performance tests. Quad core doesn't mean much, really.

Some of these Snapdragon 400 devices boot faster than my 1520, too. It sure seems like there's some OS optimization going on.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-18-2015 02:46 PM
    You probably don't know much about processor architectures? Just like higher MP count doesn't always mean better cameras higher cores also never mean better processors.
    The architecture of SD 400 phones(Cortex A7) is much inferior to Krait so despite being dual core the 10209 CPU is more powrful and even the GPU adreno 305 can at max only match the 225 .
    03-19-2015 08:57 AM
    You probably don't know much about processor architectures? Just like higher MP count doesn't always mean better cameras higher cores also never mean better processors.

The architecture of SD 400 phones(Cortex A7) is much inferior to Krait so despite being dual core the 10209 CPU is more powrful and even the GPU adreno 305 can at max only match the 225 .

Yes.. I know these things. But I think 8.1 is more optimized for those new quad core processors. It's just a conclusion after observing how 730 is smoother than my 920, and how 530 is smoother than the 520.
    03-20-2015 02:13 AM
    Doubt it. They measure fairly similar in performance tests. Quad core doesn't mean much, really.

Some of these Snapdragon 400 devices boot faster than my 1520, too. It sure seems like there's some OS optimization going on.

Agree with you on the optimization part.
    03-20-2015 02:14 AM
    Yes.. I know these things. But I think 8.1 is more optimized for those new quad core processors. It's just a conclusion after observing how 730 is smoother than my 920, and how 530 is smoother than the 520.
    True, optimization could be causing it. But we also don't know how much faster the new internal storage modules or RAM is compared older models so maybe even that could be the reason behind it.
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    03-20-2015 02:21 AM
    True, optimization could be causing it. But we also don't know how much faster the new internal storage modules or RAM is compared older models so maybe even that could be the reason behind it.

RAM on 920 is dual channel as opposed to single channel on 730 or 830.
    03-20-2015 02:23 AM
    I would say yes for the most part. I personally like the OneDrive app on Android than on WP. I like the UI and the layout...
    03-20-2015 02:44 AM
    In my opinion the only thing that really matters is how your most frequently used apps work on different systems. For example WhatsApp was my main messaging app on Android and it still is on WP and I can say it's way slower and it lacks features. And that's with the current version. Back to 2012 and it was a complete disaster, unreliable (like all notifications on Wp back at that time) and basic to say the least. Don't know if it is because of the developers not putting too much effort in an OS with a small market share or because of system's restrictions. I'd say a bit of both but that's not important, the end result is still an inferior experience compared to the competition. The good thing I can say about WP is that after two years and a half my device (920) is still pretty responsive.
    03-20-2015 07:40 AM
50 12