Do apps work better and faster in Android than Windows Phone?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You guys aren't doing a fair comparison. Make sure both phones have the same chipset. So Moto g should be compared to the Lumia 730/735 because they both use a snapdragon 400 with 1gb ram. Or even Lumia 525 vs s3 mini.

I still don't know if that's truly a fair comparison. We all know Microsoft's focus is on Windows 10, and even though the new age of Universal Windows apps isn't coming until then, Microsoft isn't waiting until the fall to push updates out for other platforms. A better comparison would be how does Windows 10 apps stack up against the competition. That we won't know until much later.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a 920. 1GB RAM, fairly powerful chipset, official Denim and NOT on DP. And have hard resetted as well. Still, if I am chatting on Facebook Messenger and switch to 2-3 basic apps, e.g. Photos, calendar, WhatsApp and return, I always have a resuming screen and 40% times it crashes me taking to Start screen. It was there in Cyan+DP, in Denim, and even after hard reset in Denim.
sent from my LUMIA 920

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920. 1GB RAM, fairly powerful chipset, official Denim and NOT on DP. And have hard resetted as well. Still, if I am chatting on Facebook Messenger and switch to 2-3 basic apps, e.g. Photos, calendar, WhatsApp and return, I always have a resuming screen and 40% times it crashes me taking to Start screen. It was there in Cyan+DP, in Denim, and even after hard reset in Denim.
sent from my LUMIA 920
Did you restore after the hard reset?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
So, at first let me clear it here that I'm a very big fan of WP stylish UI and secure ecosystem. But for a short span of time I have shifted from Lumia 525 to Moto E to experience the difference. What I figured out is the apps work much faster in android than in windows. For ex: apps like whatsapp, gaana, bookmyshow, paytm works much better in android. The apps are not just faster, but also provides a good UI. I don't know where the problem is. Plus, Moto E has much bigger battery than Lumia 525. So, my question is, do you also think that majority of apps work much better in android than windows? And is this the reason why wp is struggling in smartphones market?

Any noticeable difference is strictly because of development and not the actual OS.

Niraj Meena

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
sent from my LUMIA 920

Unpin Cortana live tile

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
sent from my LUMIA 920

Crashing 40% of the time is not normal. I know that's an exaggeration though...

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting, I've always thought my Android apps were not that refined and laggy. I've had the original Galaxy (Epic branded) and now a S3 and a Lumia 1020. While I like the design of the S3, Android has always seemed like a poor mans iOS to me.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yea, it's pretty sad.

The reason is not because of a lack of power on WP part - but rather developers focus their time and effort to make an app excellent on iOS/Android whereas on WP they just get it up and running, throw it out there, and never touch it again.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
This is interesting, I've always thought my Android apps were not that refined and laggy. I've had the original Galaxy (Epic branded) and now a S3 and a Lumia 1020. While I like the design of the S3, Android has always seemed like a poor mans iOS to me.
S3 is one of the worst performing androids in this day and age and should not be compared to lumia 1020 as its a classic lagdroid with the bloated version of lagwiz.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the app. I've had a really bad run with Tumblr. Slow, painful, and it ate up my data plan faster than anticipated. Frankly, Crunchyroll was little better. It works fast enough, but it is waaaaay outdated.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I tested quadcore and 512MB RAM : HTC andorid and L630 with almost the same specification.
FB is working faster on L630, viber almost the same, but starts faster on android but It has delays if you have big number of background apps.

WP is working more fluid then android. Also on my WP you could have whatsapp, viber, fb, fb messager, skype, badoo and all online but on androdi your phone will work much slower, you will have to remove fb or viber or something else.

hharry

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I can say whatsapp facebook and messenger opens/resumes faster on a moto G 2nd gen than on my lumia 930.

However, it is mostly for the windows phone animation delay (to hide loading) that actually makes almost all the apps load at the same time (at least on 930 which is a beast) and opening/resuming always behaves the same. In android, you may get fast app loading, but then once ram starts to be consumed you get erratic behaviour, like freezes, blank screens, high loading times randomly etc... that's why I hate android, you can pretty much see when android garbage collector is working heavily when your apps freeze to free some memory, this never (or rarely) happens on windows phone.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I can say whatsapp facebook and messenger opens/resumes faster on a moto G 2nd gen than on my lumia 930.

However, it is mostly for the windows phone animation delay (to hide loading) that actually makes almost all the apps load at the same time (at least on 930 which is a beast) and opening/resuming always behaves the same. In android, you may get fast app loading, but then once ram starts to be consumed you get erratic behaviour, like freezes, blank screens, high loading times randomly etc... that's why I hate android, you can pretty much see when android garbage collector is working heavily when your apps freeze to free some memory, this never (or rarely) happens on windows phone.

Yes.. My 920 is a lot smoother than Moto G2 with Lollipop 5.0.2. And my brother's 730 is even better than my 920. But WhatsApp shows the loading screen for s spilt second always. And I don't know about 730, but I see loading and resuming very often making mulititasking useless. I would love iOS style resume, instant! And also there is a large performance difference between system apps and third party apps on WP which is not there in Android or iOS. Only Mytube and Aerise are that smooth, but still built in apps excel them. This doesn't whappen on other OSes. I don't know why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077