Maps confusion

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm bewildered by combination of Bing Maps and the Nokia Here Maps/Here Drive apps on my new 830.

Initially I deleted both Here apps thinking they were redundant bloatware, then I learned that Bing Maps requires a separate app for voice navigation (a head-scratcher for sure), so I reinstalled Here Drive.

Now I'm wondering if I Here Drive would work better in conjunction with Here Maps as opposed to Bing Maps, or if having a Here Maps account would be helpful.

There are only a few places I would want to save as favorites. The rest of my map use would come from the result of searching for restaurants or stores (either from Cortana or Maps, but preferably the former) and then launching navigation from there.

Can anyone suggest the best workflow or app combo for me?

On a side note, I found a discussion on this forum that claims Nokia is dropping support for Here apps on Windows phone, but since there was a Maps update after a fresh install I'm guessing that hasn't happened yet.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
With regards the dropping of support, HERE (Nokia) have handed development of the WP app to Microsoft as they wanted to create a cross-platform approach. So is Nokia dropping it, the answer is no, it's just the relationship is changing...

As for the Bing/Here maps, I tend to use HERE maps for everything (walking & driving), I use Cortana to look for a place and she'll start HERE Drive for me. Don't think I've had the need to fire-up Bing Maps TBH.

G.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I'll give Here Maps a shot. I decided to create a Here account so I can save some favorite places. Part of my confusion now is that I have favorite places saved in Cortana settings, too, so I guess I'll them in both spots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99