Should I wait (i.e. Lumia 940) or just get a cheap Lumia phone?

ablahblah

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm debating a little bit on whether I should really hold out for Win10 flagship phones or not. I'm using a Lumia 810 right now, way back in the heyday of Snapdragon S4. Screen is cracked, he's been EOL'd since last April (a rather premature EOL by TMobile), runs Lumia Amber :winktongue:, and is definitely due for an upgrade. (I've kept up with Dev Preview though, it hasn't been that bad. Insider is of course, off limits to me.)

I've wondered though, whether I should just grab one of the cheaper Lumia devices that Microsoft has been pushing out. I bought into Windows Phone originally because I wanted a phone that was able to get everyday things done quickly. Email, texting, calling, a little office work, maps, alarms, etc.. If it involved heavylifting, I delegated that to my laptop instead.

What's changed my perspective, though, is getting a small Windows 8.1 tablet (and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse :smile: ). It's taken over a good amount of things that I would usually do on my phone; it's easier to read news on the larger screen, easier to get office tasks done with full Microsoft Office, I can even run a virtual machine for some of my coding homework at university. And the battery life is fantastic thanks to InstantGo and such. The way my day works now, I delegate tasks between a laptop, tablet, and phone. Laptop is heavy lifting (CAD, video editing, gaming), tablet does office work and lazy time (email, word processing, news, small games), and my phone is for communication and fast information (texting/calling, maps, Cortana updates, weather, email updates).

tldr if I have a Win8.1 tablet already, is it possible that a flagship/hero phone isn't even worth?

(for now, I'm pretty dead set on waiting for the Lumia 940 to see what it looks like anyways, but I'm interested in what other people think about this idea. Do phones really need to do everything?)

(right, for the interested, I have a Vivotab Note 8, some logitech tablet keyboard, and a Microsoft Arc mouse. Much lighter than taking around a laptop and it works well for notetaking and Word/Excel use).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The main reason I would buy a flaghship is for camera and hopefully battery life. Having a top end SoC is nice but not really necessary unless you plan to play top end games that require lots of power to play properly. Even then, some would debate about that.

If a top notch camera isn't you thing and you don't plan to play top end games then getting a low or mid range phone would suit you. Possibly the Lumia 640 for example.

The L940 or whatever flagship they come out with probably won't make it's appearance on the market until autumn so if you can't wait that long get something low/mid range and try it out. It may suit your needs just fine.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely pick up a mid range device to tide me over if I was you. The 735 is a great all rounder with solid battery life and an amoled screen that is frankly to die for. Alternatively get a 640 when its released which has very similar specs and a slightly larger screen (lcd if that's your preference). You can always cash in when the flagship finally arrives. I have half a dozen handsets in the go and I use the 735 at least 40% of the time...just because of the gorgeous screen (and the fact I like the cyan casing).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa