What's the best character set for Spanish? Reduced, full or optimized for trick?

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Network+ give me these 3 options
Now is set in Reduced, and I can only use 70 characeter per sms...
Before with windows phone 7 there was an option called "optimized for spanish" but now that don't exist...

what's the difference between reduced, full and optimized for trick?

Last edited:

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Before with windows phone 7 there was an option called "optimized for spanish" but now that don't exist...

Reduced is good for short conversations,optimized for normal and full for large conversations as in all spanish characters

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I think you meant "Optimized for Turkish"?

The SMS character length is determined by the bit length of the characters that are typed in it. Based on international standards, a single SMS can contain 160 7-bit characters, 140 8-bit characters or 70 16-bit characters... each for a total of 1120 bytes. Certain languages have characters that are encoded in 16-bit UCS-2 format, hence the 70-character limit.

Quoted from the phone, "The reduced set replaces special characters with standard ones, reducing the length of your SMS." Certain characters (like special characters such as those with diacritical marks) are usually 16-bits in length, making the SMS longer*. This means that if you type in special characters (such those with diacritical marks) under the "Reduced Set", they will be replaced by their equivalent without the diacritical marks effectively making the SMS shorter*. If you use the "Full" set, they will not be replaced by their "simple" equivalents and will make your SMS longer*.

There has been mixed findings about the effect of changing the character set on the SMS character count per message. Some say that setting it to "Reduced" makes their phone go from 70 - 160, while others say just the opposite! In my own testing, changing from "Full" to "Reduced" changed my character count (of a test message with random letters and special characters) from 142 in page 3 to 141/160 (decreased SMS size). It all depends on the language and the character encoding used for it.

*- in terms of size in bytes, not in character count. Larger may mean more SMS "pages" even if the character count has not increased.

P.S.
The exact same question has been posted a few days ago in this link in a different website.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
It's the same But a little different here.Hinglish for texting and WhatsApp,Hindi if you want to use the script and indian English for anything else

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel