Why do my tiles occasionally become like this?

alinauman97

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! I have a Lumia 520 running the Denim firmware. For sometime now, I've been noticing some of my Live Tiles become as shown in the screenshots. Can anyone tell what causes this? I'm referring to the Messenger tile in the first screenshot and the News tile in the second one.

1.png2.png

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone! I have a Lumia 520 running the Denim firmware. For sometime now, I've been noticing some of my Live Tiles becoming like this? Can anyone tell what causes this? I'm referring to the Messenger tile in the first screenshot and the News tile in the second one.

View attachment 101321View attachment 101322

For the Messenger App in the first screenshot, this occasionally happens as well for other apps (not only chat apps). It's possible that the app is either currently being updated or is currently being backed-up under your Microsoft Account. As such, it is completely normal and should be operational within a few moments.

As for the News app (is this the one from Microsoft?) in the second screenshot, it could be in the process of updating the background image (if enabled).

alinauman97

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Neither of the apps were updating at that moment, yet they become temporarily inaccessible from both the Start screen and the apps list. And as for the latter's tile, this doesn't happen everytime it updates.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Neither of the apps were updating at that moment, yet they become temporarily inaccessible from both the Start screen and the apps list. And as for the latter's tile, this doesn't happen everytime it updates.

Then it's the backup that was most probably the culprit. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to determine which apps are being backed up*, aside from that side effect.

*- Backup of some app settings and configurations, but not of the entire app.

Mngotu

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem after upgrading to Lumia denim on my Lumia 925. I uninstalled the apps and reinstalled them from my 'app history' in the app store. It works fine now.

morpheus9

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Even I have had problems accessing my apps from the live tile. Many times it has happened that I have tapped multiple times but the app doesn't open but the tile just enlarges when you tap and then goes back to its original size.
When this happens, I usually lock my phone, unlock it and it opens after I press it. Could be some glitch in the code.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Are the apps in question stored on an SD card?

I thought that it might have something to do with the SD Card at first but then it started doing it with ones in Phone Storage as well.

What I find interesting though is that it only seems to be Facebook Messenger that does this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers