Hi, My Windows Phone will connect to open WI-FI networks when out and about........at home it only connects to one open network, which is fine, can anyone tell me why my LAPTOP, which is also running Windows 8.1, wont connect to the same open network ?......I have them side by side at the moment.......phone is connected......laptop won't connect...... WI-FI is turned ON..........is there any way to solve this ?..............Del.
    04-06-2015 09:00 AM
    I have a few troubleshooting steps:

Can your laptop see that particular network? If so, what error do you get when you try to connect? Is it possible that the router is configured for MAC based filtering and only your phone is configured into it?

If you can't see the network in your laptop, is it possible that the router has a 5GHz WiFi (2.4GHz turned off or something) and your laptop doesn't?

Lastly, can your laptop connect to other networks?

Hope this helps.
    04-06-2015 10:48 AM
    The laptop can see the open network.......plus quite a few secured one's.......when I try to connect to it it just says ''unable to connect to this network''.......I have to say that the signal strength on the phone is quite week for that particular network, but it picks it up and the laptop won't.......regarding the router, I don't have one......I connect via a ''dongle''......could that be the reason ?........Del.
    04-06-2015 11:45 AM