Internet Explorer on Windows Phone is terrible.

tptp12

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone noticed how awful the browser experience is on windows phone? It is even worse than internet explorer is on windows! I admit I own a nokia 820 which isn't the fastest phone around anymore, but it certainly should be decent. Comparing to 2 year old iPhones and Android phones, you can clearly see it struggles to load pages. And going backwards on webpages it loads everything again at the same slow pace. I almost don't see the point of having 4G!

Even on WiFi, it takes 5-10 seconds to load a mobile webpage. On certain heavier duty websites, it faulters and seems unable to even load the page, the loading bar just hangs on near complete for seeming eternity. I had this issue before on wp 8, which seemed to much improve when I uninstalled skype for some reason. Now there is no obvious solution. And to top it all off, there is no decent alternative in the store, just lots of half assed attempts.

Before you say it, I am running denim official update after factory resetting the phone. And yes I realise developers mostly optimise for iPhones and Android. I thought they were supposed to optimise the browser in this update, but it seems to have made compatibility even worse! Is this a bug, or is this really because belfiore and co need to pull their fingers out and yet again deliver on what they promise.

btw does anyone know if the browser on wp 10 is any better? Also is the browser better on newer phones, because there's no point buying a faster phone if the software is the issue.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Which device do you have?
I really don't know why there are so many complain threads about IE on WP. I never had any issues like this, webpages load up just fine...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone noticed how awful the browser experience is on windows phone?

Nope, cant say I have. Works for all the sites I visit and apart from the stupid android spoofing which leads sites to try and install malware its pretty much been problem free.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I hear you slamming the phone for faults. I don't hear you questioning your carrier, coverage, or your Wi Fi and its potential problems. I'd also like to mention that 4G is the marketing term for HSPA+ (better known as 3.5G) if my memory serves right. So 5-10 seconds for a webpage to load is about average on 4G.

I don't know much about the 820, but memory management in terms of slow downs comes up on any phone with less than 1GB.

My last suggestion is if indeed your 820 is a 512MB device, you will choke up your phones speed of you dont close out apps running in the background. Hope this helps.

EDIT-Look up "Network Speed Test" and "Field Medic", both by MS, and install them. The first will test your WiFi and cell speeds, the second does on device diagnostics.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd also like to go on record here and say if you're this frustrated with a stable release and unable to really sort out the problem, then I strongly suggest you stay FAAAAAAAAR away from Win 10. Nothing about it right now will improve your device.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I've experienced the same with my 920, which has the same internals.

What websites perform poorly? Maybe I can try those, since IE should be the same between our devices.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
EDIT-Look up "Network Speed Test" and "Field Medic", both by MS, and install them. The first will test your WiFi and cell speeds, the second does on device diagnostics.

I downloaded the Field Medic app and created some reports. Do you recommend anything in particular to read the ETLs and other files? From what I read you can use Log Parser or WPA, just wondered what you use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss