Surrounded by Idiots

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know where to put this. Was wandering thru the "tech" section at Target while waiting on the better half. Overhear this conversation about phones:

Customer: "I'm really interested in that Windows phone."

Target Drone: "Ummm, do you know XP, its just like that."

Sigh.

Not. Even. Worth. Trying. I would have eventually been thrown out of the store.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
There's just no overcoming that level of sheer ignorance, idiocy, or hostility. I hope Jobs is happy, wherever he's at, with his company's contribution to the lowering of society's collective IQ.

Yes, Target drone was pushing an iPhone. You can certainly buy/sell one of those on its own merits without proving the old adage "Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got sort of a similar story. My grandmother's boyfriend needs a new phone as he's still on an old flip phone. I recommended that he get a Lumia 635 GoPhone since it's a cheap, quality phone that's easy to use. They went to Best Buy (they're in Florida, I wasn't there. I live in Massachusetts) and my grandmother said the salesman there didn't like Windows Phone and went on to say how bad and confusing/hard to use it is and how he would recommend getting an Samsung GS6. A couple problems with that:

1. Saying that Windows Phone is complicated (no) and saying that Android is simpler is just nuts. My grandmother owned two Android phones before the 822 she has now and she was luckily smart enough to know that right off the bat from her own experiences. I could get if maybe he wanted to push them towards iPhone for simplicity, but Android...c'mon! Windows Phone is very simple to use anyway, and those big tiles are easy for the old folks!

2. Not only was the salesman being stupid, but ignorant and not even noticing the customer's needs. Do you honestly think recommending a $600~ GS6 would be suitable for someone who is looking to buy a $50 no contract phone? Phone salesmen don't care about the needs of the actual consumer in a lot of cases which is frustrating.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've got sort of a similar story. My grandmother's boyfriend needs a new phone as he's still on an old flip phone. I recommended that he get a Lumia 635 GoPhone since it's a cheap, quality phone that's easy to use. They went to Best Buy (they're in Florida, I wasn't there. I live in Massachusetts) and my grandmother said the salesman there didn't like Windows Phone and went on to say how bad and confusing/hard to use it is and how he would recommend getting an Samsung GS6. A couple problems with that:

1. Saying that Windows Phone is complicated (no) and saying that Android is simpler is just nuts. My grandmother owned two Android phones before the 822 she has now and she was luckily smart enough to know that right off the bat from her own experiences. I could get if maybe he wanted to push them towards iPhone for simplicity, but Android...c'mon! Windows Phone is very simple to use anyway, and those big tiles are easy for the old folks!

2. Not only was the salesman being stupid, but ignorant and not even noticing the customer's needs. Do you honestly think recommending a $600~ GS6 would be suitable for someone who is looking to buy a $50 no contract phone? Phone salesmen don't care about the needs of the actual consumer in a lot of cases which is frustrating.
That salesman obviously just tried to sell what would get him the most commission.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That salesman obviously just tried to sell what would get him the most commission.

That's what most salespeople do though and is the exact reason why I buy all my phones SIM Free now. No pushy salespeople trying to get me to buy what THEY want me to buy.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Meh that's how all the salesmen are in the mobile industry/telecom. You basically ask for X features and they give you Y phone that does have X features but is much more expensive than the X phone that also has the features. How do you think they sold so many iPhone? HEY HOOOOOO

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
That's sad situation, but what can Microsoft do to improve this situation. I am tired experiencing this in my locality and feel helpless to do anything. I have seen them keeping rather damaged or non functional/non-updated lumias just to discourage people from buying one.
Although I bought my first smart-phone online, it was a showroom, where a pink lumia was sitting pretty with other sets caught my eye(wp7 that time), If it was ill placed, or hidden, I would have purchased a droid later because at that point I had no idea there was a OS other than droid. Still remember that feeling.
Something should be done regarding this ISSue.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It gets worse if you ask about a BlackBerry. That aside, it's annoying how they let their opinions affect someone else's needs. It's not like they're the ones who's gonna use the phone, it's for the customer.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
There's just no overcoming that level of sheer ignorance, idiocy, or hostility. I hope Jobs is happy, wherever he's at, with his company's contribution to the lowering of society's collective IQ.

Yes, Target drone was pushing an iPhone. You can certainly buy/sell one of those on its own merits without proving the old adage "Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

lmao. expoze these fraudulent heffas.

But in all seriousness, I agree with you. The people selling the phones give WP a bad name.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
To the OP.. You should've stepped in and schooled that person!!! Heheh nah I get your standpoint as well.

Except for the fact that a salesman gets a commission for selling a certain brand, some people are just afraid of change and the WP OS is a big change from the android OS. Sure, we see it as being easy, but that didn't happen within 5 minutes. We had to get used to the way things work, before we could say this is a piece of cake.

I can imagine that a lifelong (full time) Android user would have issues when explaining our OS to another newbie. On the other hand, if you work in a tech store then you should be up to date, I guess

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I must be living a charmed life or I have "don't mess with me" tattooed on my forehead. When I went to the AT&T store near my office (Miami, Fl.) to get my 1520, the clerk was like "Oh wow! That has such a nice camera". I figured okay, she has some clue about the Nokias but she never tried to talk me out of it. When I went to the store near my house to get my Passport, the clerk there deadpanned "Is it nice?" I felt like the AFLAC duck after being with Yogi Berra.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Scenario:
A middle-aged guy strolling with his girlfriend in a mall after work.
Guy stops in front of the window of a device and gadget store, just to have a quick glance on what phones are displayed.
Guy notes that the L1020 and the L1520 are no longer displayed and sighs, then moves over to the "other" brands.
Salesman sees guy; Guy notices Salesman's head rotation and neck-elongation.
Salesman prepares his arsenal of fliers and pamphlets and walks towards Guy.
Guy takes his matte black L1020 out of his pocket and pulls the notification center down.
Salesman sees the enigmatic device in Guy's hands, pauses... and steps back.
Guy and girlfriend continue walking, decide to eat in Pancake House.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Not sure that is how it works unless they are told specifically to move certain phones. The commission rate for any smartphone is the same because they get paid based on the contract signed. Mobile share plans vs 2 year contracts. Doesn't matter the phone for the carrier.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure that is how it works unless they are told specifically to move certain phones. The commission rate for any smartphone is the same because they get paid based on the contract signed. Mobile share plans vs 2 year contracts. Doesn't matter the phone for the carrier.
I thought with the Mobile Share plans they'd want to sell higher priced devices.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Makes sense. But reports are that WPs have a higher return rate, at least at carrier stores. I don't know if it's true or not. I've never seen any concrete evidence either way.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought with the Mobile Share plans they'd want to sell higher priced devices.

Don't know how the mobile phone business is but when I managed for Goodyear (this was the 80s) the commission schedule was not as cut and dry. The cheaper tires usually carried bigger spiffs because the margins were much higher. The same applied to parts. Shocks and struts were the paycheck-makers along with wiper blades. Big brake jobs and big tune-up jobs were not kind to the house.

As greedy as Apple is, I'm sure they command the highest margins but they sell themselves. I would assume you're correct about plans since services are usually zero-cost line items on a P&L sheet. Just a guess so I'd like to hear from a management level member.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense. But reports are that WPs have a higher return rate, at least at carrier stores. I don't know if it's true or not. I've never seen any concrete evidence either way.

Nor have I. I suppose it does happen but according to my son, all phones come back specifically, GS4 and GS5. Most saying, too complicated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs