Surrounded by Idiots

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Carriers want the contract. They will allow you to finance any phone over time but what they truly want is the contract.
I wonder how many customers are still taking traditional two-year contracts rather than Next or Jump plans.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how many customers are still taking traditional two-year contracts rather than Next or Jump plans.

People still do because they want to keep "unlimited" data. My son told me of a guy who has two accounts. One mobile share and the other a two year, now month to month because he didn't want to give up unlimited data. His monthly bill. 700 plus a month for 7 lines of service.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am, though my two-year contract already expired eight years ago:cool:

Mine expired 5 years ago, and then in November 2014 I renewed another one. There's no way I'm giving up my Verizon unlimited data, at least not until I'm forced to! Now I'm under contract until November 2016; exactly what I want.

People still do because they want to keep "unlimited" data.

See above. :wink: I have 3 days left in this month and I'm at 71 GB used.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've not been under phone contract since I overpaid for service and a Samsung Android handset featuring cupcake way back whenever...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Last Friday my wife and I visited the Minneapolis Skyway Verizon store to check out just exactly what Windows phone they had on display. My wife had dropped and cracked her red HTC 8X and our 2 year contracts were up for renewal 6 months ago. (We're waiting for the WP Flagship). They had the Icon, Samsung Ativ, and the HTC One M8. All in working order, at the back of the store on the backside of a display. The salesman wanted to show us the HTC One M9 which he had handy on the adjacent forward facing display. We told him we didn't want to look at any google phones. Long story short, Verizon will decrease our monthly bill by $30.00 since we are off contract. We bought a new, never used, red HTC 8X on Ebay for $120. This will work until the new Flagship(s).

Lesson learned: ask to reduce your bill after your contract is done.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
People still do because they want to keep "unlimited" data. My son told me of a guy who has two accounts. One mobile share and the other a two year, now month to month because he didn't want to give up unlimited data. His monthly bill. 700 plus a month for 7 lines of service.
I had a so-called unlimited data plan. I ditched it for 30 GB shared plan with one other device. It's cheaper than the old plan, which got throttled after >5 GB anyway.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a so-called unlimited data plan. I ditched it for 30 GB shared plan with one other device. It's cheaper than the old plan, which got throttled after >5 GB anyway.

Yes, I've heard people complain about AT&T's "unlimited" before. Verizon's unlimited data is not throttled due to their agreement with the FCC. I've never used more than 80GB or so in a month, but some people used hundreds of GBs regularly, even 1TB or more. I doubt Verizon likes it, but there's not much they can do about it.

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Didn't know where to put this. Was wandering thru the "tech" section at Target while waiting on the better half. Overhear this conversation about phones:

Customer: "I'm really interested in that Windows phone."

Target Drone: "Ummm, do you know XP, its just like that."

Sigh.

Not. Even. Worth. Trying. I would have eventually been thrown out of the store.

As someone who works at Target myself, I can confirm this. There is definitely a bias against Windows Phones because they come prepaid with T-Mobile or some other carrier that the phone salesman isn't selling. They're there to sell their Verizon or whatever Android devices like from Samsung, HTC and LG.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to buy a sim only a while back and Vodafone (the sales agent) Ireland said that I couldnt only if I bought a prepay phone or a bill pay phone so I pulled out my existing phone and rang Vodafone customer care in the store in front of him and asked the agent on the phone "can I just purchase a sim" and the agent said I could, after which the agent on the phone requested the agent at the stores name. All happened over loud speaker I know the agent at the store would of gotten into trouble but he was trying to upsell me. I've worked in a firm that most of its customers are gotten by upselling so like I have no sympathy.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure that is how it works unless they are told specifically to move certain phones. The commission rate for any smartphone is the same because they get paid based on the contract signed. Mobile share plans vs 2 year contracts. Doesn't matter the phone for the carrier.

Having worked in retail for several years I can tell you that is exactly what happens. They usually use those tactics to upsell you to something more expensive.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've got sort of a similar story. My grandmother's boyfriend needs a new phone as he's still on an old flip phone. I recommended that he get a Lumia 635 GoPhone since it's a cheap, quality phone that's easy to use. They went to Best Buy (they're in Florida, I wasn't there. I live in Massachusetts) and my grandmother said the salesman there didn't like Windows Phone and went on to say how bad and confusing/hard to use it is and how he would recommend getting an Samsung GS6. A couple problems with that:

1. Saying that Windows Phone is complicated (no) and saying that Android is simpler is just nuts. My grandmother owned two Android phones before the 822 she has now and she was luckily smart enough to know that right off the bat from her own experiences. I could get if maybe he wanted to push them towards iPhone for simplicity, but Android...c'mon! Windows Phone is very simple to use anyway, and those big tiles are easy for the old folks!

2. Not only was the salesman being stupid, but ignorant and not even noticing the customer's needs. Do you honestly think recommending a $600~ GS6 would be suitable for someone who is looking to buy a $50 no contract phone? Phone salesmen don't care about the needs of the actual consumer in a lot of cases which is frustrating.

in reference to simplicity, mom is 56 now
"I bought one for my mom. Before giving it to her I dumbed it down. Removed everything on the start screen. Replaced it with 5 tiles of the family members faces she keeps in contact with. uninstalled all the other crap. no learning curve. one big *** tile for her music (which I organized into play lists because it's mom) and one for email. She is rocking and rolling with a simplistic start screen (hot pink with live tiles turned OFF they look intimidating at first to non-tech savvy folks). Prob solved. There is nothing else as simplistic or approachable as windows phone once it has been customized. There is nothing with that much user customization available either for that matter. OH! and MOM LOVES CORTANA, Mom goes "Cortana, remind me tomorrow to drop off holiday cards next time I see Drae" Cortana responds, the reminder is set. she gets an alarm. never had to navigate through calendar menus."

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
You know, I would love to see someone who works as a phone salesman to share his/her point of view on the matter. I'm definitely curious as to why most of them ignore Windows Phone, is it because of a lower commission?

I only have a small idea on how it works. I had an old co-worker who used to work at a store that sold phones. The idea is that depending on the carrier he gets a higher commission for the device he sells. For example if he were to sell an iPhone with Bell he would receive 45$, however with Rogers he would get 75$ for the same iPhone model.

But yeah still interesting in knowing more the mind of a phone salesman.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
in reference to simplicity, mom is 56 now
"I bought one for my mom. Before giving it to her I dumbed it down. Removed everything on the start screen. Replaced it with 5 tiles of the family members faces she keeps in contact with. uninstalled all the other crap. no learning curve. one big *** tile for her music (which I organized into play lists because it's mom) and one for email. She is rocking and rolling with a simplistic start screen (hot pink with live tiles turned OFF they look intimidating at first to non-tech savvy folks). Prob solved. There is nothing else as simplistic or approachable as windows phone once it has been customized. There is nothing with that much user customization available either for that matter. OH! and MOM LOVES CORTANA, Mom goes "Cortana, remind me tomorrow to drop off holiday cards next time I see Drae" Cortana responds, the reminder is set. she gets an alarm. never had to navigate through calendar menus."

You, are Amazing. Such a nice thing you did for your Mom.

Your story should be told, over and over. It should be published to show what can be done with Windows Phone to customize for an individual. Big tiles, large text, easy to see. Customized start screen, just right for your Mom.

Could you please take a screen shot and upload it for us to see.

Thank you for sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6