Get back to local login?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have always just used a local login password for my qin8.1 phone.

I normally don't have any apps that require a msoft account login but I wanted to update OneNote and it asked for a msoft account so I obliged. Now that it is updated, I'd like to drop out of the msoft account and go back to just a local login.

How do I do that?

Thanks

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have always just used a local login password for my qin8.1 phone.

I normally don't have any apps that require a msoft account login but I wanted to update OneNote and it asked for a msoft account so I obliged. Now that it is updated, I'd like to drop out of the msoft account and go back to just a local login.

How do I do that?

Thanks

But you need a MSFT account to even start the phone from new or a hard reset.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is an option to skip that part of the setup, but you can't even use the store without a Microsoft Account. I'm not sure how much function you give up that way.

@PiggyMiddle. There is no way I know of to remove a Microsoft Account once logged in short of a hard reset. Perhaps we could help you better if we understood what you are trying to avoid by not having a Microsoft Account? What does having the Account do that you don't like?

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
having an MS account means that your contacts an IE explorer bookmarks are copied to somewere in the cloud. I think he fears loosing privacy that way. I think there is no other way to stop the phone exchanging data to the cloud?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
having an MS account means that your contacts an IE explorer bookmarks are copied to somewere in the cloud. I think he fears loosing privacy that way. I think there is no other way to stop the phone exchanging data to the cloud?

Just turn it all off in Sync My Settings, Backup & Accounts.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, EndOfRope is close to the issue. I use the phone as a phone except on the rare occasions where I will connect to my home wifi and use IE.
Living out in the boonies we have no choice for local ISP and the speeds are abysmal most of the time. Uploading to the cloud or wherever can hog wifi-process time and make the phone useless for minutes at a time. Often a speed test will show an upload speed of 0.1mb/s. I have no store apps and have uninstalled everything that can be uninstalled in the Settings.

I already have Sync turned off and everything else I can think of, but I still get these lags. I know it is the phone as I can use Wireshark to monitor network traffic and sometimes there are thirty or more concurrent requests happening form the phone.

IF I hard boot the phone, delete every app that I can and only use local login to the phone it is always good. As soon as I log into the msoft account, things go downhill fast.

I'd like to leave the msoft account on but the trade off is just too annoying. I would like to be able to log off the msoft account when I have done with an install or whatever. Unfortunately msoft programmers don't think about the big picture, they just assume everyone has 15M data available. SUCKS!

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
When you did your sniffing did you notice what the phone was talking to, and on what ports? Just wondering.

Nope, I copied down the IP addresses and blocked them in my dd-wrt router, but I didn't keep any records of the ports etc. That was quite some time back when I last used the msoft login (two phones ago) so IPs no longer blocked in the router:) All on win8.1 though, a 930 (returned) and an 830 (sold) current phone is a Blu Jr (like the smaller size and weight) and do not want to use the msoft login for that unless I really have to.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Piggy & Jsoo,

I've thought a lot about your issues. Now, I'm sure you've tried disabling Wi-Fi, Cell Data, etc., to rid you of the syncing process. You both want your Wi-Fi access, but without background tasks, yes? You've 2 options, as I see it. In Accounts, for the one(s) in question (MS?), scroll to 'Server' and put like a '1' at the beginning of the URL field and cancel contact sync in all the accounts. The phone can't connect to the correct server, so it can't sync, connect or update the cloud data. However, it could also flood your home set up with sync requests that go nowhere. I don't know.

Go through every app through Battery Sense and disable background tasks for EVERYTHING, including what I outlines above.

I wish you luck with your Blue Sky internet.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
scroll to 'Server' and put like a '1'

I'll see if my old 520 will crank up long enough to try that on, I have not yet connected to the online account with this latest phone and will not until I can find a way to back out of it later.

Go through every app through Battery Sense and disable background tasks for EVERYTHING, including what I outlines above.

Ahead of you on that one, that's one of the first things I do with any new phone. :)

Same for "Let websites store files..." which msoft kindly (for them) always has the default set to Yes.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Piggy & Jsoo,

I've thought a lot about your issues. Now, I'm sure you've tried disabling Wi-Fi, Cell Data, etc., to rid you of the syncing process. You both want your Wi-Fi access, but without background tasks, yes? You've 2 options, as I see it. In Accounts, for the one(s) in question (MS?), scroll to 'Server' and put like a '1' at the beginning of the URL field and cancel contact sync in all the accounts. The phone can't connect to the correct server, so it can't sync, connect or update the cloud data. However, it could also flood your home set up with sync requests that go nowhere. I don't know.

I wish you luck with your Blue Sky internet.

I hardly ever use Wi-Fi, only when I'm forced to by the app store because something is too big to download. You can't really turn off cell data otherwise you won't be able to do anything other than talk and text.

I disabled all background tasks that can be disabled in Battery Saver long ago. I still get contacts and calendar syncing though.

The server field is blu406-m.homail.com, but the weird thing is that for some time my phone has been saying it can't connect to it, but the account still works. I don't see a place to disable contact sync, just email sync.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I copied down the IP addresses and blocked them in my dd-wrt router, but I didn't keep any records of the ports etc. That was quite some time back when I last used the msoft login (two phones ago) so IPs no longer blocked in the router:) All on win8.1 though, a 930 (returned) and an 830 (sold) current phone is a Blu Jr (like the smaller size and weight) and do not want to use the msoft login for that unless I really have to.

Ok, thanks. It would be interesting to sniff the cellular side too, but I don't have a way to do that. Most of the content is probably encrypted anyway, but I'd like to see the endpoints. I think some stuff goes over cellular only even if you are connected on Wi-Fi, so you can't get a full picture just sniffing Ethernet. I often see the little data arrow active, but I have no idea what it's talking to, or what it is sending/receiving.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I think some stuff goes over cellular only even if you are connected on Wi-Fi

:) Not mine, I don't have data included in the package, just talk and text. I only need the basic phone but I like to have some apps like a wifi file manager etc as I have Qi charging and never need to plug it in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise