Porting Apps: Input needed on what you'd like to see

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks James. I'm actually familiar with the ecosystem from a coding perspective. The most frustrating part for me was the SDK system if you want to build from 7.5 to 10.
I would ignore 7 and just code for WP8.1 and later. Support the future rather than the obsolete.
So which apps are you bringing over first?

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I would ignore 7 and just code for WP8.1 and later. Support the future rather than the obsolete.
So which apps are you bringing over first?

Good question... I'm thinking I'll create the network app requested above first. And I have a half dozen games I can bring over with minimal effort (I'm a 3D software developer by trade).

I have some apps like Secure AV, Secure Notes, Secure Browser and Text Edit/HTML Editor that have done well but might not be as good of a fit on WP. Right now, based on what I've read above, I might do better to build a new line of apps from scratch focused on utilities. I think once I browse the app market I'll have a better idea of what to make. But the threads helped me focus quite a bit on a niche.

For 7.5 and 8 I have devices, I don't really have an 8.1 device yet. So I'd have to rely on the simulator for that one. But going only 8.1+ would be so much easier

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There's no demand for antivirus on WP cuz there's no virus... yet haha
For third party browser, it's really disappointing because like apple, Microsoft requires that you use the IE backend. (need confirmation)
Notepad++ for phone could be popular among other developers.
You can get a Lumia 635 for like $50 if you're in the USA. WP is famous for affordability

Also, have you look at making apps for the Microsoft Band? :D the SDK just came out

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
True! There are four or five developers in my circle that are starting to push in this direction :) it's certainly an attractive platform to get onto.

I'm looking forward to some powerhouse phones and saw a few on the roadmap coming up. (powerhouse: quad core, 3->4gb ram, high res - something to challenge my passport :D). Once I start using it regularly then it becomes much easier to work on!

Roadmap, I assume you mean at Build? I hope so!

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Roadmap, I assume you mean at Build? I hope so!

No such luck, I haven't been to a Microsoft development event (yet) but if they are anything like the BlackBerry ones it should be a ton of fun.

I was able to finally build and test two games on my lumia running 8.1 last night. But they were both quite sluggish. I'll have to make some tweaks to get them playable.

But one step closer :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ kind of late, but any chance you also maintain iOS versions of your apps?
If you do, it would be preferable to use them as your starting point.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Here are my answers:

1. I'm having a look at your apps now but it might also be good to have a quick look at Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom) to see if there are any gaps that you might be able to fill (that's the store I see in a web browser so yours might be different).

2. Apps and games, both are good. Any apps I download would have to be useful to me, games would have to keep me engaged.

3. Either are good but there is a third option which is free with ads and an IAP to remove them, that seems to be popular as well.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
^ kind of late, but any chance you also maintain iOS versions of your apps?
If you do, it would be preferable to use them as your starting point.

Negative. I reject iOS like an evil step mother in a Disney film.

... in actual fact it's because I don't have any Mac hardware anymore. I built one app for it, it sold miserably, and I've been paying my iOS development fees using BlackBerry app sales ever since.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Here are my answers:

1. I'm having a look at your apps now but it might also be good to have a quick look at Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom) to see if there are any gaps that you might be able to fill (that's the store I see in a web browser so yours might be different).

2. Apps and games, both are good. Any apps I download would have to be useful to me, games would have to keep me engaged.

3. Either are good but there is a third option which is free with ads and an IAP to remove them, that seems to be popular as well.

Good feedback, thanks :). Your absolutely right about #3, IAP is the current model everyone's using. It certainly can bring in serious cash to developers.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to finally build and test two games on my lumia running 8.1 last night. But they were both quite sluggish. I'll have to make some tweaks to get them playable.

But one step closer :)

GGreat stuff. (my phone is doubling the first letter????). There are often devs in the forums asking for beta testers, so I would encourage you to do likewise. It will give you a broad range of devices for your software to be tested on.

Not sure what markets you intend on selling in, but there is a user on WC that actively offers to help devs get apps into the South American Windows Phone Marketplace. From what I have gleaned, it is actually a very simple process, and just requires minimal effort from you.

One more thing, for me, achievements are a big selling point. Be nice to see them, but I imagine it would need a little more work when making the games.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the silence. I was approved as a PlayStation developer this week. So I've been busy getting ready for the change :). Still reworking a few games for WP.

The good news is my fav one has achievements and unlockables

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb