Porting Apps: Input needed on what you'd like to see

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, this is kind of an open question for anyone interested :)

I'm typically a BBRY/Droid developer, but lately I've been pushing more into additional mobile spaces and starting to look towards native Windows apps. Right now I'm in the midst of a series of 'Simple' games focused on bowling / golf / pool. And a bigger vector/8bit bloom style action gaming.

I'm still doing what I can to get my hands on testing hardware BUT I'm ready to start porting some of my apps and games... My current bbry portfolio: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/18376/

Now, WP is totally new to me. And I spoke to some contacts at Microsoft for feedback, but I know that the community here is also a great way to gauge the market.

The bombardment of questions:

Are there any apps in my portfolio you guys would see value in me rebuilding for WP?

Do you prefer apps or games?

And do you prefer free with ads, or 99c apps?

Sorry for the open questions you guys probably get these a lot. But I'd much rather make a change to include WP over more Droid development... and I have no love for iOS. I want to make sure my first few focus on things you guys can get excited about! Thoughts? Thank you for any insight :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi KermEd and welcome to Windows Central!

I remember you from CrackBerry, but I never knew you're a developer. Maybe that's because you've only done BB10 apps, and I left BlackBerry before it was released.

My preference for apps is a trial version with ads that are removed if one purchases the full version.

Good luck with your apps.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Exactly what Laura said.

If the games you're offering are the type with a lot of replay value, which people play over and over again, then I've heard some developers say that in those situations, they prefer to stick with advertising, since that potentially represents a continual revenue stream.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd love a Bridge game (cards). That's a lot of work though because it is a complicated game. I paid $20 for the Bridge Baron app on my iPhone, and I'd be willing to pay it again to have it back.

Also, some network utilities would be good. SSH and telnet clients, and a ping utility for single or a range of IPs. Last I checked there weren't any, although that may have changed.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Good points thanks! I think your both right. Yup! Busy bee on CB, I think they made me an ambassador mostly because of my apps... I recognize your username but new profile pic since? Anyways!.. this might work out well.

I'm in the process of releasing a pretty fun little game and I'm about to do the Windows portion. I'll roll the dice and take your advice and see how it plays out :). I like the trial/ads/unlock idea.

I was debating straight up advertisements and just keeping them free... the downside is that model doesn't work on BlackBerry (those folks don't like ads at all) but it has worked OK for me on 'droid. It might play better here. Hmm lots to think about :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good points thanks! I think your both right. Yup! Busy bee on CB, I think they made me an ambassador mostly because of my apps... I recognize your username but new profile pic since? Anyways!.. this might work out well.

I'm in the process of releasing a pretty fun little game and I'm about to do the Windows portion. I'll roll the dice and take your advice and see how it plays out :). I like the trial/ads/unlock idea.

I was debating straight up advertisements and just keeping them free... the downside is that model doesn't work on BlackBerry (those folks don't like ads at all) but it has worked OK for me on 'droid. It might play better here. Hmm lots to think about :)
You might remember me as lak611.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
There is an app I want, and excuse me if I Make a shambles of the explanation. I need an app that maps wireless channels used. My fibre provider always harps on about searching which wireless channels are being used, and ensuring you swap to a free one. They used to link to one called ssd insider, or something like that. But I noticed some worrying reviews. I searched the Windows Phone store, but nothing. Clearly not an everyday app, so a 99c price would be needed.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For small time-waster games I don't use a lot, I don't mind ads. Chances are I won't keep it or use it long enough/often enough for the ads to bug me... But a $0.99 removal option is always good in case I do like it enough. Put me down for puzzle/strategy type things for the most part. Bowling sounds good. Cards are always a nice diversion.

Now if it is a utility, tool or something that I want as a go to problem solver... I hate ads. I'm not adverse to paying for something the actually does something productive. I prefer to just buy it outright provided it gets a good review or reputation that I can research.

Thanks so much for taking a pulse and checking in with your potential customer base. Refreshing and appreciated. We don't this type of effort often enough, IMHO.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm more an app person (have no installed games as we speak). I generally prefer an unlimited trial without ads for about 7 days and if I like what I see, I don't mind forking out 99c.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I'd love a Bridge game (cards). That's a lot of work though because it is a complicated game. ...
Also, some network utilities would be good. SSH and telnet clients, and a ping utility for single or a range of IPs. Last I checked there weren't any, although that may have changed.

I hear you. I love my late night puzzle esque games. Usually Sudoku and Freecell. It's more than doable :)

For network utilities that's easy, I have a telnet and network client for BlackBerry I can redo for Windows with little effort. Consider it on the roadmap!

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I need an app that maps wireless channels used. My fibre provider always harps on about searching which wireless channels are being used, and ensuring you swap to a free one.

Actually this was a really good explanation. I use inssider as well, I'll take a look at the network framework for Windows and see what it allows. I know on 'droid they have a good scanner, and with Windows being able to match droid functionality I imagine it should be doable on Win as well.

Sounds like productivity tools are a plus. Any need for notepad++ concept style apps or anything therein? I know Microsoft has some strong office software now on mobile with 8.1 and into 10 - but not sure on text editing and html / xml / js type editing....

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'd love a Bridge game (cards). That's a lot of work though because it is a complicated game. I paid $20 for the Bridge Baron app on my iPhone, and I'd be willing to pay it again to have it back.

There's an app called Network Utilities in the Store that does all that and more.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're used to open android development you may be frustrated with windows phone because it has a lot of restriction. It is more similar to iOS in terms of software restrictions than desktop windows
Nevertheless, welcome to Windows! Looking forward to trying out your apps

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
If you're used to open android development you may be frustrated with windows phone because it has a lot of restriction. It is more similar to iOS in terms of software restrictions than desktop windows
Nevertheless, welcome to Windows! Looking forward to trying out your apps

Thanks James. I'm actually familiar with the ecosystem from a coding perspective. The most frustrating part for me was the SDK system if you want to build from 7.5 to 10.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually this was a really good explanation. I use inssider as well, I'll take a look at the network framework for Windows and see what it allows. I know on 'droid they have a good scanner, and with Windows being able to match droid functionality I imagine it should be doable on Win as well.....

You would have to charge for it though, I cannot see it giving you much ad revenue, it is a bit niche and not something that would be used as much as a game. I'd pay 99c for it.

I would also like an app for editing the dictionary in my phone. Shocked MS doesn't have the facility built in to be fair.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
You would have to charge for it though, I cannot see it giving you much ad revenue, it is a bit niche and not something that would be used as much as a game. I'd pay 99c for it.

I would also like an app for editing the dictionary in my phone. Shocked MS doesn't have the facility built in to be fair.

Cool! I'll see what I can do :). I've been recovering this weekend from wisdom tooth removal. The t3s had some unexpected complications. But I'll be starting to look into this stuff this week.

I did speak with an insider/friend at Microsoft who's helping me get established. It's pretty exciting - I'm a bit worried about competing on an ecosystem that could bloom quickly. The android bbry hybrid model had quite an impact on my BlackBerry sales - the amazon store addition effectively added 4x the apps for competition. But I anticipate some strong Microsoft growth once the big flagships arrive.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I did speak with an insider/friend at Microsoft who's helping me get established. It's pretty exciting - I'm a bit worried about competing on an ecosystem that could bloom quickly. The android bbry hybrid model had quite an impact on my BlackBerry sales - the amazon store addition effectively added 4x the apps for competition. But I anticipate some strong Microsoft growth once the big flagships arrive.

I think that any dev offering something good should consider Windows Phone to be the place to go for less competition! Get the apps in there, hopefully to some decent reviews, and then if there is a flood, you have some decent stats. I am biased though. I'm keen to see more devs choose Windows Phone.

Good luck.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I think that any dev offering something good should consider Windows Phone to be the place to go for less competition! Get the apps in there, hopefully to some decent reviews, and then if there is a flood, you have some decent stats. I am biased though. I'm keen to see more devs choose Windows Phone.

Good luck.

True! There are four or five developers in my circle that are starting to push in this direction :) it's certainly an attractive platform to get onto.

I'm looking forward to some powerhouse phones and saw a few on the roadmap coming up. (powerhouse: quad core, 3->4gb ram, high res - something to challenge my passport :D). Once I start using it regularly then it becomes much easier to work on!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb