The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-15-2015 10:29 AM
62 123
tools
    ^ still much better than in many non-english speaking countries though.

I get why MS prioritizes large markets over small ones, and languages with hundreds of millions of speakers over languages with less than 10 million.

Still, MS waits far to long to get their services running everywhere, and ties far more services to the region setting than they should (optimally, it would control nothing but the store). It wouldn't be that bad if Apple and Google had the same problems, but they don't.
    05-08-2015 08:31 AM
    I also own a Lumia 920, and it has worked great for me but i just want Wordflow and Quiet hours and to be honest i don't understand why both aren't enabled every where... why on earth would "Quiet hours" require Cortana? (i don't see the connection, i can understand that it would get more functions when you have Cortana but the basics should be there all the time?).
    And why isn't wordflow just enabled on all keyboards what more data than the dictionary and the keyboard layout do they need?
    Would you really want Quiet Hours integrated everywhere in the OS, because that's what would have to happen if it didn't integrate with Cortana. Not only that but Cortana is required for the Inner Circle which is also required for Quiet Hours.

Basically Microsoft would need to strip most of the functionality out of Cortana to get it working independently, which would defeat the point of having Cortana in the first place.
    05-08-2015 09:44 PM
    Would you really want Quiet Hours integrated everywhere in the OS, because that's what would have to happen if it didn't integrate with Cortana. Not only that but Cortana is required for the Inner Circle which is also required for Quiet Hours.

Basically Microsoft would need to strip most of the functionality out of Cortana to get it working independently, which would defeat the point of having Cortana in the first place.
    Then MS should work fast to make it available for all countries.

However
    I think its been 12 months since Cortana launched and how many countries it's available????

The speed which MS is going with, I think it will take decades to do that.
    05-09-2015 02:05 AM
    It'll take 5 years from the rate they are going yeh
    05-09-2015 02:30 AM
    No just that.. I cant evan buy surface in my country (Croatia)... . When i switch to us region all msn apps r much better. Im sick of that suport
    05-09-2015 02:48 AM
    Hi i live in Sweden and currently own a Lumia 920, but its getting old and its soon time to change..
    So my options are get a android phone or wait until Windows 10 and get a new flag ship phone then, but i don't know if i want to support Microsoft anymore when they can't be bothers to enable all features for Swedish customers..

I don't care about Cortana, but what i do care about is the swype like keyboard (i can't really see the problem with enabling it for all keyboard layouts???)
    and the "Quiet hours" function would be nice..

So are there any workarounds to get those functions or should i just give up on MS? (Note i'm normally a MS Fanboy but i don't know if its wise to be one when they don't give a dam about smaller countries).
    Windows phone is a US first and foremost phone with limited functionality outside of the US, other operating systems seem to be able to make there phones o/s complete for other countries, is wp worth using outside of the USA ? Probably not and its doubtful wp10 will be different to previous iteration's, if you want full and total apple is the best bet
    Senrir and a5cent like this.
    05-09-2015 02:49 AM

However
    I think its been 12 months since Cortana launched and how many countries it's available????

You do know that Cortana relies heavily on Bing, which means that if those back end services aren't in place then Cortana simply won't work and if they have a lot of work to do to implement those services then, yes it will take 12+ months to get Cortana working.

Why do you think the UK and China didn't get Cortana at the same time as the US?
    05-09-2015 04:55 AM
    Windows phone is a US first and foremost phone with limited functionality outside of the US, other operating systems seem to be able to make there phones o/s complete for other countries, is wp worth using outside of the USA ? Probably not and its doubtful wp10 will be different to previous iteration's, if you want full and total apple is the best bet
    WP in the UK is as fully featured as the US version, nice generalisation there though. Do you think Microsoft will be bothered to support WP in countries with limited functionality if no one uses it?
    05-09-2015 05:00 AM
    You do know that Cortana relies heavily on Bing, which means that if those back end services aren't in place then Cortana simply won't work and if they have a lot of work to do to implement those services then, yes it will take 12+ months to get Cortana working.

Why do you think the UK and China didn't get Cortana at the same time as the US?
    Then explain to us how Google has managed to make all Android features available in most countries but Microsoft still is unable to do it for Windows Phone.

Keep in mind that Microsoft has been selling it's software for decades in these countries, Google started much later. The fact that Microsoft still does not support these countries properly just shows that either they are horrendously slow, or they actually don't care about these countries, my guess it's the latter.
    a5cent likes this.
    05-09-2015 05:51 AM

However

Local available in
    US
    Australia
    Canada
    India
    China
    UK
    Germany
    France
    Spain
    Italy

So in only 10 countries from the about 195 in the world.
    About the half of the European's can use Cortana in their home-country but they only live in the "big" countries.
    a5cent, D M C and pericle like this.
    05-09-2015 06:52 AM
    Local available in
    US
    Australia
    Canada
    India
    China
    UK
    Germany
    France
    Spain
    Italy

About the half of the European's can use Cortana in their home-country but they only live in the "big" countries.
    Thanks that was good info. I didn't know that.

Now the next question how much time Google now and Siri taken to available to those all countries?
    And how much time MS will take to catch up with them?
    I just want to know how MS fast is progressing compare to competitors.
    05-09-2015 07:05 AM

Now the next question how much time Google now and Siri taken to available to those all countries?
    I just think that there is no hard and fast rule that MS must catch up with the competition. As it is now, by changing the region, everyone in the world can use Cortana.

Also it is notable that the abilities of cortana is far more better than other digital assistants, keeping in mind the short time frame from its launch.

Seeing from a developers perspective, MS is in the right track, as they are developing all the capabilities using English as the main language and after developing all the planned capabilities it easier to deploy the same capabilities on different languages.
    05-09-2015 07:31 AM
    But if you change your region then you can't buy anything. It is incredibly poor software design that you are forced to remove one feature to be able to utilise another.
    a5cent and D M C like this.
    05-09-2015 07:56 AM
    I also own a Lumia 920, and it has worked great for me but i just want Wordflow and Quiet hours and to be honest i don't understand why both aren't enabled every where... why on earth would "Quiet hours" require Cortana? (i don't see the connection, i can understand that it would get more functions when you have Cortana but the basics should be there all the time?).
    And why isn't wordflow just enabled on all keyboards what more data than the dictionary and the keyboard layout do they need?
    FYI word flow is more then a keyboard and a dictionary.
    Microsoft's new Word Flow keyboard is the best smartphone text entry system | ZDNet
    That said I totally understand that you want it.
    05-09-2015 09:39 AM

No idea when or if Microsoft will catch up. And which country/language will be next or what criteria Microsoft uses.
    Maybe some more Spanish speaking countries because Cortana already "understands" Spanish.
    Or Portuguese(Portugal, Brazil) Russian, Vietnamese, Turkish, Thai, Polish because these languages are spoken in countries with a lot of people.
    Or maybe it is Spanish in the US because they "only" need to introduce the language because the "rest" is already available.
    Or Hindi or Bengali or Punjab or Telugu or Marathi or Tamil or Urdu in India?

Anyhow I guess if you are in the next "batch of Cortana countries" you probably agree with Microsoft criteria (I would).
    a5cent, Laura Knotek and neo158 like this.
    05-09-2015 10:44 AM
    Local available in
    US
    Australia
    Canada
    India
    China
    UK
    Germany
    France
    Spain
    Italy

It's probably worth mentioning that although Cortana is in Australia, it's only marginally better than the old search function, spoken or otherwise.
    05-10-2015 09:41 AM
    It's probably worth mentioning that although Cortana is in Australia, it's only marginally better than the old search function, spoken or otherwise.
    Thanks for the feedback and indeed even if you have it that does not mean it's "useful" or "flawless" and continues updates/improvements are needed.
    And to further complete my list,
    US, Canada, Australia and China have the Beta version. ("most" advanced)
    Spain, UK, India, France, Germany and Italy have the Alfa version. ("least" advanced)
    Rest of the world has nothing or they have to change the region to get a version with all the additional cons.
    a5cent likes this.
    05-10-2015 11:11 AM
    Local available in
    US
    Australia
    Canada
    India
    China
    UK
    Germany
    France
    Spain
    Italy

That list gets a lot shorter if you exclude Alphas and Betas?
    MS is a US-centric company. Always has been, always will be. They like glitzy launches in their own saturated market. They are too big and slow to do anything else.
    The competition capitalised on that by being able to localize product, quickly.
    So no, the OP shouldn't stick with WP if he wants a full feature set the same time as it's released elsewhere. Apple's a better bet.
    a5cent and Guytronic like this.
    05-10-2015 11:43 AM
    Ms could at least begin with making speech recognition available in more languages than the big ones, that would restore some confidence in their seriousness.
    Harrie-S and a5cent like this.
    05-10-2015 01:38 PM
    Spain, UK, India, France, Germany and Italy have the Alfa version. ("least" advanced)
    Rest of the world has nothing or they have to change the region to get a version with all the additional cons.
    What's really bugged me is that MS hasn't even considered it worth their time to tell us what the differences between alpha and beta Cortana are.

As a result, anyone reading a blog about Cortana outside the U.S. has no idea if that information applies to them or not. Finding out is all trial and error.

Just as bad, it's very hard to get excited over going from alpha to beta Cortana, because nobody knows what the differences are.

People outside the U.S. are thinking either they'll never get Cortana, or they've realized it doesn't do half the things for them they've read about online. Few can imagine why other than "they don't care about us". That impression sticks!

It's a shame that one of MS' favorite services, and one they are rightfully proud of, is being paraded only in front of U.S. audiences. From everyone else's point of view, Cortana is publicly being dragged through the mud.

What a great way to waste a marketing tool/opportunity.
    05-10-2015 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the feedback and indeed even if you have it that does not mean it's "useful" or "flawless" and continues updates/improvements are needed.
    Why do people insist that the UK has the Alpha version of Cortana, we don't.

The US, UK and China have the beta and Canada, Spain, Australia, India, France, Germany and Italy have the Alpha version, the latter three I'm not too sure about.
    Last edited by neo158; 05-11-2015 at 01:13 PM.
    05-11-2015 11:30 AM
    That list gets a lot shorter if you exclude Alphas and Betas?
    MS is a US-centric company. Always has been, always will be. They like glitzy launches in their own saturated market. They are too big and slow to do anything else.
    The competition capitalised on that by being able to localize product, quickly.
    So no, the OP shouldn't stick with WP if he wants a full feature set the same time as it's released elsewhere. Apple's a better bet.
    Exclude the Alpha and Beta versions and that list doesn't exist!!!
    a5cent likes this.
    05-11-2015 11:31 AM
    Why do people insist that the UK has the Alpha version of Cortana, we don't.

The US, UK, Canada and China have the beta and Spain, Australia, India, France, Germany and Italy have the Alpha version, the latter three I'm not too sure about.
    INSIST is a to big word I just copied Wikipedia Microsoft Cortana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and your info must then come from another source (which is more reliable then Wikipedia I guess).
    Whatever it underlines the point of a5cent "what is the difference between alfa and beta".

Update 20:13

I found on the Microsoft page the Cortana versions.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...e-availability
    Cortana

Cortana is available in the following countries/regions: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, United States. For info about how to get an early preview version of Cortana in your locale, see Cortana alpha.

Cortana alpha

With the release of Windows Phone 8.1 Update, an alpha version (or early preview) of Cortana will be available in:
    • Australia
    • Canada (English)
    • France
    • Germany
    • India (English)
    • Italy
    • Spain
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho.../cortana-alpha
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 05-11-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    05-11-2015 12:01 PM
    INSIST is a to big word I just copied Wikipedia Microsoft Cortana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and your info must then come from another source (which is more reliable then Wikipedia I guess).
    Whatever it underlines the point of a5cent "what is the difference between alfa and beta".
    I never quote from Wikipedia. The info is from Microsoft Cortana alpha for Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States) and from my own usage here in the UK.

Features differ in each region though most of the differences are in the amount of interests available.
    a5cent likes this.
    05-11-2015 01:13 PM
    Just also found it and updated my previous post.
    neo158, Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    05-11-2015 01:15 PM
62 123